I’m going on a Carnival cruise, and I’m bringing a...

mistyinca

Please explain. What does a gift card have to do with a safe?

The safes on some ships open with any card with a magnetic stripe, such as your Sail & Sign card, credit card, or a gift card.

Gift cards are also useful for the ships that require a card to be placed in a slot for the lights to work.

The safes on some ships open with any card with a magnetic stripe, such as your Sail & Sign card, credit card, or a gift card.

Gift cards are also useful for the ships that require a card to be placed in a slot for the lights to work.

I'm not sure if the safes on all ships use the magnetic strip... some may be keypad... can anyone else confirm?

Some use magnetic strips, some have a keypad. I take an old princess or royal caribbean card to use for the safe and/or light switch. The light switch needing some sort of card is another thing that is on the newer ships but not on the older ones.

I am STILL confused.:confused: We are to do the Magic, are you saying we need some type of card to turn the lights on/off????

I'm not sure about the Magic, but many ship cabins (and hotel rooms) have a slot near the door by the light switch. You need to have a card in that slot - some people have had success with just a business card/no magnetic strip - to keep the lights on. Some people just use their room key card (which is really the intent) and then grab it when they leave. The reason some bring an extra card is to leave something in all the time so they can charge devices while out of the room. We find charging overnight while in the room to be sufficient for anything we are charging.

I am STILL confused.:confused: We are to do the Magic, are you saying we need some type of card to turn the lights on/off????

You can put your Sign and Sail card in the slot. The idea is that the power comes on when you enter the room, and then you take your card, shutting the lights when you leave to save energy. You can use any card with a magnetic strip though, if you want to leave the lights on when you leave the room.

Super glue my wife always breaks a nail/ travel mug for drinks and coffee / extension cord w multi outlets/ pop up air freshener/ night light if you have a inside room/blow up ice bucket for left over beers in your room/if you drink coffee order a carafe of coffee first day at room service then hid it all week and you can fill that up at buffet and take back to room instead of filling up little cups and walking to your room hope this helps have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can't you just ask for a bucket of ice? We always had one in our room.... but that could just have been one that my roommate nabbed when he ordered a bucket if beer

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for "explaining" about needing a card for the light switch. I have never been on any ship where this was done. All we did was hit the switch to either turn on/off the light. Guess ???? I'll soon find out about the card deal. Sounds like a pain to me, as we always turn the lights out when we leave the room.

Thanks for "explaining" about needing a card for the light switch. I have never been on any ship where this was done. All we did was hit the switch to either turn on/off the light. Guess ???? I'll soon find out about the card deal. Sounds like a pain to me, as we always turn the lights out when we leave the room.

We are the same way - always turn out the lights before leaving the cabin. The reason we leave a spare card in the slot is so we don't have to take our s&s card from around our neck if it's on the lanyard. Sometimes you just need to run back to the room for something real quick, so it's a pain to have to put the card in the slot, get what you came for, remember to take the card back out of the slot, etc. It's just easier for us to leave a card in the slot & turn the lights on & off manually.

Funny story.

I always pack a couple of "travel size" rolls just in case. My dh was making fun of me and told me it was a waste of money and space. Well, during one of our excursions in Belize, dh needed to use the porta potti.

He went in and came right back out and said "where is the tp you bought." I should have handed him a leaf but I gave him the Charmin instead. lol

Funny story-- I got chased down by a bathroom attendant in St. Martin for using "too much" toilet paper. My first thought was the roll was almost empty. My second thought was how the heck do you know how much toilet paper I used??!! :o:o

I take a bunch of ziploc gallon bags and an umbrella. The ziploc bags have many uses but the best one yet was when we were returning from the beach in Cozumel. As we walked through the store at the port, it stormed ! We were all still wet so that wasn’t the problem, we put our phones in a ziploc bag. We will also put our bottled water in the cooler the night before a sea day or port day and can take ice cold bottles of water or soda with us to the pool or deck. We usually take our yeti cups but when we don’t want to carry it around, this is a good substitute. I have had a lot of uses for them. The other thing I always bring is tums or pepto, aspirin, Tylenol and Benedryl. These have come in very handy. I pack a small backpack or beach bag or sling packs for the beach. Cheap, fold up flat and convenient to take to the beach or to the pool. We have snacks in our cabin and I also keep a roll of paper towels in case we want snacks, there are no paper towels on the ship. The small box of dollar store pop up foil packs are also another thing that I have since we are big snackers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For fun and for tips and hacks.

Post ONE item you’re bringing on your cruise (that many may not have thought of) and explain how it’s a cruise hack (if not obvious).

Here’s mine:

An alarm clock. I have a cheap digital battery operated clock that lights up when you tap it. It helps to see in the cabin in the dark and it’s nice to know what time it is.

Misty

Next cruise: 3/3/18 Carnival Magic

I bring my 10 inch tablet, has 80 plus movies, can access the internet when ashore, or when we buy internet on the ship!:D

Cotton balls (much softer than earplugs)

6 outlet USB charger (4 phones, 4 tablets - you get the idea)

Small first aid kit

Sarna (best itch relief and sunburn lotion all in one bottle)

Gin Gins (pure ginger root lozenges - great for motion sickness, bloating, upset tummy, gas)

French vanilla creamer is a must!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

A waterproof phone case.

Most people are scared to death of getting their phone wet. The truth is, most newer phones have water resistance built in. Although saltwater is not good for it. Putting a waterproof case over and hopefully getting some pictures of some marine life!

A waterproof phone case.

Most people are scared to death of getting their phone wet. The truth is, most newer phones have water resistance built in. Although saltwater is not good for it. Putting a waterproof case over and hopefully getting some pictures of some marine life!

This is what we use. hands free carrying it around and you can still use your phone while its inside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1430WQ/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i3?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B01I1430WQ&pd_rd_r=60a6ed21-14d2-11e8-b4af-bb8759a2f7d7&pd_rd_w=tw4Un&pd_rd_wg=HBGV8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=W3MYPYDN1JHY41FNC8EY&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=e6624b56-7cc1-411f-9d12-9cc8feb6c214&pf_rd_i=desktop