Dog on ship, continued

My Ragdoll cat walked on a leash. We brought her home as a kitten when my late husband retired and we were living in our motor home almost full-time for five years. She was immediately leash-trained, as we didn’t want her to be confined to such a small space. Sometimes she walked nicely, sometimes she would randomly and repeatedly flop down on the sidewalk; I got more exercise bending down to pick her up and put her down again when she changed her mind and wanted to walk than I did actually walking. She loved to meet strangers, especially the ones who told her how beautiful she was. She also sat on command and jumped through a hula hoop. The sitting upon command was meant to be a way of stopping her from going into the street if she ever got out of the motor home without her leash, thankfully I never needed to find out if that would work. But... as smart as she was, I can’t imagine how she could have been trained to help me with a medical issue. I think she would have enjoyed being on a ship (she loved riding on the golf cart), but I was smart enough and practical enough to know that it would be extremely inappropriate.

Second, can you imagine how disabled people who are just trying to get through their day the best they can with their medical assistive device would feel if they had to prove their device, be it a Service Dog, a wheelchair, a cane, an oxygen tank, what have you, was legitimate, by showing paperwork each time they entered a building? The laws are written the way they are so that those of us who are disabled and use the assistance of a Service Dog can get through our lives as 'normally' as possible.

People who are allergic to dog or cat dander and suffer from asthma, COPD, bronchiectasis, or cystic fibrosis should not be unnecessarily subjected to having their lungs inflamed. They also have the right to get through their lives as "normally" as possible, and that means being able to breathe.

Respiratory distress produces anxiety and sometimes, death. If a person is lucky enough to survive, they will deal with the physical aftermath and the expense of the meds they needed to take.

A pulmonologist once described each serious "episode" as equivalent to being hit in the chest with a sledgehammer: tachycardia, broken blood vessels in the lungs and throat causing the person to spit up blood, sore ribs and total exhaustion, often resulting in hospitalization.

For those people who suffer from even the mildest form of respiratory disease if it is has proven itself to be serious enough, their disease is considered to be a disability by both the ADA and SSA.

I believe if you were ask someone with a respiratory disease if they had a problem with a true "service animal" that is trained to provide support for a basic physical function that their master is missing or a physical disability, most if not all, would answer no as they can empathize with such people in need.

Insofar as PTSD or mental issues their answers will likely be a bit more split as weighing their failing oxygen saturation levels against someone else not being tachypneic and tachycardic, etc. would likely not quite equal out on their scales.

If you were to ask them about sharing space with "comfort animals," most if not all would say no.

1. Most of these people who suffer from respiratory distress already make necessary concessions in going about their daily routines; they avoid places, people and animals where they are likely to be exposed to dander, dust, pollen, perfumes, mold, grasses, etc. The occasional trained service animal is something they cope with.
  2. They stay in accommodations that are not pet friendly (slowly disappearing since it appears very few people are checking in with their pet, but rather with their service animal) and often incur the additional expense of having to book first class on planes in the hopes of limiting their exposure to the ever-increasing-numbers of "comfort animals" accompanying other passengers. Again, the occasional trained service animal is something they cope with.
  3. Many will tell you that they can't rationalize the "uncertainty" of the necessity for a comfort animal with their necessity for an environment that is reasonably stimuli free.

Personally, I don't believe that anyone should subject another person to physical harm, but I can live with

laws that allow trained service animals to accompany those that they are providing a service for and I do believe that documentation of the animals training should be required.

I do not believe that a person who wishes to travel with a "comfort animal" has the right to jeopardize another person's life for the sake of their "comfort," albeit in any public venue, but especially on planes, in hotel rooms, and on cruise ships.

People who are allergic to dog or cat dander and suffer from asthma, COPD, bronchiectasis, or cystic fibrosis should not be unnecessarily subjected to having their lungs inflamed. They also have the right to get through their lives as "normally" as possible, and that means being able to breathe.

Respiratory distress produces anxiety and sometimes, death. If a person is lucky enough to survive, they will deal with the physical aftermath and the expense of the meds they needed to take.

A pulmonologist once described each serious "episode" as equivalent to being hit in the chest with a sledgehammer: tachycardia, broken blood vessels in the lungs and throat causing the person to spit up blood, sore ribs and total exhaustion, often resulting in hospitalization.

For those people who suffer from even the mildest form of respiratory disease if it is has proven itself to be serious enough, their disease is considered to be a disability by both the ADA and SSA.

I believe if you were ask someone with a respiratory disease if they had a problem with a true "service animal" that is trained to provide support for a basic physical function that their master is missing or a physical disability, most if not all, would answer no as they can empathize with such people in need.

Insofar as PTSD or mental issues their answers will likely be a bit more split as weighing their failing oxygen saturation levels against someone else not being tachypneic and tachycardic, etc. would likely not quite equal out on their scales.

If you were to ask them about sharing space with "comfort animals," most if not all would say no.

1. Most of these people who suffer from respiratory distress already make necessary concessions in going about their daily routines; they avoid places, people and animals where they are likely to be exposed to dander, dust, pollen, perfumes, mold, grasses, etc. The occasional trained service animal is something they cope with.
  2. They stay in accommodations that are not pet friendly (slowly disappearing since it appears very few people are checking in with their pet, but rather with their service animal) and often incur the additional expense of having to book first class on planes in the hopes of limiting their exposure to the ever-increasing-numbers of "comfort animals" accompanying other passengers. Again, the occasional trained service animal is something they cope with.
  3. Many will tell you that they can't rationalize the "uncertainty" of the necessity for a comfort animal with their necessity for an environment that is reasonably stimuli free.

Personally, I don't believe that anyone should subject another person to physical harm, but I can live with

laws that allow trained service animals to accompany those that they are providing a service for and I do believe that documentation of the animals training should be required.

I do not believe that a person who wishes to travel with a "comfort animal" has the right to jeopardize another person's life for the sake of their "comfort," albeit in any public venue, but especially on planes, in hotel rooms, and on cruise ships.

You make excellent points, explaining a lot of things that I would guess most people are not aware of.

You mentioned perfume as something that people with these sensitivities avoid. Honest question...do you feel that people that wear perfume/cologne should refrain from doing so in a setting such as a cruise ship, so as not to cause problems for those that are sensitive to these things? I'm somewhat conflicted over how this differs from those that bring their pets onboard, in terms of the respiratory sensitivity aspects of it.

You make excellent points, explaining a lot of things that I would guess most people are not aware of.

You mentioned perfume as something that people with these sensitivities avoid. Honest question...do you feel that people that wear perfume/cologne should refrain from doing so in a setting such as a cruise ship, so as not to cause problems for those that are sensitive to these things? I'm somewhat conflicted over how this differs from those that bring their pets on-board, in terms of the respiratory sensitivity aspects of it.

Perfume is a tricky issue. Ask a chemist and they will tell you that with very rare exception, most perfumes are primarily chemicals mixed to produce a given scent, albeit musk, floral, citrus, etc. The "essence" or oil of a particular flower or animal scent gland is (if it is there at all) is microscopic.

Things that are perfumed surround us everyday; from those items we use to cleanse ourselves as well as our homes to those items we use to deodorize the same. In the early 1980's, physicans' offices often used those plug-in type air fresheners to mask some of the less pleasant odors produced by their patients in treatment, especially pediatric offices. It wasn't until the AMA published articles linking instances of respiratory distress, vertigo, and headaches to these air fresheners that they were removed. You would be hard pressed to find one in a physician's office these days.

That said, those that bathe/douse themselves in perfumed toiletries see it as their right as part of their daily hygiene and that includes those who spray sunscreen on themselves and their surroundings on the pool decks. The law is on their side as to create any law that would in any way diminish a person's right to cleanse themselves in the manner they see fit would never get off any legislative floor. The law aside, I don't know of many people who consider what is might be like for someone who gets onto the elevator with them or after them and has to hold their breath until they are getting off or risk an asthma attack or who even think about why the person in the lounge chair next to theirs suddenly gets up and leaves after they have lathered themselves up with sunscreen or leaves the MDR after just being seated because the wafting of all those scents is causing the warning signs of an impending asthma attack.

The desperate need for nosegays and perfumes disappeared with indoor plumbing, as soap is cheap (and manufacturers are going more organic and scent free as I write," but to answer your question, "How do I feel?" My feelings really go along with those I expressed in my earlier post about causing harm to others: I don't do it and I wish others would not as well.

I wonder what the cruise line does to ensure that passengers with severe alerigic reactions to pet dander are booked in a safe cabin. Is there a special deep cleaning of their cabin? Are animals restricted to specific cabins to avoid medical issues for future cruisers who could have a bad reaction, or is it just a roll of the dice?

Edited by coordinator23
spelling and clarification

I’m too lazy to go back over the 40+ pages of this thread. Has anyone seen the skit of Chris Pratt trying to check in at an airport with his comfort raptor? I almost fell of the couch laughing!

My 2 cents regarding perfume:

I love to wear it, but my scent of choice is light.

When I was younger I’m sure I wore too much. I read in a magazine that just because you no longer smell your perfume doesn’t mean it’s gone. No need to reaply.

My mother has asthma so I know that even my light scent can affect others. I had a co-worker who had respiratory issues so I never wore perfume if I was going to be around her.

I like to think most people would do their best not to cause others discomfort. They are just unaware.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m too lazy to go back over the 40+ pages of this thread.

M

You’re not lazy. You’re smart.

And nothing in these forty pages is going to change those obnoxious, selfish, entitled, narcissists that try to pass their little froofroo pooches off as real service animals.

It’s BS and they know it.

I wonder what the cruise line does to ensure that passengers with severe alerigic reactions to pet dander are booked in a safe cabin. Is there a special deep cleaning of their cabin? Are animals restricted to specific cabins to avoid medical issues for future cruisers who could have a bad reaction, or is it just a roll of the dice?

Animals are not restricted to specific cabins. Insofar as cleaning goes, you can request through special needs that the cabin be deep cleaned prior to your arrival, but that's no guarantee that your request will be acted upon.

I thought a service animal had to be trained to perform a specific task for their owners? Cats are notorious for not being able to be trained.

I have cat whom I love. But I know I am the pet monkey she keeps around to open her food for her [emoji6] she won't even come when I call unless she wants something.

I just can't believe a cat can be trained to do anything.

I thought you were allowed to ask what the animal was trained for?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

We saw a street show in Reykjavik with a couple of really well-trained cats. But I can't imagine bringing one onboard a ship. I miss mine dearly when we travel, but I content myself with a bag of cat treats and the cats we encounter as we roam.

We saw a street show in Reykjavik with a couple of really well-trained cats. But I can't imagine bringing one onboard a ship. I miss mine dearly when we travel, but I content myself with a bag of cat treats and the cats we encounter as we roam.

You'll find lots of cats at Disneyland ...

http://www.latimes.com/local/orangecounty/la-me-adv-disney-cats-20150504-story.html

https://www.wimp.com/did-you-know-that-disneyland-is-home-to-over-200-stray-cats/

You’re not lazy. You’re smart.

And nothing in these forty pages is going to change those obnoxious, selfish, entitled, narcissists that try to pass their little froofroo pooches off as real service animals.

It’s BS and they know it.

Totally agree, BS. If you can survive without your pet, stay home.

You mentioned perfume as something that people with these sensitivities avoid. Honest question...do you feel that people that wear perfume/cologne should refrain from doing so in a setting such as a cruise ship, so as not to cause problems for those that are sensitive to these things? I'm somewhat conflicted over how this differs from those that bring their pets onboard, in terms of the respiratory sensitivity aspects of it.

I have asthma, I do not get into an elevator with people wearing cologne or perfume, or who have just finished a cigarette - they might set off my asthma. I moderate my activity, carry my medications, and drink lots of water. I don't expect strangers to change but friends are spoken to about my allergies before they come into my house, might be given a second chance if they still do something that triggers my asthma but I will probably meet them in public places. Family is a bit trickier.

I think pets are different because you may not realize the pet has left dander (or bodily fluids) have a reaction and not know why. Different allergens cause different reactions and I can deal with it faster, and the reaction will be less severe if I know what I am reacting to.

Some people are truly terrified of dogs, a well trained dog won't react to that fear, in my experience pets do react, make the fear worse and that makes the pets behaviour even worse.

I am surprised that RCCL's policy is different that NCL's "In accordance with the ADA, Norwegian Cruise Line does NOT accept “Emotional Support” dogs as service dogs, they CANNOT sail." I am glad I found this discussion, as I now know to read up on each lines policy before booking a cruise.

I’m too lazy to go back over the 40+ pages of this thread. Has anyone seen the skit of Chris Pratt trying to check in at an airport with his comfort raptor? I almost fell of the couch laughing!

My 2 cents regarding perfume:

I love to wear it, but my scent of choice is light.

When I was younger I’m sure I wore too much. I read in a magazine that just because you no longer smell your perfume doesn’t mean it’s gone. No need to reaply.

My mother has asthma so I know that even my light scent can affect others. I had a co-worker who had respiratory issues so I never wore perfume if I was going to be around her.

I like to think most people would do their best not to cause others discomfort. They are just unaware.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOL. Re-read your post, Jean.

Are the treats yummy? ;)