It reeks deck 13...

KyleClark

Back onboard the Seaside for two hours and that sewer line / service water smell is strong. First time all week I noticed it. Opening the balcony door helps for awhile.

Oh no, I was afraid of this :(. I'm so sorry your experiencing the strong sewer smell, and a HUGE thank you for sharing information with us. It's never pleasant reporting less than stellar news on a forum, but know that your candor is appreciated by many.

Could this smell be caused by Diesel which is burned by the engines? I could smell this too on Seaside during my back to back cruises and it seemed to originate outside close to the aqua park. The engine stacks were close by. I heard that Venezuelan fuel is purchased from some of the ports that MSC visits because it is cheaper. Not sure if this is true.

Sounds like someone around you flushed something they shouldn't have and messed up the system.

Another hint that has been posted by our CC ship's engineer is to pour water down the trap that is in the floor (not the shower drain). If the trap has dried out, sewer gases will come up.

Could this smell be caused by Diesel which is burned by the engines? I could smell this too on Seaside during my back to back cruises and it seemed to originate outside close to the aqua park. The engine stacks were close by. I heard that Venezuelan fuel is purchased from some of the ports that MSC visits because it is cheaper. Not sure if this is true.

It could be, but MSc has admitted to a faulty design in the building of seaside that has resulted In septic fumes being sucked back inside the ship and dispersed through the air conditioning system. There is a thread here where cheng explained a lot of the mechanics behind the issue.

The fix for the problem was some type of air diverted which MSc stated they installed last week. Right now, many of us are waiting for first hand reports to determine if the design flaw was an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note: BB2014 has never stepped on Seaside!

Lots of negative posts, yet zero experience on this ship.

I smell something.

Not a MSC fan, but also not a hater either...please enjoy crusing on whatever line you do enjoy!

Haha, I got tired of BB2014’s negativity so he’s blocked, never see his posts anymore...

I’m fully disclosed as not having set foot on seaside but I do have experience with mSC both in and out of YC. I don’t think it’s accurate to consider me entirely negative either, as I don’t believe you have ever stepped foot on any MSc ship.

I do try to paint both sides of the MSc story so that those choosing can make the most informed decision possible. I encourage everyone to read all reviews and come to their own conclusions.

What I do say (and stand behind) is that those who choose MSc should realize that you don’t get Champaign on a beer budget. But admittedly, sometimes I like beer. That doesn’t make me negative, it makes me a realist.

Regarding the sewage smell, this is well documented for anyone to read. MSc even came out and admitted the design problem!

For those considering sailing on seaside I recommend you take into account all of the reviews of sewage smell and keep an open mind until the data starts coming in. MSc stated they implemented the fix for the design flaw last week so we should start to get a good idea soon.

I’m not a MSc fan but not a hater. There are plenty of times where MSc value simply can’t be beaten and depending on what you seek in a vacation MSc can be a great choice. But to think MSc does not cut cost to reflect price paid goes against the grain of all logic.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Haha, I got tired of BB2014’s negativity so he’s blocked, never see his posts anymore...

You do know that there is a program to tell who has you really blocked and who has you “fake” blocked right? But please, carry on- I think anyone sensitive to criticism should block me. I’m sure I aggravate many people, but my hope is that I help more than I aggravate:)

It could be, but MSc has admitted to a faulty design in the building of seaside that has resulted In septic fumes being sucked back inside the ship and dispersed through the air conditioning system. There is a thread here where cheng explained a lot of the mechanics behind the issue.

The fix for the problem was some type of air diverted which MSc stated they installed last week. Right now, many of us are waiting for first hand reports to determine if the design flaw was an easy fix.

I missed that. Where exactly did MSC make this admission? (link please)

I just returned from Seaside. No sewage smell. However, in the Forest Auqapark area, there was a sulfer smell. Most likely from the stacks above. I don't believe that many people are able to discern the difference between the two...many probably assume that anything "stinky" must be a sewage smell.

Sounds like someone around you flushed something they shouldn't have and messed up the system.

Another hint that has been posted by our CC ship's engineer is to pour water down the trap that is in the floor (not the shower drain). If the trap has dried out, sewer gases will come up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sea shark- links to the reported admission are found on a sight we are not allowed to link to here :(. I’m sorry, as i would love to post the direct links, BUT references and a direct quote from MSc can be found in the sewage smell thread along with Cheng’s lengthy discussion which I found fascinating. I know that opens the entire case up for justified criticism, but the sheer number of sewage reports the first few months of seaside are difficult to ignore entirely or easily chalk up to “all ships smell”.

I’m really happy to hear you didn’t smell any sewage issues. The Aqua Park is an area often mentioned as problematic. The girls are really pushing for another girls trip in the YC, so I hope that the reports of sewage (or sulfur) decrease dramatically.

Sea shark- links to the reported admission are found on a sight we are not allowed to link to here :(. I’m sorry, as i would love to post the direct links, BUT references and a direct quote from MSc can be found in the sewage smell thread along with Cheng’s lengthy discussion which I found fascinating. I know that opens the entire case up for justified criticism, but the sheer number of sewage reports the first few months of seaside are difficult to ignore entirely or easily chalk up to “all ships smell”.

I’m really happy to hear you didn’t smell any sewage issues. The Aqua Park is an area often mentioned as problematic. The girls are really pushing for another girls trip in the YC, so I hope that the reports of sewage (or sulfur) decrease dramatically.

Hmmm...that isn't true. You are not permitted to promote Facebook Groups on this site. There is no rule prohibiting a link to an MSC issued statement...regardless of where MSC released it.

I missed that. Where exactly did MSC make this admission? (link please)

I just returned from Seaside. No sewage smell. However, in the Forest Auqapark area, there was a sulfer smell. Most likely from the stacks above. I don't believe that many people are able to discern the difference between the two...many probably assume that anything "stinky" must be a sewage smell.

Does that make it any better? Sulfur, sewage, I don't think anyone enjoys the smell of either. To me, the point is, you shouldn't have to smell something that bad when enjoying a cruise ship.

Does that make it any better? Sulfur, sewage, I don't think anyone enjoys the smell of either. To me, the point is, you shouldn't have to smell something that bad when enjoying a cruise ship.
No...of course it doesn't make it "better". It only makes it accurate. It's harder, believe it or not, to correct an issue that isn't properly reported. Nobody said you had to smell something bad, but false reporting isn't helping at all.

Trolls gonna troll...

I am on Seaside this month and MSC Black Card, I am a frequent traveler. I like information, but not hyperbole from folks who grind their invisible ax just to aggrevate others.

No travel experience is for everybody, share and gather information, if not for you...move on to the threads for the cruise you prefer.

I'm not loyal to MSC (or any brand), I have status (CLs, hotels, airlines, CCs) by frequency and volume. When a brand no longer meets my needs, I speak with my wallet...no endless thread crapping on forums/reviews.

Cheers!

You do know that there is a program to tell who has you really blocked and who has you “fake” blocked right? But please, carry on- I think anyone sensitive to criticism should block me. I’m sure I aggravate many people, but my hope is that I help more than I aggravate:)

BB ... I choose not to block anyone because I like to help them out when they post wrong info, that said you are correct that MSC did release a statement that was posted on the thread you mention which I also read. Without going back I am not sure that MSC did say it was a design fault, that may have come up as part of the discussion.

With regard to Sulpher smells, the smoke stacks/ Funnels are much further forward on Seaside than other ships which appears to allow for a downdraft depending on the days weather and wind direction which could allow the burnt fuel/Sulpher to drop towards the decks, a swirling wind could also allow it to enter the air intake ducts which are placed along the mid section of the ship between Decks 8 and 9 on both sides. This could also explain the smell being inside the ship from the A/C.

hopefully the o.p will come back and let us know his situation regarding the smell in his cabin.

BB ... I choose not to block anyone because I like to help them out when they post wrong info, that said you are correct that MSC did release a statement that was posted on the thread you mention which I also read. Without going back I am not sure that MSC did say it was a design fault, that may have come up as part of the discussion.

With regard to Sulpher smells, the smoke stacks/ Funnels are much further forward on Seaside than other ships which appears to allow for a downdraft depending on the days weather and wind direction which could allow the burnt fuel/Sulpher to drop towards the decks, a swirling wind could also allow it to enter the air intake ducts which are placed along the mid section of the ship between Decks 8 and 9 on both sides. This could also explain the smell being inside the ship from the A/C.

hopefully the o.p will come back and let us know his situation regarding the smell in his cabin.

Our friends are in Deck 13 this coming Saturday so will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums