All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

Definitely not a mistake. The BB category cabins are far superior.

Thanks so much. I feared that I threw 900 dollars out the window since we will not spend that much time inside the cabin. But having the increase in room size (not sure how much of this space is the actual outside balcony vs. inside cabin space)plus the balcony and window will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much. I feared that I threw 900 dollars out the window since we will not spend that much time inside the cabin. But having the increase in room size (not sure how much of this space is the actual outside balcony vs. inside cabin space)plus the balcony and window will be appreciated.

Great choice! River cruise cabins are much smaller than a regular veranda cabin on an ocean vessel, in my opinion. You’ll appreciate the little bit of extra space!

Thank you both very much for the quick replies, beachbumsns and LTC! I will contact my travel agent and ask him to let me know about future unadvertised specials for AMA!

I am also from NS, originally. Living in Ontario now. It would be fun to cruise with people from "home". They might run out of beer, though ;)

Just returned from a week on board the AMAKristina - Amsterdam to Basel. I was going to post a trip report, but because of the heat wave (every day but one in the 90s!) I'm afraid (hope) my experience is pretty unusual. We had a couple of excursions cancelled because of it. I'm happy to answer any questions, however. We were a large group of 12, which also made our experiences different than most.

Because of the heat, no one had enough clothes (you just couldn't wear anything twice!) and I'm sure the ship's laundry was busier than normal. We were in a suite, and laundry was free, but the others said it wasn't very expensive.

It is a beautiful ship and the crew is friendly and efficient. The food was surprisingly good and the soups particularly were exceptional. They always had a seafood option and vegetarian option. Attire was all over the place. The guys in our group were jackets to the Chef's Table and the night of the Captains Gala Dinner, but only because that was there preference. Most did not and it was fine. And there was one guy that I swear wore the same pair of cargo shorts and a t-shirt all day every day. He was a nice guy, having fun, and no one cared what he wore.

I do recommend you bring bincoculars - we picked up a couple of pair at Dick's on sale for less than $30. They were small and light, so I didn't mind carrying them around in my backpack, though they were the most useful and fun on the "castle cruise" part.

The tour guides they used were all great, informative and great senses of humor, though sometimes they tended to march at the head of the group and sometimes seemed to forget they had people behind them. But when we would call to them they would immediately stop and answer any questions or concerns, usually while laughing at themselves for getting so involved in their spiel..

A couple of the days seemed rushed - especially Heidleberg, where we didn't dock until noon and had to be back to the ship by 5:45. By the time you took the bus to town, and then an excursion, there really was no time for seeing the town, or shopping. It didn't seem to make sense, since we didn't leave port the night before until after midnight. It would have been nice to leave earlier, dock earlier and been a little more relaxed. But I know there may be logistics that I'm not aware of that might dictate this schedule.

Please let me know if there is anything else

Thank you both very much for the quick replies, beachbumsns and LTC! I will contact my travel agent and ask him to let me know about future unadvertised specials for AMA!

I am also from NS, originally. Living in Ontario now. It would be fun to cruise with people from "home". They might run out of beer, though ;)

fayew, our cruise in May, on the AMADante, Medieval Treasures had 130 people, 60 were Canadian and 1/2 of them were from Nova Scotia and our hometown. We all knew someone that knew someone. It was one big kitchen party. Had a great time and made new friends from here. The waiters were busy at the new "Sip and Sail" pre dinner cocktail time, lol.

Our cruise isn’t until June 2019 but airfares will be on sale soon.

Does AmaWaterways sell transfers from Munich to Nuremberg? We are not doing a pre-cruise or post cruise tour.

We will arrive two days early to prevent the near disaster we had last year when we missed our connection in Atlanta due to thunder storms. We arrived at our cruise ship just an hour before the ship was to sail.

Our cruise isn’t until June 2019 but airfares will be on sale soon.

Does AmaWaterways sell transfers from Munich to Nuremberg? We are not doing a pre-cruise or post cruise tour.

We will arrive two days early to prevent the near disaster we had last year when we missed our connection in Atlanta due to thunder storms. We arrived at our cruise ship just an hour before the ship was to sail.

We bought transfer from Nuremberg to airport but not sure about Munich. We had issues with weather but the airline provided us with taxi to Frankfurt when flights couldn't leave from Nuremberg.

I'm recently back from the AMA Viola Melodies of the Danube. I do have all the daily programs. The file is too large to post to this thread, but if anyone wants to see them, I'd be happy to email them to you. Barbara

Hi Barbara

Could I trouble you to email them to me please

Shonemanfamily@comcast.net

Thanks so much

Can’t wait to go

Meryl

We returned back from a Magnificent Europe river cruise on AMA in July. We were talking to our travel agent about the cruise (which was excellent) on our return when she told us that if we were interested in the Colors of Provence river cruise in late October, that it was a 2 for 1 special. We jumped on that and will be doing that cruise. We have been on 4 AMA cruises and our TA has let us know on a couple of occasions that certain cruises are 2 for 1 but not advertised on the AMA website. From what I remember these specials seem to be in the early spring or late fall and in that time frame there are a number of cruises on sale but this is the 1st time the dates have worked for us.

When you say TA do you mean an AMA consultant or a personal travel agent? I have had great rapport with our AMA consultant in my researching our first river cruise.

When you say TA do you mean an AMA consultant or a personal travel agent? I have had great rapport with our AMA consultant in my researching our first river cruise.

I mean a personal travel agent. Haven't used a AMA consultant when booking their cruises. We get a $300. discount on 7 day cruises, $600. on 14 day cruises plus a bottle of wine and chocolates when booking with our TA. Too good a deal to pass up!

I mean a personal travel agent. Haven't used a AMA consultant when booking their cruises. We get a $300. discount on 7 day cruises, $600. on 14 day cruises plus a bottle of wine and chocolates when booking with our TA. Too good a deal to pass up!

I should have mentioned that was per couple not per person. I wish it was! ;)

Looking forward to boarding Amastella in Basel on August 20. A couple of wine questions:

I read somewhere that prosecco is served during breakfast. Is this true?

Sip and Sail sounds great. Is there a charge?

Yes, prosecco is served at breakfast and there is no charge for Sip and Sail. You can drink all you want in that hour!

We just booked our first Ama and second ever river cruise. I like the challenge of finding a good deal. I did my research and took it to an agent she called Ama and all I heard her say was, "Oh really, Oh really!" We booked the Danube in November with free air and transfers, $4oo discount per person, $75 per person on board credit, Wine and chocolates.

And a very big thank you to Ama waterways who just emailed us giving us a free category upgrade.

Looking forward to boarding Amastella in Basel on August 20. A couple of wine questions:

Sip and Sail includes wine (sparkling included) beer and spirits. There is a drink menu that tells what is included and every night there is a special cocktail such as Cuba Libre, Gin Fizz, Whiskey Sour, Tequila Sunrise.

We just booked our first Ama and second ever river cruise. I like the challenge of finding a good deal. I did my research and took it to an agent she called Ama and all I heard her say was, "Oh really, Oh really!" We booked the Danube in November with free air and transfers, $4oo discount per person, $75 per person on board credit, Wine and chocolates.

And a very big thank you to Ama waterways who just emailed us giving us a free category upgrade.

Wow! Excellent deal. You will have a great time on AMA. Enjoy your cruise!

No charge for sip and sail, there is a menu that you can choose a drink from, and they have the cocktail of the day. Also, there is a prosecco table with a table for freshly squeezed orange juice. You are treated very well on this cruise line.

Do posting guidelines permit you to share how/where you found such a great deal?

fayew, our cruise in May, on the AMADante, Medieval Treasures had 130 people, 60 were Canadian and 1/2 of them were from Nova Scotia and our hometown. We all knew someone that knew someone. It was one big kitchen party. Had a great time and made new friends from here. The waiters were busy at the new "Sip and Sail" pre dinner cocktail time, lol.

What was your weather like in May?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just returned from a week on board the AMAKristina - Amsterdam to Basel. I was going to post a trip report, but because of the heat wave (every day but one in the 90s!) I'm afraid (hope) my experience is pretty unusual. We had a couple of excursions cancelled because of it. I'm happy to answer any questions, however. We were a large group of 12, which also made our experiences different than most.

Because of the heat, no one had enough clothes (you just couldn't wear anything twice!) and I'm sure the ship's laundry was busier than normal. We were in a suite, and laundry was free, but the others said it wasn't very expensive.

Thanks for the details. We are booked on the 8/20 trip from Basel to Amsterdam on Amastella. Was hoping to escape the heat of Florida but it does not look like that will happen. Warm/hot weather will certainly affect our final wardrobe choices. Sounds like shorts during the day...

Does the ship have AC?

What was your weather like in May?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perfect, mostly shorts/tshirts or capri pants. We took some warmer clothes but even when we were up on Mount Pilatus, it was sunny and beautiful. We lucked in as last year we went in April and had sunshine but then it turned rainy with a bit of snow. Thanks for layers.