Glacier Bay Excursions

kathyemma

You're very welcome? so, if the ship is scheduled to arrive at 9:15, I should aim to be outside at 8 to do some whale watching? is an hour early good?

I would get out there early. You never know what you will see. 8:00 AM sounds good.

Just enjoy the day.

Keith

I would get out there early. You never know what you will see. 8:00 AM sounds good.

Just enjoy the day.

Keith

Absolutely! :). Also I’m thinking not only to spot whales and other wildlife, but to get out there before all the crowds lol

Absolutely! :). Also I’m thinking not only to spot whales and other wildlife, but to get out there before all the crowds lol

Yes because a lot of people will be out there.

Early on try to scout the ship to find spots where people might not go to that turn out to be good spots to enjoy the scenery.

Keith

I just finished reading this thread, I watched park ranger video clip the above poster posted, about what to expect on the GB day at sea, I pretty much got teary eyed just thinking about it. I will be seeing Glacier Bay for the first time this summer. It will be my second time in Alaska! I will first be viewing Hubbard Glacier on August 5 from 3pm to 8pm. Then the next day, my Glacier Bay viewing time on my itinerary says from 9:15am to 7:30pm! Seriously? it's gonna be in the bay that long?? pretty spectacular. Knowing me I wont get enough of the spectacular scenery and will be out the whole entire time!!

So my questions are, if it says on the itinerary I'll be entering the Bay at 9:15am, how early should I be outside to spot whales? and does Glacier Bay pass Hoonah, icy strait point?

The ship enters the bay and picks up the park rangers at their home base around 9:30am. From there it's 65 miles up the bay to the glaciers. Plenty of spectacular scenery and wildlife to see on the way up and back. If you are headed to Juneau or Skagway after Glacier Bay you do go by Hoonah about 1 1/2 hours or so after leaving the bay. Unfortunately it's tucked in a cove so you can't see the town very well but you can pick up cell service off their tower if you have ATT.

Don't be modest Keith, takes a good photographer ...too..

Saw a few of your photos on another thread...enjoyed the additional here......

First time to Alaska July '98...rained and overcast....in fact helicopter glacier landing had to be called back early due to conditions, most excursions during our southbound cruise were cancelled....Did get to travel on a seaplane to see bears shaking salmon........but really what I am hoping on our return trip this May...is some blue sky in Glacier Bay...to have calm reflective water........one can wish......