Dog on ship, continued

1 hour ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

obviously a fake.  according to HIPPA, you cannot ask what condition the person has BUT it's perfectly acceptable to ask what the dog is trained to do.  This really angers me as it makes more problems those that really do need a service dog.  I love my dogs but would never take them on a cruise.  If they are eating hotdogs from the buffet, they are in no way a service dog. They will be working, not taking a vacy with the owner.  I thought RCCL was going to put an end to this?  I've never sail RCCL and don't think I will until this issue is resolved.  

It won't be

First off, I want to admit that because of a childhood lung disease, I am have many more environmental allergies than most, but I usually do my best to avoid or take steps to prevent placing myself in situations where triggers are likely to occur.  I travel and cruise frequently and modify my lifestyle accordingly. If you know of anyone with severe asthma, you know that this is a life-threatening disease. Each attach leaves you feeling like someone has smashed your chest with a sledge hammer and the negative effect on your heart is compounded by each attach as you get older. I am nearly 70, so I have been dealing with this since I turned 12.

When cruising with RC, one thing I always do is file a special needs request and they have always been very good at working with me so that I can cruise without incident. However, the growing problem of people bringing along pets or untrained dogs that they say are trained "comfort animals" has led me to unequivocally support Royal's position on only allowing true service dogs on board their ships. I sincerely hope Royal follows through with their stance.

In November, I spent a month aboard Adventure of the Seas and then, again, spent the month of February in the same JS.

In November, my cabin was fine: it had been deep cleaned before I used it (as requested through special needs) and my stateroom attendant adhered to using only vinegar and water to clean.

In February, upon entering the same stateroom, the smelled of wet dog was pervasive. I came to find out that, apparently, the deck supervisor was aware that the cabin had some odor issues in the past but she said it only seemed to occur early on in the previous sailings and then usually disappeared mid cruise. No other cabin was available and I was slated to be in this cabin for four consecutive sailings. 

For two days I avoided staying in my room during the day and left the balcony door open as instructed. On the evening of the second day I returned to my cabin after dinner and a show and their was a faint smell of urine in the cabin. I awoke after about an hour an a half having difficulty breathing, the urine smell had become much stronger and I wound up spending the night with a blanket on the balcony. Over the course of the next two 7-day sailings and the beginning of the third consecutive sailing, an ionizer was used, the cabin walls were washed, and all the furniture and rugs were steam cleaned twice and fan dried.  The cabin air filter had been cleaned twice and the ductwork vacuumed. I spent a lot of time in both the DL and the SL while this was being done.

By the beginning of the third week, the wet dog smell had disappeared and only faint urine odors would appear if the balcony door was left open allowing the humidity in the room to build.  My remaining week and a half was without further incident and I was left to recover from the barrage of asthma attacks and sinusitis.

RC gave me a 15% percentage of my cruise fare back in the form of an FCC for two of my sailings which was appreciated, but honestly, I would have much rather not had to spend two weeks dealing with constant sinus headaches along with my inhaler, guaifenesin, azelastine and Flonase as constant companions not to mention having to spend part of my cruise in Medical. 

It was very obvious that someone with a dog or possibly dogs had stayed in the room since I had left the end of November and that the dog/s had both defecated and urinated in the room as there were old brown stains in three places in the room, two of which were still crusty. I can only assume that whatever dog/s had been in there were not true service animals as I believe they are very well trained to do their business in the appropriate place.

I hope that if someone who customarily takes their pet along by claiming it is a trained service animal reads this, thinks twice about how their comfort or their unwillingness to kennel their animal should not take precedence over my ability to breather, to live, and to enjoy my cruise to the fullest extent possible, and decides to leave their animal at home.  

• Like 4

Like most any travel destination, there are abuses.

We've always said there are 2 places in the world where you should never see dogs or strollers....Las Vegas & Cruise Ships.

Legitimate service animals are the only exception. Unfortunately...like almost anything else...some people choose to make their own rules in contrast to the real ones.

We stand by that position, and our numerous experiences in both locations only reaffirm the significant abuses of each. The common denominator is imposing on other passengers/travelers. A good number of folks are of the believe that when going on a vacation, they really don't want to visit a child day care center or kennel.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2019 at 1:50 PM, oddly excitered said:

started reading because that old dude with the dog in the canvas cart thing was on anthem during our cruise last month, over a year after your original post.

Does he live on Anthem? The two of them were on our 12/10/18 cruise.

Tommy ( the senior Chihuahua)  and his owner were on  Feb 3rd also.  We have run into them many times on Explorer and Anthem.  Tommy is a service dog , so I have been told.      They are both pinnacle. 

9 minutes ago, pearlie said:

Tommy ( the senior Chihuahua)  and his owner were on  Feb 3rd also.  We have run into them many times on Explorer and Anthem.  Tommy is a service dog , so I have been told.      They are both pinnacle. 

That says it all

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gkbiiii said:

Remember there are dogs for diabetics as well, so you never know.

Seems like lots of people here think they know. Just like they think they know all about my health issues because one day I’m in a wheelchair another I’m not and pretty much any walking assistance in between.

There are also dogs like my Maxy who picks stuff up for me, he could easily go in a pram till I drop something (doubt he’d like that much) then pick my card or whatever up and back in his pram. He also has learnt to tell if I’m about to have a fall and warn me to sit down, he could do that floating 10 foot off the ground in a hot air balloon, but people on cruise Critic would say he wasn’t a service dog because of his balloon. 

Full disclosure I doubt I’ll ever take him on a cruise but never say never.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Seems like lots of people here think they know. Just like they think they know all about my health issues because one day I’m in a wheelchair another I’m not and pretty much any walking assistance in between.

There are also dogs like my Maxy who picks stuff up for me, he could easily go in a pram till I drop something (doubt he’d like that much) then pick my card or whatever up and back in his pram. He also has learnt to tell if I’m about to have a fall and warn me to sit down, he could do that floating 10 foot off the ground in a hot air balloon, but people on cruise Critic would say he wasn’t a service dog because of his balloon. 

Full disclosure I doubt I’ll ever take him on a cruise but never say never.

How can the dog help you if it is in a pram though?  One of the dogs we saw on our last Anthem cruise had its own wardrobe and was in a carriage(pram) with a blanket over it.  I have seen many pictures of it on a different site, wearing Halloween costumes, sitting in a bumper car on Anthem, sitting on a lounger in the Solarium, sitting in a padded dog bed in many restaurants, always in some kind of little dress.  No way this dog is a service dog, even though it has multiple service dog vests, different color for different outfits.

The Pinnacle dog on Anthem, we have seen on at least three different sailings.  He was on a behind the scenes tour in a canvas tote on one sailing, he was in a wheeled carrier another time.  Have seen his Pinnacle owner, rudely snap at people who have asked him questions about him.  Could be an emotional support dog, as the guy talks to it like a person, but not a true service dog.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

How can the dog help you if it is in a pram though?  One of the dogs we saw on our last Anthem cruise had its own wardrobe and was in a carriage(pram) with a blanket over it.  I have seen many pictures of it on a different site, wearing Halloween costumes, sitting in a bumper car on Anthem, sitting on a lounger in the Solarium, sitting in a padded dog bed in many restaurants, always in some kind of little dress.  No way this dog is a service dog, even though it has multiple service dog vests, different color for different outfits.

The Pinnacle dog on Anthem, we have seen on at least three different sailings.  He was on a behind the scenes tour in a canvas tote on one sailing, he was in a wheeled carrier another time.  Have seen his Pinnacle owner, rudely snap at people who have asked him questions about him.  Could be an emotional support dog, as the guy talks to it like a person, but not a true service dog.

He can warn me from anywhere that I’m about to fall.

he can hop out pick up whatever I’ve dropped and retrieve it,

if it’s a seizure or diabetes dog how does being in a pram stop him warning me.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 6:09 PM, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

obviously a fake.  according to HIPPA, you cannot ask what condition the person has BUT it's perfectly acceptable to ask what the dog is trained to do. 

HIPPA/ADA gives the cruise line etc the ability to ask.. However, not the general public or curious CC posters..

My son has a guide dog and constantly deal with people that do not respect that he has a guide dog in a lot of different ways. He had to escalate issues at Busch Gardens because they were trying to discriminate against him. Could list plenty of other examples..

He has a trained guide dog and I get frustrated as much as anyone on people that trample of someone with needs rights, because they "bought" their animal's way..

Sadly, people railing against this issue is making collateral damage to the people that do need their service animals.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2018 at 7:45 AM, TMFTL said:

"Service dog" on our last cruise. I understand that it was to alert owner to seizures. I guess during quest the owner didn't think she would have a seizure as the dog was no where to be seen.

Please be careful making assumptions. You don't know what the dog was for, and there really could be a legitimate reason why he was there without the dog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

He can warn me from anywhere that I’m about to fall.

he can hop out pick up whatever I’ve dropped and retrieve it,

if it’s a seizure or diabetes dog how does being in a pram stop him warning me.

Some of the dog prams have a screen that can be zipped shut, so the dog is not going to be able to get out and help with it zipped closed.

37 minutes ago, tutzig said:

HIPPA/ADA gives the cruise line etc the ability to ask.. However, not the general public or curious CC posters..

My son has a guide dog and constantly deal with people that do not respect that he has a guide dog in a lot of different ways. He had to escalate issues at Busch Gardens because they were trying to discriminate against him. Could list plenty of other examples..

He has a trained guide dog and I get frustrated as much as anyone on people that trample of someone with needs rights, because they "bought" their animal's way..

Sadly, people railing against this issue is making collateral damage to the people that do need their service animals.

You are correct and I absolutely understand the stress of having to deal with these situations.

As the general public, you may ask, but we absolutely have the right to tell you it's not your business. We're pretty open about sharing in most cases, and do to educate people on service dogs, but some individuals enjoy their privacy. If you continue to push it, it is discrimination and there are laws in place for not interfering with a working dog and their handler under the Ada (not HIPPA, which is only for medical workers and surrounding medical facilities)

Two questions can be asked by a business:

Is the animal a service animal

What service does the animal provide

This is absolutely abused by people without service dogs and some answers are not valid and you can be asked to leave for, I.e. Emotional support.

8 minutes ago, ExpertNovice said:

Dead on, and it's different for everyone. Certain skills our dog performs aren't needed all the time, but we don't have the luxury to know when those times will be.

There's not a good way to respond to this as it's so discriminating to those with disabilities. Live your life how you'd like, but we're all lucky you don't get a choice in the matter.

Yes, I’m luckier than many, I can survive without my Maxy dog by my side 24/7, but by heck he makes life easier when he is there, and even more he makes my life better by being there even when he is just being my mate. I look at my cruises as his holiday time, he stays with our daughter and runs wild with her Dalmatian with no responsibilities or cares or worries about me. Just like a human carer needs a break I see a real benefit to me mate in having a break from worrying about me.

• Like 5

Just now, GUT2407 said:

Yes, I’m luckier than many, I can survive without my Maxy dog by my side 24/7, but by heck he makes life easier when he is there, and even more he makes my life better by being there even when he is just being my mate. I look at my cruises as his holiday time, he stays with our daughter and runs wild with her Dalmatian with no responsibilities or cares or worries about me. Just like a human carer needs a break I see a real benefit to me mate in having a break from worrying about me. 

Absolutely, and you both deserve it! Like I hope many others understand, it's hard work for both the individual and their service animal. We discussed alternatives but this is the situation we're in and we'll make the most of it!

42 minutes ago, ExpertNovice said:

May be different in your country, but many businesses here are allowed to operate a "4-paws on the floor" rule in the US. This is pretty common and works for 99% of service animals, but there are always exceptions. Most reputable trainers will suggest a dog which has the ability to work while walking on their own, but self-trained service dogs are allowed and can be any dog. Service animals also include miniature pony's in some states for those with mobility issues that need a more weight baring animal.

We do have some different rules clearly, one major hardware chain hands out mats so you dog can ride in the trolley without the wire cutting into him. And yes most can work on their feet, but when they get old sometimes it’s a bit too much, Maxy often rides on my knee in my power chair, not because he is old, he’s only two, but because his favourite spot in the whole world is on my knee, he lives to please me, that’s what makes him such a great service dog. There are days I wish he was a giant not a miniature so he could do even more.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I guess fi took Max on a cruise I’d think about a pram, those decks get darn hot.

Just FYI, there is a great thread on the disability forum about cruising with service dogs. Also, an idea for you. My son's dog (who is also named Max 🙂) wears little boots if he needs to go somewhere that the ground will be hot. 

1 minute ago, momof3cruisers said:

Just FYI, there is a great thread on the disability forum about cruising with service dogs. Also, an idea for you. My son's dog (who is also named Max 🙂) wears little boots if he needs to go somewhere that the ground will be hot. 

Yeah I follow that thread a lot. I also know about boots, but Max much prefers my knee, and I prefer it too.

9 hours ago, ExpertNovice said:

We spoke with a representative for the cruise and while this rule is in place, it can be changed on the individual's condition or needs. We, for instance, have a note on our file about who will be our point of contact on board if we need to leave our dog in the room. As I mentioned, we have what I would consider an easier situation than many with service animals but the condition does require some time where we cannot have him with us.

The only rule to this that can't be changes (and shouldn't) are any times we leave the ship. You cannot leave the ship with the animal in the room, not that we ever would.

I always appreciate hearing "from the horse's mouth", if you don't mind the comparison.  😉

10 hours ago, ExpertNovice said:

We spoke with a representative for the cruise and while this rule is in place, it can be changed on the individual's condition or needs. We, for instance, have a note on our file about who will be our point of contact on board if we need to leave our dog in the room. As I mentioned, we have what I would consider an easier situation than many with service animals but the condition does require some time where we cannot have him with us.

The only rule to this that can't be changes (and shouldn't) are any times we leave the ship. You cannot leave the ship with the animal in the room, not that we ever would.

Just curious, but what do you do with the dog when you want to get off of the ship? I'm guessing that most if not all of the countries wouldn't allow a dog into their country unless certain conditions are met such as quarantine. That has to be a tough one.