All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

Hello all. I just read through this entire thread (whew, and thanks for all the great information) and have a couple of questions that I haven't seen addressed here.

I've done a lot of ocean cruising but I'm planning my first river cruise in July. I will be travelling alone and am wondering how welcoming AMA life on board is for solo travelers. I'd love to hear any impressions about that.

Also, I'm loving the Grand Danube itinerary, but two things stand out for me after reading this thread. Is the Danube likely to have water level troubles in July? It's an entirely new question for me to consider. The AmaCerto is the boat for that trip, and I really haven't noticed any comments about her here. Would anyone who's sailed on her fill me in a bit?

We were on an AMA cruise just over a year ago.  There were a few singles on the cruise. We invited one gentleman to each lunch with us and often saw him dining with other couples as well and joining in with different groups of people on excursions.   The staff on board goes above and beyond, so although we went as a couple, I’m sure they strive to make solo travelers comfortable.

As for the water levels, we did our Danube cruise in November.  Water levels were fine until the end and we were bussed to Budapest.  In the thread leading up to the cruise some trips in the summer and autumn were a real problem due to very low levels.  That said, you never know depending upon snow and rain fall in the winter.   When we were bussed to Budapest, we were put up in a five star hotel for the evening and although we had to pack everything to leave the boat a few days early and certainly missed the staff, AMA did everything possible to make the rest of the trip wonderful.  

Hi, I sailed with AMA back in April 2016 on their TULIP TIME Cruise and it was my first river cruise.  I felt  treated

just fine.  It is very easy to meet other folks on board.   I always travel solo and when you ask how life is on board?

Very relaxing and comfortable.  To be honest, during the days you are off the boat doing a lot of excursions.

I found it very easy to meet others and share dinner tables with different folks on multiple evenings.  I am sailing

with them again this April on The Douro and very much looking forward to it.:classic_smile:

Hi, I'm also a ocean cruiser looking to do my first river cruise with Ama this coming November on the Danube.  Are certain times of the year more likely to have water issues than others?  We have a large project at work this year so I have several months, including a good part of the summer when I can take an extended trip so that's why I'm looking at November plus I tend to like visiting Europe during the low season.  I'm ok with the cooler temps as I'm from Minnesota.

3 hours ago, katmu said:

Hi, I'm also a ocean cruiser looking to do my first river cruise with Ama this coming November on the Danube.  Are certain times of the year more likely to have water issues than others?  We have a large project at work this year so I have several months, including a good part of the summer when I can take an extended trip so that's why I'm looking at November plus I tend to like visiting Europe during the low season.  I'm ok with the cooler temps as I'm from Minnesota.

Try this thread:

Hi Katmu

we loved cruising in early November.  The weather was very good, holiday decorations just coming out in certain cities, a low crowds.  Off season, in my opinion, is the way to go.  We just booked for November of 2021 and I’m already counting the days (ok, months.....).

• Like 2

We are also looking at November for our next Ama cruise. On one of the boards I read a review of a Markets cruise that wasn't 100% focused on the Christmas shopping. I believe it was even mentioned that the first part of cruise started as usual cruise and they returned to the ship after excursions one day and the ship was decked out! Does anyone have an idea of which cruise that would be? My husband would be quite grateful! lol. 

On 1/6/2020 at 1:33 AM, IslandThyme said:

Hello all. I just read through this entire thread (whew, and thanks for all the great information) and have a couple of questions that I haven't seen addressed here.

I've done a lot of ocean cruising but I'm planning my first river cruise in July. I will be travelling alone and am wondering how welcoming AMA life on board is for solo travelers. I'd love to hear any impressions about that.

Also, I'm loving the Grand Danube itinerary, but two things stand out for me after reading this thread. Is the Danube likely to have water level troubles in July? It's an entirely new question for me to consider. The AmaCerto is the boat for that trip, and I really haven't noticed any comments about her here. Would anyone who's sailed on her fill me in a bit?

Have done 3 AMA cruises. On each one there were singles. Meal times & Sip & Sail are when we got to know the singles- as there is no assigned seating-everyone mingles. So as long as you can start a sentence with Hi my name is & can I join you- you should zero problems. The AMA staff is wonderful and will make you feel you have been with them for 20 yrs

Enjoy

Carole

Hi All,

Looking to book our first River Cruise, after taken many ocean cruises. We are leaning towards the  AMA Magna in June 2021  for the Grand Danube Cruise from Prague to Bucharest.  We would love to hear  more about Ama excursions for this itinerary, and tips about this trip

8 minutes ago, thia9233 said:

Hi All,

Looking to book our first River Cruise, after taken many ocean cruises. We are leaning towards the  AMA Magna in June 2021  for the Grand Danube Cruise from Prague to Bucharest.  We would love to hear  more about Ama excursions for this itinerary, and tips about this trip

Congrats on choosing Amawaterways and the  #1 River Boat in all categories!! Excursions for river cruising are vastly different from ocean cruising.  The main reason is that whatever you choose it is INCLUDED!!!  Typically there are three to pick from and you can pre choose or wait until you are onboard.  Try not to compare Ocean to River cruising. It’s apples to oranges.  Relax and enjoy the sophistication of River cruising❤️😉

On 1/6/2020 at 9:16 PM, cazbg said:

We are also looking at November for our next Ama cruise. On one of the boards I read a review of a Markets cruise that wasn't 100% focused on the Christmas shopping. I believe it was even mentioned that the first part of cruise started as usual cruise and they returned to the ship after excursions one day and the ship was decked out! Does anyone have an idea of which cruise that would be? My husband would be quite grateful! lol. 

To be sure ALL markets are open choose the first week in December.  Last year we Left on our Thanksgiving (US) and a few markets were not open.  It was still a wonderful cruise !!!!!!

8 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

I can't find the descriptions of what's included in pre- and post- cruise stays. Can someone point me in the right direction? When I look at a specific cruise I see where to "add pre-cruise stay" is, but then I don't see an itinerary or any details.

There's a little square just in front of the pre or post cruise land program, just click on that and it should bring up the info you're looking for.

48 minutes ago, LTC said:

There's a little square just in front of the pre or post cruise land program, just click on that and it should bring up the info you're looking for.

I don't know whether this is true of other trips, or just my Mekong trip. Ama gave us no information on the post-cruise days in Ho Chi Minh City at all. It was only when we were on the ship at the end that they posted the optional excursions (all were extra cost except the morning we arrived where the tour was really to keep us out of the way of all the other passengers who were departing from our hotel; they didn't want us to get there too early.) Because it looked like nothing was scheduled, I made my own plans in advance, which I might not have done otherwise.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I don't know whether this is true of other trips, or just my Mekong trip. Ama gave us no information on the post-cruise days in Ho Chi Minh City at all. It was only when we were on the ship at the end that they posted the optional excursions (all were extra cost except the morning we arrived where the tour was really to keep us out of the way of all the other passengers who were departing from our hotel; they didn't want us to get there too early.) Because it looked like nothing was scheduled, I made my own plans in advance, which I might not have done otherwise.

On AMA cruises in Europe the Cruise Director stays with the post-cruise group – and therefore would be able to answer questions at any time onboard.  Is this not how they handle it in Asia?

29 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

On AMA cruises in Europe the Cruise Director stays with the post-cruise group – and therefore would be able to answer questions at any time onboard.  Is this not how they handle it in Asia?

It is true that our cruise director stayed with us, but I didn't think to ask about excursions because I had made plans before I left home. When I looked at my itinerary before departure, it just showed one day arriving in HCMC with an excursion (I think), and nothing showing for the next day. I assumed that I just had a free day in HCMC, so I made my own plans.

I didn't really think of it as a post-cruise extension, although only those of us that had started in Hanoi were on it. (People that joined us in Siem Reap all left on arrival in HCMC.)

4 hours ago, teamflames said:

Is Ama and apt river cruises the same thing?

APT is an Australian company that offers more than just river cruising.  They are a part-owner of AMA and charter AMA ships for certain sailings.  On APT sailings the itineraries often change slightly from the usual AMA ones, and the included amenities are different (e.g. tipping is included).

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

APT is an Australian company that offers more than just river cruising.  They are a part-owner of AMA and charter AMA ships for certain sailings.  On APT sailings the itineraries often change slightly from the usual AMA ones, and the included amenities are different (e.g. tipping is included).

Our sailing was half APT. They had more included tours and tips were included, etc... The people were surprised the ship didn't say "APT".

15 minutes ago, Coral said:

Our sailing was half APT. They had more included tours and tips were included, etc... The people were surprised the ship didn't say "APT".

"half APT" – good thing the auto-filter didn't take this the wrong way!!!

We were recently on a Ponant ocean cruise in the half that was Backroads – we got included tours and other amenities – most other passengers were French, but there may have been some English-speakers.  We are soon to do Ponant directly, but that cruise will be half Tauck and they will get included excursions and I don't know what else.  It definitely changes the vibe of the cruise.

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

"half APT" – good thing the auto-filter didn't take this the wrong way!!!

We were recently on a Ponant ocean cruise in the half that was Backroads – we got included tours and other amenities – most other passengers were French, but there may have been some English-speakers.  We are soon to do Ponant directly, but that cruise will be half Tauck and they will get included excursions and I don't know what else.  It definitely changes the vibe of the cruise.

Too funny.

Yes - it does change the vibe. APT had 2 buses and we had the other 2. It was just weird as we were together on the ship and for meals but segregated otherwise.

Interesting - I have been looking at some Tauck trips. Did you compare prices between Tauck and Ponant?

Edited by Coral

33 minutes ago, Coral said:

Too funny.

Yes - it does change the vibe. APT had 2 buses and we had the other 2. It was just weird as we were together on the ship and for meals but segregated otherwise.

Interesting - I have been looking at some Tauck trips. Did you compare prices between Tauck and Ponant?

Ponant doesn't include excursions - so it is obvious which cost less...

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I didn't compare prices – the Tauck trip includes a land segment in Australia before the cruise and DW said that LAX to Auckland is as far as she's willing to fly [Australia is an extra 2 hours].  Our Backroads trip was definitely more expensive than the Ponant cruise alone – but we felt we got much more out of it and many of the things we did were not available to the Ponant customers.

I have looked into Tauck land trips, but I was put off by the large size of their groups.  After this New Zealand cruise our next trip is a land tour of Andalucia with Classic Journeys (which replaces a cruise that Windstar cancelled out from under us).  The group size is limited to 18 max, and since we stay 2 nights each in Seville, Ronda and Granada (and end with a night in Córdoba) we will have much more time for sightseeing than we would have had on the Windstar port stays – but we will have to pack up and change hotels every 2 days and it is more expensive than the cruise would have been.

20 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

After this New Zealand cruise our next trip is a land tour of Andalucia with Classic Journeys (which replaces a cruise that Windstar cancelled out from under us).  The group size is limited to 18 max, and since we stay 2 nights each in Seville, Ronda and Granada (and end with a night in Córdoba) we will have much more time for sightseeing than we would have had on the Windstar port stays – but we will have to pack up and change hotels every 2 days and it is more expensive than the cruise would have been.

I did a land tour of Andalusia with Amber Road Tours in 2016. We stayed 3 nights in Granada, 2 in Cordoba, 2 in Ronda, 2 in Cadiz and 3 in Seville. Before that I did 9 days in Israel, 4 nights with a friend near Netanya, 1 night in Jerusalem, 2 nights in Ashkelon, and the final night at the airport. Packing cubes are your friends!

Edited by gnome12