Project Icon Class

52 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

PC will use barges. They will come down from Savanna.  PC will also use LNG for the space program.  We are very used to handling very cold liquid fuel. The Jacksonville fuel is dedicated to cargo vessels 

And those barges can also potentially go to Miami.

7 hours ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

Jacksonville is driveable from NJ so there is that possibility:classic_biggrin:

The only current cruise terminal in Jacksonville is west of the Dames Point Bridge and only smaller ships (Carnival fantacy class ships) can fit under the bridge. For bigger ships, it will require building a new Terminal. 

steamboats and changkp75 posted about the bunkering process in this thread. The refueling vessel looks nothing like a typical heavy fuel barge.

Current USCG regulations don't preclude future changes as LNG fueled ships become more common. The article steamboats linked to (requires translation unless you speak German) gives a good description of the process and Changkp75 elaborates on the process.

Edited by Captain Billy Bob

1 hour ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

In Europe, it is very common for what in the US would be considered to be a small tanker to be used for bunkering ships.  The typical bunker barge commonly seen fueling cruise ships in the US is not used in Europe.

With regards to LNG fueling capabilities, Port Canaveral will not have an LNG terminal, it will receive LNG by the tanker linked to above, from a liquifaction facility in Savannah, GA.

While ports like Boston do extend a security zone around LNG ships, many don't enter the port anymore, using an offshore unloading facility now.  The main reason the USCG treats Boston LNG differently (the LNG import facilities on the Gulf Coast don't do anything special about security) is that the majority of LNG going to Boston comes from Yemen, so there is the possibility of stowaways and sabotage.

More and more facilities are being built to re-liquify natural gas from the pipelines, but more for the possibility of export on LNG tankers than for bunkering, though an LNG tanker is an LNG tanker, whether it is an ocean-going export tanker or a coastwise tanker for bunkering ships.  The major problem with bunkering ships in the US will be that these LNG bunker tankers will need to be built in the US.

Just now, Captain Billy Bob said:

Is there a different type of LNG bunker barge other than the ones you have referenced?

This board is fortunate to have your expertise on offer.

No, what I am saying is that for "old school" liquid residual fuel oil, the types of barges used in the US are not common in other places around the world.  An LNG "bunker barge" as you linked, is really a tanker, and similar to what is used for fuel oil elsewhere in the world.  The sloping green area of the tanker in the article is the top of the LNG storage tanks, and the large deck structure in front of the accommodation block is the liquifaction and inerting systems.

• Like 1

I would love to see this thread give them some cool ideas for innovative things they can do on the new ships! 

Not that I don't appreciate the fun snark. I do! :classic_biggrin:

But how about this. They have put the Bamboo Room tiki bars on a couple of ships (replacing the underused Vintages wine bars), but I think it's a mistake putting them in an interior space when they could maybe make better use of the ocean views. To me, for instance, a Tiki Bar would ideally be open to the ocean breeze. 

They could have it in an interior space, but on the edge of the ship, like where they have the Schooner Bar or Boleros on the Freedom Class, and design the windows so that they could be slid back or opened up like a garage door to let the tropical breeze and ambiance in, or maybe have partial patio seating when the weather's good. Add in tropical music and may some retro entertainment (think hula dancers with ukeleles), or even a solo acoustic singer/guitarist, playing some Jack Johnson, Buffett and the like. I think a place like that would pack out. 

Boleros or the Schooner Bar don't really depend so much on the view for their appeal, so they could be relocated elsewhere. 

29 minutes ago, theotherchad said:

I would love to see this thread give them some cool ideas for innovative things they can do on the new ships! 

But how about this. They have put the Bamboo Room tiki bars on a couple of ships (replacing the underused Vintages wine bars), but I think it's a mistake putting them in an interior space when they could maybe make better use of the ocean views. To me, for instance, a Tiki Bar would ideally be open to the ocean breeze. 

They could have it in an interior space, but on the edge of the ship, like where they have the Schooner Bar or Boleros on the Freedom Class, and design the windows so that they could be slid back or opened up like a garage door to let the tropical breeze and ambiance in, or maybe have partial patio seating when the weather's good. Add in tropical music and may some retro entertainment (think hula dancers with ukeleles), or even a solo acoustic singer/guitarist, playing some Jack Johnson, Buffett and the like. I think a place like that would pack out. 

Boleros or the Schooner Bar don't really depend so much on the view for their appeal, so they could be relocated elsewhere. 

Sounds like you’re onto something .

How about utilising the front of the ship and the heli deck.Some big mechanised doors that can be opened and closed as weather permits.

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Sounds like you’re onto something .

How about utilising the front of the ship and the heli deck.Some big mechanised doors that can be opened and closed as weather permits.

Yep! 

Are you listening RCCL?  :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, theotherchad said:

Wouldn't that be nice? To me, the bionic bar is just too gimmicky. Does anyone ever do it more than once or twice? 

I've never seen more than a few people there and there is usually a bartender standing there to assist the robot in making the drinks.🙄 I think some groups also use it s a meeting place. A hugh waste of space.

Edited by Captain Billy Bob
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, theotherchad said:

Wouldn't that be nice? To me, the bionic bar is just too gimmicky. Does anyone ever do it more than once or twice? 

Kind of like Wonderland 😉

Edited by John&LaLa

3 hours ago, theotherchad said:

A lot of folks feel Schooner Bar on Radiance and Vision ships definitely take advantage of ocean views.

Just now, John&LaLa said:

A lot of folks feel Schooner Bar on Radiance and Vision ships definitely take advantage of ocean views.

Fair enough, but on the Vision class, the Schooner Bar is basically a hallway with chairs on each wall, so the view is pretty much all you've got. I was really referring to the Schooner Bar as it's configured on the Freedom class and either way,  I'm not advocating for the Schooner bar to be placed somewhere down in the bowels of the ship, like they have done with the nightclubs on the Voyager class. But as they are designing new areas on new ships, or reconfiguring others, I think that having a space that can be made indoor or outdoor, depending on the weather could be really cool, especially if it's a Tiki Bar. That wouldn't work for the Schooner bar, though, because humidity is really bad for pianos. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, theotherchad said:

Fair enough, but on the Vision class, the Schooner Bar is basically a hallway with chairs on each wall, so the view is pretty much all you've got. I was really referring to the Schooner Bar as it's configured on the Freedom class and either way,  I'm not advocating for the Schooner bar to be placed somewhere down in the bowels of the ship, like they have done with the nightclubs on the Voyager class. But as they are designing new areas on new ships, or reconfiguring others, I think that having a space that can be made indoor or outdoor, depending on the weather could be really cool, especially if it's a Tiki Bar. That wouldn't work for the Schooner bar, though, because humidity is really bad for pianos. 

Sounds fun, but maybe in a protected part of the pool deck or somewhere like Wipe Out

3 hours ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

I've never seen more than a few people there and there is usually a bartender standing there to assist the robot in making the drinks.🙄 I think some groups also use it s a meeting place. A hugh waste of space.

Not too loud. Any space considered under utilized is usually turned into more Cabins...