Oasis class ships - worth the splurge?

Skippy

So we started pricing out a cruise for summer break and we’ve been wanting to go on the Oasis class ships. Right now, it’s looking like it will be at least 1-2k more than we paid on the liberty of the seas last summer. Are these big ships worth the extra cost? Is there more to do, better entertainment, more value?

It will be me and dh plus our 9 and 7 yo.

My first response would be "yes". But thinking about this, I think it might depend on which Oasis class ship you are considering cruising on.

The Allure and Oasis don't have the slides like the Liberty does. Not sure a 7 and 9 y.o. are all that interested in the shows necessarily. The Aqua Theater show might be the exception, but not necessarily the musicals or headliner show. An ice show is an ice show for us. Yes, different storyline, but similar moves in all of the ones we've seen. The aerial show in the theater is entertaining, but we've seen some similar ones done on Royal's ships that only have a Centrum. Those were amazing also.

Usually, the Oasis class ships will offer a family comedy show which would probably be what your family would attend rather than the adult one held in the comedy club. No one under 18 is allowed there.

The Liberty has flowriders and rock climbing walls just like the Oasis class ship.

The one big difference is the itineraries between the Liberty and the Oasis class ships. If your family would want to see other places of the Caribbean, then it could possibly be worth it to you. If the 7 and 9 y.o. had a great time on the Liberty last summer, they probably will have a great time again.

There isn't really too much difference on the Freedom class from the Oasis class. Yes, the "neighborhoods" on the Oasis class are a very neat concept, but not sure $1 - 2 K neat.

We are very pro the Oasis class ships, but we don't have young children. Also the size of the Oasis class can be overwhelming for some. Something to consider when keeping up with children.

Seeing you are from Texas, as we are, if you do decide to go on an Oasis class ship, would recommend going a day early if you fly which means a hotel stay the night before boarding. Only had one bad weather experience that almost made us miss a cruise. Glad we were a day ahead.

One other hint regarding the Oasis class ships. You will need to make show reservations prior to boarding. You can take your chances of showing up to a show and getting in, but sometimes hard to find four seats together. You'll also want to go early to each show for best seats.

Hope this is helpful. Not wanting to discourage you from trying the Oasis class. I lean more toward the practical, so that's the point of view I took here.

Enjoy whatever cruise you decide to take!

Edited by denamo

This year I’m doing the Symphony bc it’s a new ship sailing from a new terminal and also sailing from my hometown ( the perfect storm lol). Compared to other ships sailing from the same port and month I’m paying ~ 45% more. The idea of switching ships had crossed my mind more than once but if it weren’t because of the perfect storm I know we were going to be really happy sailing in another class ship, but I always tell everyone that you need to experience the oasis class ship at least once.

If you guys really want to try oasis go for it,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So we started pricing out a cruise for summer break and we’ve been wanting to go on the Oasis class ships. Right now, it’s looking like it will be at least 1-2k more than we paid on the liberty of the seas last summer. Are these big ships worth the extra cost? Is there more to do, better entertainment, more value?

With your kids, Harmony yes, the other 2 it depends on what your children like.

We took our 14yo on Harmony last summer and she loved it. She went on oasis in2016 and she had fun but she is older and makes friends quickly.

Yes but check the prices...you might find that 2 rooms of 2 vs 1 room of 4 is less expensive or similar in costs.

Example: Our Xmas Oasis cruise was $8K for 1 room and $6500 for 2; our Aug Harmony was $7K for 1 room and $5500 for 2.

Now this does not happen all the time but it doesn't hurt...

I say give it a try and decide for yourself. Remember also that cruises on Liberty tend to be less expensive than similar cruises out of Florida.

Gosh, it's a tough choice. If a Radiance class ship and an Oasis class ship were all visiting the same ports, and the radiance class ship was a $1000 less, I would choose it over the Oasis class ship. I just recently switched from Jewel to Oasis for a European cruise and I'm paying about $500 more for it. The ports were the most important to me so I was willing to pay more for that.

I have also been on Oasis too so trying it for the first time was worth paying more. I chose Anthem over Grandeur for NE/Canada because I had never been on Anthem and that was about $700-$800 higher too. IF I were to do the same cruise now, I would choose Grandeur to save that extra money because I have already experienced Anthem.

Oasis is a great ship, in fact, we liked the ship so much last year that we are going on our second cruise on Sunday.:D However, I would not spend 1-2k more just to cruise on Oasis. Your kids will have just as much fun on a cheaper ship!

Sherri:)

My first response would be "yes". But thinking about this, I think it might depend on which Oasis class ship you are considering cruising on.

The Allure and Oasis don't have the slides like the Liberty does. Not sure a 7 and 9 y.o. are all that interested in the shows necessarily. The Aqua Theater show might be the exception, but not necessarily the musicals or headliner show. An ice show is an ice show for us. Yes, different storyline, but similar moves in all of the ones we've seen. The aerial show in the theater is entertaining, but we've seen some similar ones done on Royal's ships that only have a Centrum. Those were amazing also.

Usually, the Oasis class ships will offer a family comedy show which would probably be what your family would attend rather than the adult one held in the comedy club. No one under 18 is allowed there.

The Liberty has flowriders and rock climbing walls just like the Oasis class ship.

The one big difference is the itineraries between the Liberty and the Oasis class ships. If your family would want to see other places of the Caribbean, then it could possibly be worth it to you. If the 7 and 9 y.o. had a great time on the Liberty last summer, they probably will have a great time again.

There isn't really too much difference on the Freedom class from the Oasis class. Yes, the "neighborhoods" on the Oasis class are a very neat concept, but not sure $1 - 2 K neat.

We are very pro the Oasis class ships, but we don't have young children. Also the size of the Oasis class can be overwhelming for some. Something to consider when keeping up with children.

Seeing you are from Texas, as we are, if you do decide to go on an Oasis class ship, would recommend going a day early if you fly which means a hotel stay the night before boarding. Only had one bad weather experience that almost made us miss a cruise. Glad we were a day ahead.

One other hint regarding the Oasis class ships. You will need to make show reservations prior to boarding. You can take your chances of showing up to a show and getting in, but sometimes hard to find four seats together. You'll also want to go early to each show for best seats.

Hope this is helpful. Not wanting to discourage you from trying the Oasis class. I lean more toward the practical, so that's the point of view I took here.

Enjoy whatever cruise you decide to take!

I have to agree. We just got back from the oasis. We sailed with an infant and a 7 & 8 yr old. The older kids were not into the shows at all. They weren't too keen on going to the pool deck either because there were no slides. One of the things they love about cruising is the kids club but on this cruise, they didn't want to go. They tried a couple of times but they didn't stay. They said mainly because they had to participate in the activities even though they didn't like what the group was doing. On Ncl and Disney, if you didn't like the activities you have the option of freeplay. Also, for a ship that size the kids club was tiny. The kids were packed in there like sardines.

This was our first Rci cruise and next time we'll probably do the freedom class. I don't think it's worth 1-2 K more. Just my 2 cents since I have kids similar to your kids ages.:):D:):)

I have to agree. We just got back from the oasis. We sailed with an infant and a 7 & 8 yr old. The older kids were not into the shows at all. They weren't too keen on going to the pool deck either because there were no slides. One of the things they love about cruising is the kids club but on this cruise, they didn't want to go. They tried a couple of times but they didn't stay. They said mainly because they had to participate in the activities even though they didn't like what the group was doing. On Ncl and Disney, if you didn't like the activities you have the option of freeplay. Also, for a ship that size the kids club was tiny. The kids were packed in there like sardines.

This was our first Rci cruise and next time we'll probably do the freedom class. I don't think it's worth 1-2 K more. Just my 2 cents since I have kids similar to your kids ages.:):D:):)

I appreciate the feedback. My kids weren’t really fond of the kids club on liberty either. According to my 9yo, he didn’t care for the organized activities either. They both told me the kids club on carnival was more fun. We did that in 2016 when they were nearly 8 and 5.

They did like the ice skating show and up in the air show.

I found some other threads and there seems to be a consensus that Harmony is better with kids.

We watched the prices on the Oasis class ships for several years. We can drive to the Florida ports. We have 3 sons. They are now 15, 17, 20. First cruises for them were in 2011 when they were 8, 11, and 13. We sailed on the Freedom. We (the parents had been on 8 cruises prior) and they have now been on 6 sailings -- 2 more on the FOS, 1 on the Navigator, 1 on the Brilliance, 1 on the Adventure, and our and their first on the Oasis out of Canaveral this past December. We used to see the prices for the Oasis class ships were $300 to $450 dollars more per person, sometimes more. Once the Oasis moved up the coast, the pricing dropped a bunch.

We all LOVED our experience on the Oasis. Our boys make friends easily and hang out with kids on the ship during the day. They really did not do "Kid's Club" per say. At night, they do/did somethings in the kid's areas. Of course, the oldest had aged out and the middle one had his last experience with doing the "Kid's Club" stuff this past December. The thing that we all loved about the Oasis was how the size of the ship just spread out the passengers so much. We never felt crowded. Our kid's have not been fans of the shows for some time. They like hanging with their friends after we all have dinner together at night. They did love the water show on the Oasis. The oldest son did attend some of the shows with his parents.

The Harmony is newer and still more pricey so we have booked the Oasis again for next December. We do so enjoy the shorter drive to Canaveral instead heading down to Everglades or Miami. We have all pretty much moved past the ports as draws. We all did enjoy going on the Adventure out of San Juan last summer.......contradicting myself, the ports Curacao and Aruba being the main drawers.

We are going on the Brilliance again on spring break out of Tampa with 2 of our sons (college spring break timing precludes older one going with us) and the 1st time we sailed on it we all thought that we would hate it because of its size. We all enjoyed it. Now we are not sure how much we will miss about the Oasis, we will see. The middle son will turn 18 before we cruise so it will be interesting to see who he makes friends with on this trip. Your family has a good ways to go before this happens but it is strange how it slips up on you. The time seems to fly.

If you can find a way to sail on the Oasis (I know there are no water slides) for a reasonable cost out of Canaveral vs. the Liberty, I would recommend it highly. We loved everything about that ship except for the fact that their Broadway show was Cats.......seen it in the past and did not care for it. Now when is someone going to put on "Wicked". That is a show that I can watch again, and again. Good luck with your choice.

Edited by baileybrad

My answer ......NO, not worth it.

Another minority no vote. We finally tried Oasis class last year (Allure). Didn't impress us. Glad there are people who love them but we aren't there. Over priced, limited ports. We didn't fall in love with all the bells and whistles. We'll gladly spend less to cruise other ships to more ports:)

As far as shows and entertainment, don't forget about the aqua theater shows on Oasis class ships. My grandkids loved them. True the ice shows are similar on all ships, but still think Oasis class shows and activities are so very different from other ships. Carousel, zip line, etc. are all special to Oasis.

Central Park is nice, serene and pleasant to use as a walk-through option getting from one end the ship to the other.

Boardwalk has a nice, open air/outdoor feel. The diving shows are really nice. More specialty restaurant options I think.

I’ve not done a cruise to date with water slides; did Liberty before it had slides out of Florida years ago.

For 4 people to have a good time trying it, I think it’s worth a grand. 2 Grand? That’d push it for me. Your mileage may vary.

Richard.

If your kids are active and will like the flowrider keep in mind oasis has two and that makes a huge difference. Lines for it on liberty when I’ve been on it several times were crazy long and they have to split up time between stand up and boogie boarding (laying down). Many kids love the flowrider and would do it all day if allowed. On oasis one flowrider is always boggie board and one always stand up surfing so it alleviates a good bit of crowding and down time for either preference. I’m not a kid and love flowriding and trust me your kids will much prefer oasis if they are inclined to like flowriding.

Basically other than the slides oasis would be much better for kids IMO. But then again when I was a kid a cheap motel with a pool seemed awesome to me and my brothers so I’m sure your kids will love either ship. Trust either ship is pretty awesome for adults or kids. It wasn’t too long ago Liberty was the newest and largest cruise ship in the world. Based on that logic maybe pick what you think you will like. :D

If you can sail on 8/19 I see OV's at $681 pp + $150 OBC and Balconies starting at $ 726 pp + 250 OBC.

That date is iffy. Our district is still trying to figure out the calendar. We’re either starting the 16th or 27th.

The oasis class ships are truly amazing. I’ve done the Allure before and it’s HUGE. However, I think that’s it’s biggest weakness. It felt too spread out and I remember thinking that the Freedom wasn’t much more fun and that if you like the “community” style events (pool deck contests, etc) they were easier to find without looking for them if that makes sense.

We drove to Orlando from Houston last summer to sail Oasis. We got a deal that was actually less than Liberty for that week, and came with better perks from our TA. And we just wanted to sail Oasis class to see what all the fuss was about! We enjoyed it, but wouldn’t go to all the effort to sail Oasis again. If they moved one to Galveston though, I’d certainly be all about it (I believe that rumor is still doing the rounds). Some people are ‘Oasis only’ after sailing, but it didn’t have that effect on us.