Dog on ship, continued

A business taking a stance in the UK, one of the larger chains JD Wetherspoons.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/08/jd-wetherspoon-to-ban-dogs-from-its-pubs/

Though I appreciate not everyone loves my border collie like me ! And I would respect a 'no dog's policy in a restaurant, there are several pubs, cafes in our area that allow her into the bar area and she sits quietly under our table whilst we eat

Read somewhere that Queen Mary 2 allowed pets, even having kennels. I wonder when one of the cruise lines will take the step to embracing pets, for a fee of course.
Bet the people who bring on Little Fluffy as an ESA would not pay the fee. One incentive to bringing Little Fluffy on a cruise is that they don't have to pay kennel. fees.

Read somewhere that Queen Mary 2 allowed pets, even having kennels. I wonder when one of the cruise lines will take the step to embracing pets, for a fee of course.
Pretty sure dogs have to stay in a designated area of the ship

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, on the Cunard ships, dogs spend the cruise in the kennel area.

I think that the pet owners can visit the dogs in this area,as the dogs are not allowed in cabins or in the public rooms.

Certainly there are accommodations made for service dogs who need to be with their persons to help them navigate through their daily routines.

Yes, on the Cunard ships, dogs spend the cruise in the kennel area.

I think that the pet owners can visit the dogs in this area,as the dogs are not allowed in cabins or in the public rooms.

Certainly there are accommodations made for service dogs who need to be with their persons to help them navigate through their daily routines.

Cunard's history of allowing pets to travel with their owners goes back a very long way. My Dad worked for Cunard and White/Cunard back in the days when all types of animals, not just dogs and cats, were allowed on board. Owners paid for the kenneling of their pets, there was a vet on board to tend to them, and the owners were free to visit with and play with their animals in the confines of the kennel area. Animals of any type were not allowed in other areas of the ship. Animals needed certification for up-to-date necessary vaccinations for the countries the ship would port in and had to be confined both before the ship left home port and upon its return for a minimum of 10 days. Of course, that was back in the days before the "revolving-door" cruising that is the standard for the industry now, so there was plenty of time (usually 14 days or more) between sailings for the boarding and quarantining of the animals, cargo loading, and maintenance to be done on the ship. Back then, passengers did not have someone painting a wall or varnishing a railing next to them while they were lounging on deck. I must admit visiting with all the animals in the kennel was always a blast when the ship was between sailings. Roller skating through the crews quarters below ship, visiting the galleys where the chefs would make my brother and I lunch and fantastic desserts, and, in general, exploring every part of the ship are some of the best memories of my childhood.

:)

Cunard's history of allowing pets to travel with their owners goes back a very long way. My Dad worked for Cunard and White/Cunard back in the days when all types of animals, not just dogs and cats, were allowed on board. Owners paid for the kenneling of their pets, there was a vet on board to tend to them, and the owners were free to visit with and play with their animals in the confines of the kennel area. Animals of any type were not allowed in other areas of the ship. Animals needed certification for up-to-date necessary vaccinations for the countries the ship would port in and had to be confined both before the ship left home port and upon its return for a minimum of 10 days. Of course, that was back in the days before the "revolving-door" cruising that is the standard for the industry now, so there was plenty of time (usually 14 days or more) between sailings for the boarding and quarantining of the animals, cargo loading, and maintenance to be done on the ship. Back then, passengers did not have someone painting a wall or varnishing a railing next to them while they were lounging on deck. I must admit visiting with all the animals in the kennel was always a blast when the ship was between sailings. Roller skating through the crews quarters below ship, visiting the galleys where the chefs would make my brother and I lunch and fantastic desserts, and, in general, exploring every part of the ship are some of the best memories of my childhood.

Very interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I must admit visiting with all the animals in the kennel was always a blast when the ship was between sailings. Roller skating through the crews quarters below ship, visiting the galleys where the chefs would make my brother and I lunch and fantastic desserts, and, in general, exploring every part of the ship are some of the best memories of my childhood.

That is a happy memory, and it even isn't mine.

Very interesting. Thank you for posting.

We loved that there were dog kennels on the Queen Mary 2.

Fwd, Port side on the main deck. They looked well cared for by a team of kennel staff.

Saying that, it didnt seem to diminish the amount of small dogs traveling on mobility scooters.

Maybe those small dogs do perform a service. They bark to warn people to get out of the way — scooter coming through, lol.

Just a Tradition with going back to the TA routes...Don't see any other line, Royal, Carnival or NCL ever following...

Just a Tradition with going back to the TA routes...Don't see any other line, Royal, Carnival or NCL ever following...
Yeah I can't imagine giving up cabin space to add the facilities. Still you never know. If one line decides there are enough people willing to bring their pets and pay for it, then maybe. Honestly, I think it would most likely be a luxury line or line targeting Mature Cruisers.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Just saw a picture of a schnauzer on Explorer of the seas walking with his leash fully extended with a woman pushing a dog stroller using her other hand. Hope he doesn’t nip anyone running on that track this week. Doesn’t look like a service dog to me. The picture was posted to a Royal Caribbean Facebook page (closed group). It was just posted. It’s happening now. (Better yet, I hope the runners watch where they are running - it could get messy or slippery)