Booking directly through Celebrity or TA?

cheeseheads4ever

Big box store TA value to me:

3% reward using their branded credit card

2% reward for Executive Membership

7% reward paid to me after cruise (base fare portion only)

Adding this 12% above to:

$150 obc/pp is a $300 value

Classic drinks package for 2 people/10 day cruise equals ($30 pp/pd estimated cost) $600 value

That’s $900 in onboard value total.

Base fare is $1749 pp and then Celebrity is taking $100 off per person for $1649 pp fare.

So at $3300 (without taxes and port fees) I’m getting 12% back on that ($396).

Plus the $900 in onboard value. And Celebrity also gave us $200 in fare savings. That’s $1100 in Celebrity value.

I couldn’t pass up not booking with the big box folks. Plus the value in any future savings if available. It all made financial sense to us to book this Mar 2019 cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I try to remain loyal to my local travel agent since she bends over backwards to answer my one million and one questions. I can drop her an email about anything and can count on a response from her within 24 hours. When she quotes a deal she always follows up with me if she hasn’t heard back. That really means a lot to me. I am one to scout around for a great deal and give my local travel agent a chance to beat it. Sometimes she is able to and sometimes she is unable to. For my most recent booking her company was offering a group rate with two perks on a 2C upgraded to a 2B that was way less than my two online sources that I get email promos from. Then she got Celebrity to apply the $200 off Sail Beyond savings (icing on the cake) to the group rate. Her OBC is $175. She is a keeper and knows how to go to bat with Celebrity. I would rather have her hanging on the phone with them than me. On my 2017 cruise on another cruise line she was not able to beat the TX based online agency, but this year they are priced the same as Celebrity direct on my chosen sailing. I was really surprised my TX rep did not follow up with me after I told him I found group rates much lower than his quote. This after I booked an expensive cruise with him last year. I guess his agency isn’t too desperate for my business. Another new copy cat online agency that sends out lots of emails quoted me a great rate on a C2 upgraded to a C1 aft, but it was more than I wanted to spend as their will be lots of excursions to buy on this cruise. Had this been an itinerary with more sea days I would have seriously considered spending the several hundred dollars more for an aft stateroom. My local agent had no group pricing on concierge or aqua classes. This thread has shined a few new lights on additional avenues for finding deals. I always forget about the senior association. Thanks to all for providing their feedback.

I need your TA We have used big box TA because of previous OBC which now is "Store credit"

Right now the big box has a cruise lower than X... and I don't see any perks on the X rate.

Sailing in 10 days or so--and will see if there is anything to booking onboard...

How exactly is a booking on the ship "transferred" to the TA? Do we risk losing anything?

Call my TA and they told me I could get a 3% OBC....wow my brother called another who gave him a 5% OBC, then my sister called and her TA gave her a 10% discount. Called my TA again told him what my sister got, and they said you got the wrong package deal.

I replied NO, I got the wrong TA.

LbTMa2Cip-sSW4eZz1unU3NB5V9XiMTiD1B9aKuyrcvqY1XTxk62X7gftq4bBkPhsZJNTXGK71qtXx2CQr-Aj2bebOdF-TsIoaKa2JJf5i9LOGfltO4qsGhirB34vdzIbY2Uw1SESRlMAK5Er_AZDwS3eCI6jmv-pOq7cO0yICuBZAX7loxeBzooUN_nFiF3mNp4IocTkIg-hEAC9g6AbJP-SLxHXKmU1fVet0kGSSeawUn4HFxWygb5NLreDmNr7ESBoC62G1B1psJ9HBSziw9cOeuwzevieX0i4EbqgBRcbSn-PpltiWRPrzl961tWmRZR56_xzLeie0T4FbQQHrlP7aLQuFdllyj2TK98gsF7DtZ0w6SEYvTLHA6ucdJoYoN8OUHmPtkCxbwzLr9RxuSmdzW7ztm9xE3hwWHHrBZ5Su6toIjA3Ak5qLZt4Sz2g0Xcl3Km60_vWlmk4VdWU2Zyw8UEGbAwDlfTwhPGA0uHLRZ53XaX9qv47XulSaiUBh4yWkVGWwT_CCXR9Gxtwpqd-7Y34xT_BaOurVMvtoSWnns4m_HDHckxPYssfha7x-slQgPi4J6mY0OULZDX4FvV-KLY_fcMaGBrEB0=w605-h582-no

Has anyone booked through a TA in the UK and got extra perks?

I’ve had a better deal dealing direct with Celebrity than I could find elsewhere and the only extra perk I found was free parking but that was away from the port and not worth the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Call my TA and they told me I could get a 3% OBC....wow my brother called another who gave him a 5% OBC, then my sister called and her TA gave her a 10% discount. Called my TA again told him what my sister got, and they said you got the wrong package deal.

I replied NO, I got the wrong TA.

LbTMa2Cip-sSW4eZz1unU3NB5V9XiMTiD1B9aKuyrcvqY1XTxk62X7gftq4bBkPhsZJNTXGK71qtXx2CQr-Aj2bebOdF-TsIoaKa2JJf5i9LOGfltO4qsGhirB34vdzIbY2Uw1SESRlMAK5Er_AZDwS3eCI6jmv-pOq7cO0yICuBZAX7loxeBzooUN_nFiF3mNp4IocTkIg-hEAC9g6AbJP-SLxHXKmU1fVet0kGSSeawUn4HFxWygb5NLreDmNr7ESBoC62G1B1psJ9HBSziw9cOeuwzevieX0i4EbqgBRcbSn-PpltiWRPrzl961tWmRZR56_xzLeie0T4FbQQHrlP7aLQuFdllyj2TK98gsF7DtZ0w6SEYvTLHA6ucdJoYoN8OUHmPtkCxbwzLr9RxuSmdzW7ztm9xE3hwWHHrBZ5Su6toIjA3Ak5qLZt4Sz2g0Xcl3Km60_vWlmk4VdWU2Zyw8UEGbAwDlfTwhPGA0uHLRZ53XaX9qv47XulSaiUBh4yWkVGWwT_CCXR9Gxtwpqd-7Y34xT_BaOurVMvtoSWnns4m_HDHckxPYssfha7x-slQgPi4J6mY0OULZDX4FvV-KLY_fcMaGBrEB0=w605-h582-no

ROFLMAO! That is the reason we always suggest that folks shop around for the best deal. We have never understood why consumers feel some kind of loyalty to a business (cruise or travel agency). Our favorite cruise agent (who works for our favorite high volume discount agency) recently ask us for all of our business (we book 70 - 100 days a year). I told her she would always have our business as long as she could offer the best deal :).

Hank

I need your TA We have used big box TA because of previous OBC which now is "Store credit"

Right now the big box has a cruise lower than X... and I don't see any perks on the X rate.

Sailing in 10 days or so--and will see if there is anything to booking onboard...

How exactly is a booking on the ship "transferred" to the TA? Do we risk losing anything?

When you are booking on-board you must tell them that you wish to have Celebrity keep the reservation until you have a chance to determine which TA you wish to have it transferred to after your disembarkment. Note: their default is to give the reservation to the TA that had the reservation for the cruise that you are currently on; thus you may have to sign a piece of paper saying that you do not want the reservation to go to your then current TA.

You then have 60 days from the booking date to shop around for a TA with a great deal. After selecting the TA with the best deal, you will then have to contact Celebrity to get the reservation transfered to the TA - if I remember correctly, there is a form to fill out. So since this takes some time, you should be sure to select the TA at least a week before your 60 days runs out - so as to not get too stressed out!

When you are booking on-board you must tell them that you wish to have Celebrity keep the reservation until you have a chance to determine which TA you wish to have it transferred to after your disembarkment. Note: their default is to give the reservation to the TA that had the reservation for the cruise that you are currently on; thus you may have to sign a piece of paper saying that you do not want the reservation to go to your then current TA.

You then have 60 days from the booking date to shop around for a TA with a great deal. After selecting the TA with the best deal, you will then have to contact Celebrity to get the reservation transfered to the TA - if I remember correctly, there is a form to fill out. So since this takes some time, you should be sure to select the TA at least a week before your 60 days runs out - so as to not get too stressed out!

We'll be booking on-board for the first time next month - hoping to chat with folks experienced in the TA arena about how to find a good one. Then we'll probably transfer that Iberian cruise we'll be booking. :)

Yes im looking for a good one too. But not sure how to communicate without breaking cc rules.

Thanks for all the great input..

Exactly - on a couple of occasions I thought I'd figured out one of the Big Box references but I was wrong. The old "Rules are made to be broken" really doesn't work here - it's too much fun. :)

Exactly - on a couple of occasions I thought I'd figured out one of the Big Box references but I was wrong. The old "Rules are made to be broken" really doesn't work here - it's too much fun. :)

So far it appears that Cruisecritic is allowing us to say the type of TA in terms such as brick and mortar, online and big box wholesale store.

If I am incorrect CC please delete this.

Yes im looking for a good one too. But not sure how to communicate without breaking cc rules.

Thanks for all the great input..

Try talking to some of your fellow cruise critic members of your Roll Call at your connections party. Then compare and do your homework when you get home.

Shop around. TA 's that deal in quantity are able to get group pricing and hand out obc values that smaller agents generally can't. We actually use one TA for all our X cruises and have another for Princess. Each books groups, and we are offered pricing no one else can come close to.

Just three weeks ago on Eclipse, we booked our Jan. 2019 cruise to S. America. I got X's quote with perks and then emailed our TA for his rate before booking.

TA gave us $1,100 off EACH. (2,200 total;p) on our basic verandah room. Not suite. And included the perks offered by X. What happens is we book on board with all their paperwork. They transfer to our agent. He sends me his paperwork with the much better pricing. Easy peasy. Just have to find an agent. Talk to other cruisers. Our agents have saved family and friends a ton.

Hlitner- ( Hank)

You are sure a seasoned cruiser and would like to send you a email to ask a few additional questions. TA’s are like car salesman some you like and do a great job for you others are not so good.

I know of the few big box TA’s. But not sure they are the ones you deal with and have had success.

My DW is leary of not booking through the cruise line direct. I just need to do it once successfully to put her and myself at ease.

Whenever we see this topic on CC our response is always the same. Having booked more than 100 cruises (6 continents) we can always save 7-10% (when considering OBCs and other amentities) by shopping around for a good deal among our favorite high volume cruise agencies. Every time I see comments about "control" it just makes me smile. We travel about 7 months a year, always handle our own arrangements, and feel like we have control. Dealing directly with a cruise line gives us no more control then by using a decent cruise agency. In fact, if there is a problem it only takes a short e-mail or quick phone call (no being put on hold) to our Cruise Agent...and then they can deal with the cruise line. Since we use high volume agencies they have a lot more clout with cruise lines then we do :).

In that past we have sometimes booked a future cruise while aboard...but quickly had it transferred to one of our favored cruise agencies...once we shop around and determine which agency will give us the most "enhancements" beyond what we are getting from the cruise line. Again...we expect OBCs (or similar) of 7-10% of the cruise price (not counting taxes and fees). Sometimes our savings exceed 10%.....but the norm would be slightly less.

When folks post that they cannot get these deals from "their travel/cruise agent" our response is that they should do some more shopping around :). Because they are obviously using the wrong agents/agencies. I do not personally use the Big Box stores....but even they will always beat the deals offered by booking direct.

Hank

There are two problems.

First, people restrict their search for a good TA to local TA. There are five or so in my area. None discount. I use two TA who are located several states away. I found them through other cruise passengers.

The second problem is using google to find a TA. TA cannot advertise discounts, etc. You probably won't find deals that beat the cruise line by using google. You have to call the TA and ask for a discount. If they say No, then say Goodbye.

Hlitner- ( Hank)

You are sure a seasoned cruiser and would like to send you a email to ask a few additional questions. TA’s are like car salesman some you like and do a great job for you others are not so good.

I know of the few big box TA’s. But not sure they are the ones you deal with and have had success.

My DW is leary of not booking through the cruise line direct. I just need to do it once successfully to put her and myself at ease.

When your DW is enjoying additional OBC, and perks on a cruise with a lower price in the same cabin, ship and itinerary as you would have booked directly with X she will learn to forgive you. ;p

There are two problems.

First, people restrict their search for a good TA to local TA. There are five or so in my area. None discount. I use two TA who are located several states away. I found them through other cruise passengers.

The second problem is using google to find a TA. TA cannot advertise discounts, etc. You probably won't find deals that beat the cruise line by using google. You have to call the TA and ask for a discount. If they say No, then say Goodbye.

Valid points. But if folks decide to stick to local TAs that is a limitation of their own making. I am always careful to suggest "shopping around among reputable high volume cruise agencies." Unless you happen to live in a few specific areas of the country it is not likely that any high volume agency is going to be in your area. As to your #2 issue we addressed that by suggesting that folks register their e-mail (or you can get yourself another free e-mail address for just this purpose) with multiple reputable high volume agencies. One could easily register with a dozen agencies in about an hour. This will usually get you access to their lowest (unadvertised) rates/deals. The only negative is that you will get flooded with e-mails (sometimes daily) with many offers and deals....and you need to take the time to sort through all the possibilities. For me its all fun (and somewhat of a hobby) with some amazing rewards. Two of our 3 favorite cruise agencies are located in Florida and the third is in New England.....but we live in PA. And we also monitor price deals from another major agency in the Northwest. For a couple of years we used an "outside agent" from a large agency....but that proved to be a hassle since depending too much on one agent can be a huge negative since that agent can be away on vacations, on days off , etc. All of our high volume agencies maintain customer service desks (usually staffed long hours 7 days a week) that can immediately respond to any questions or issues. If I see a price drop today, I want the agency to check it out today....not 2 days from now.

By the way, speaking of high volume cruise agencies, I wonder how many folks realize that some of these agencies will do more cruise bookings in a single day...then most agencies do in an entire year. It is that volume that puts them in a position to offer some interesting deals...and it also gives them a lot of clout with the cruise lines (who depend on cruise/travel agent bookings for about 80% of their business. When an individual cruise deals with a large cruise line you are simply one customer (usually dealing with a clerk who works in a small cubicle). But if there is a problem, a high volume agency that sends hundreds or thousands of bookings to a cruise line has a higher likelihood of getting the attention of a supervisor (or higher). And these agencies often have some excellent personal contacts at multiple cruise lines...who can rectify a problem within minutes....whereas a single cruiser (customer) might spend 10 times that amount of time on hold...trying to get to anyone in authority.

I do agree that there are times when you might want to call one of these agencies, and if they do not give you the deal you want you simply say, thank you for your time...and hang up. Sometimes I equate booking cruises to buying a used car :(. This becomes even more true when you book long more expensive cruises.

But over the years we have developed a terrific relationship with a 3 large high volume agencies. They are aware that we shop around so they know we will only book if they have the best deal. But they also know we will not jerk them around, later change our mind, or constantly bug them with phone calls asking silly questions (this takes their time...and time costs them money). We will sometimes book a $20,000+ cruise in a few seconds (often on line). On the other hand, if we notice any kind of price drop or promotions we will expect our cruise agent to jump on these changes (when we ask) without whining or asking for any kind of change fees. One of my favorite cruise agents of all time (now retired) used to tell me of clients that would keep her on the phone for an hour or more (with lots of questions) and seldom book. She hated these kinds of clients, but also admitted it goes with the job.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Ok, so, I am one of those people who gets kind of obsessed with checking rates etc. I booked our October cruise in December, and have since watched it go up. That being said, after reading these posts, I googled competitive travel websites and have sent in for a quote to transfer my reservation, and it looks like I may end up with $350-$400 onboard credit. Not sure yet, but so glad I stumbled upon this post!

Something new to learn every day!

We booked a cruise on board and got a $600 on board credit. Transferred it to a TA and got an additional $800 on board credit. So yes, that is worth it to me.

I have also booked thru a big box store and found their websites easy to use. I am disappointed that they started giving a store cash card instead of onboard credit, so haven’t booked anymore with them.

I have also booked thru a big box store and found their websites easy to use. I am disappointed that they started giving a store cash card instead of onboard credit, so haven’t booked anymore with them.

That's an interesting comment. Personally, I see no drawback to the cash card as we buy there regularly anyway. If I want OBC, I can simply purchase it with the money that I won't have to spend at the store. On the other hand, if you aren't a regular customer, it would certainly be less attractive, so I understand your point of view.

I should add that I also find them to be quite generous with the value of the cash card, probably because they know that the money will come back to them. They can offer a higher amount yet it costs them less, so it's a win-win situation.

That's an interesting comment. Personally, I see no drawback to the cash card as we buy there regularly anyway. If I want OBC, I can simply purchase it with the money that I won't have to spend at the store. On the other hand, if you aren't a regular customer, it would certainly be less attractive, so I understand your point of view.

I should add that I also find them to be quite generous with the value of the cash card, probably because they know that the money will come back to them. They can offer a higher amount yet it costs them less, so it's a win-win situation.

I get that I’m not really losing anything my getting a store cash card. It’s just a personal preference for onboard credit. If I don’t use it all, it is refundable. The TA we have been using normally gives 8 to 10% in onboard credit.

I get that I’m not really losing anything my getting a store cash card. It’s just a personal preference for onboard credit. If I don’t use it all, it is refundable. The TA we have been using normally gives 8 to 10% in onboard credit.

Well, you certainly can't complain about that! :D

I agree, yet we have not found that much OBC from other sources, but happy with what we do get and as said, refundable, although we do wind up paying more! LOL

bon voyage

I agree, yet we have not found that much OBC from other sources, but happy with what we do get and as said, refundable, although we do wind up paying more! LOL

bon voyage

I'm just happy to getaway from work and do nothing. Float around, eat,drink, meet folks. But the more I cruise and the more I read about OBC the more I think, well....So I'm looking into it and hoping to chat with more experienced cruisers in March. The hardest thing, I think, is deciding on a TA or a genre of TAs. You're one of the solid people here so I'm sure you understand where my problem lies.

I'm just happy to getaway from work and do nothing. Float around, eat,drink, meet folks. But the more I cruise and the more I read about OBC the more I think, well....So I'm looking into it and hoping to chat with more experienced cruisers in March. The hardest thing, I think, is deciding on a TA or a genre of TAs. You're one of the solid people here so I'm sure you understand where my problem lies.

c - thank you for your most kind words, much appreciated for sure!

Yes, we too are very happy and grateful for the opportunity to get away and have time sailing, no matter how we choose to spend it aboard... or on land.

I bounce us around from TA to TA to TA based on 'promises' of service, then OBC. I get disappointed with the service so the OBC does not matter much at the time. Now, were we to be getting 7%+ in OBC, heck I will accept bad service to a degree. This is not to say that in a few years we will not be concerned with getting the best deal for our bucks, now we concentrate on the best vacation on our chosen line...

I will start to ask my fellow passengers aboard about whom they book through and figure out if the same source is good for us.

Enjoy your sailing and bon voyage...