Dining Package Upgrade

offtopic

So included in my cruise booked through a TA is a 3-night dining package, beverage package, and OBC. I looked on the NCL website and the packages for 4 or 5 night cruises are not too much more than the 3 night package.

Is there any way to upgrade the 3 night package to 4 or more nights and only pay the difference in price between the packages (plus the extra gratuity/service fee) once on board with OBC?

So included in my cruise booked through a TA is a 3-night dining package, beverage package, and OBC. I looked on the NCL website and the packages for 4 or 5 night cruises are not too much more than the 3 night package.

Is there any way to upgrade the 3 night package to 4 or more nights and only pay the difference in price between the packages (plus the extra gratuity/service fee) once on board with OBC?

I agree with previous poster, likely not allowed, however, they have recently added a dining package of 2... normally 3 package is the smallest, so you may be able to get the 2 SDP for around $70 (includes 20% grat. charge)

Hi there once you are on board you could purchase another 3 night package that way you can use your onboard credit.

Kim

Yes, you can’t extend the current package that you have by paying the difference, but there is nothing to stop you buying a second package for the number of extra nights you want. That is obviously more expensive than extending your promo one (I.e. the cost of a three meal plan is more expensive than the difference between a 3 and 6 meal plan).

It gets mentioned on here occasionally, so it is something that people do.

Another option is to pay ala carte for the last night. Depending the the ship, you can find out which restaurant that you want to visit is the cheapest. For example, I would use mine for Moderno or Teppanyaki since it is 25-30.00 pp. Or maybe pick off the ala carte menu at a place like Los Lobos.

I purchased an extra meal plan for just husband last cruise. We had a two week sailing and I think 4 speciality meal perk. Used the fixed price venues for our free meals and then for extra meals i ordered off menu a la carte, had husband use meal credits with the additional meal plan. This works well if you have one bigger eater and one who is happy with just an entree and appetizer. If both are not dessert people or big eaters then it might work out better just to order a la carte for the extra meals and not add an additional dining plan.

• 1 year later...

I think we are going to avoid all of this and book the cabin without free perks and buy specifically what we desire.  We aren't big drinkers so I think this might be the right option for us.  The free perks sound good until you start looking into it and it really doesn't fit what we want.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 3:32 AM, megansdad1 said:

Another option is to pay ala carte for the last night. Depending the the ship, you can find out which restaurant that you want to visit is the cheapest. For example, I would use mine for Moderno or Teppanyaki since it is 25-30.00 pp. Or maybe pick off the ala carte menu at a place like Los Lobos.

Both Moderno and Teppanyaki are $39+20% gratuity =$46.80 per person. 

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Both Moderno and Teppanyaki are $39+20% gratuity =$46.80 per person. 

Interesting to see that the price of Teppanyaki went up 29 to 39 from that post a year and a half ago.  It would be fascinating to see what the percentage break down of people that use specialty dinning outside of perks. 

8 hours ago, heidikay said:

I think we are going to avoid all of this and book the cabin without free perks and buy specifically what we desire.  We aren't big drinkers so I think this might be the right option for us.  The free perks sound good until you start looking into it and it really doesn't fit what we want.

You are absolutely right. The perks most certainly are not free. In fact if you just consider the UBP and SDP plus the extra cost of the room over the same room with no perks, it's over $700 for a couple. If you are not drinking much and are happy with the free food, keep that money in your pocket!

Rang NCL yesterday to see if we could upgrade our 5 day Dining package perk as we are on a 16 cruise, answer is no, you can just buy the additional packages at full price, i.e I wanted a 12 day package and would need to buy a separate 7 day package at full price not the difference between a 5 day and a 12 day package. Bit disappointed as you can upgrade the internet package which is along the same lines. 

3 hours ago, kenzie said:

Rang NCL yesterday to see if we could upgrade our 5 day Dining package perk as we are on a 16 cruise, answer is no, you can just buy the additional packages at full price, i.e I wanted a 12 day package and would need to buy a separate 7 day package at full price not the difference between a 5 day and a 12 day package. Bit disappointed as you can upgrade the internet package which is along the same lines. 

Yes. I think that this is what most of the posts on this thread have said. No upgrades. You can buy another package if you want. Doing it before your cruise ensures that your room key has the total number of nights printed on it. If you buy onboard, you will need to go through the hassle of having your room key re-printed. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. I think that this is what most of the posts on this thread have said. No upgrades. You can buy another package if you want. Doing it before your cruise ensures that your room key has the total number of nights printed on it. If you buy onboard, you will need to go through the hassle of having your room key re-printed. 

Thank you - I did read posts suggesting you could not do it however there were also claims of others doing so, i decided to try myself and now have no doubt you cannot do it, disappointing as they allow internet perk to be upgraded - I will however buy an additional package pre cruise 

I actually called NCL on this. The phone rep said she could not sell me any more specialty dining days but that I could buy more once on the ship.

I asked for details and she pulled it up - minimum of two days for $79 per person. I did not ask about the price for more than two days. That includes the gratuity. Not a great deal but a little savings anyway. So it's possible to extend the three day SDP into a five day SDP if you want to. You can buy three day or longer packages online but not the two day.

18 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

Interesting!  Where might I find the per person charges?  Interested in Cagneys, Ocean Blue and Le Bistro.

Those places don't charge per person, they charge a la carte. You can find their menus online and in CC. Try searching BirdTravels posts, they have lots of menus.

On 10/20/2019 at 8:03 PM, valleyvillage said:

Those places don't charge per person, they charge a la carte. You can find their menus online and in CC. Try searching BirdTravels posts, they have lots of menus.

Those dining restaurants are al la carte, however you can use a day from your dining package instead. The more days you buy the cheaper per day it becomes. 

Please note you can buy more dining packages, to increase your perk number but it is at the full price of the dining package, what I was hoping is that they would credit me for the price of the 5 day (around $154) against the charge for a 12 day (around $250) so that I was paying an additional $100- similar to the upgrade of internet where they credit you $125 towards the unlimited package, and you can also upgrade the alcohol package to premium too. I was told I could buy the additional days at around $178 so leaving me then with a 12 day package. 

On 10/22/2019 at 3:18 PM, C cruise said:

I really like the speciality restaurants, but I also think the free MDRs are nice too... I have a 3 dining package - booked those and then booked the dinner show .. and will use the MDR and/or the buffet the other nights... 

How much was the dinner show outright (without the dining package credit?)

3 minutes ago, Prnsessmoi said:

How much was the dinner show outright (without the dining package credit?)

IDK - I paid 24.99 each and I have the dining package however, I don't think it is considered one of my dining specialities