Project Icon Class

On 3/13/2019 at 12:07 AM, SakeDad said:

All I can say about this is the Navigator was such a pain in the ass in dry dock it was stated more than once she will be the ONLY ship to have that slide in the fleet. We'll see if they stick with that or not.

What is so different about that new slide on Navigator from others? 

8 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:
9 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

Given the negative feedback from Edge-cruisers, how much you wanna bet Royal Caribbean is busy redesigning the Icon-class to remove the Infinite Verandas?

Honestly, the IV’s feel like the worst cabin design blunder since the Nor. Epic’s split bathroom design. When you get past the hype, Infinite Verandas (Like Epic’s odd bathrooms) were an attempt to reduce overall cabin size in order to fit more cabins. It was a cost saving decision, not a brilliant design innovation passengers would love and pay a premium for. I’m just surprised the IV design was first attempted by a premium like like Celebrity. I would have expected it first from NCL or Carnival or some Asian start-up. I suspect RCI/Celebrity is working overtime to determine how to reduce the number of IVs on Epic III and IV (Opus and Luxe), as well as the Icon-class. It was a rare misstep after decades of design innovation wins for the company. 

I still cannot grasp this. It is more private, more interior cabin space to use as you wish. I have not experienced these, but I just cannot grasp that they are a blunder of any kind. Every since I saw them announced, I have thought they were great. I would actually pay for a balcony if RCI had these. 

I think it's pretty cool as well but I've heard that most people seem to think that it does not "feel" like a balcony as you are not truly outdoors.   The window opens about halfway to let the breeze in. In that respect, it probably feels more like a sun-room or glass-enclosed porch.

I do like the privacy aspect of it. I wonder if it's quieter than the traditional balcony,.

I also wonder if it's going to screw up the A/C system if people keep the window opens all day and night.

Edited by HBE4

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I think it's pretty cool as well but I've heard that most people seem to think that it does not "feel" like a balcony as you are not truly outdoors.   The window opens about halfway to let the breeze in. In that respect, it probably feels more like a sun-room or glass-enclosed porch.

I do like the privacy aspect of it. I wonder if it's quieter than the traditional balcony,.

I also wonder if it's going to screw up the A/C system if people keep the window opens all day and night.

Also... when I look at pictures it appears that each one has a divider folded against the wall. I wonder if those close to create a separate "balcony area?" 

9 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

I read somewhere that RCI had the original VCL removed from the funnel of Song of Norway before the ship was sold and stored. If that’s true, I’d LOVE to see them incorporate that original lounge into the design of the first Icon-class ship as a tribute to the line’s first ship. Maybe make it into a small museum with RCI memorabilia.

And to further give it the throwback feel, you have to climb a ladder to get inside. 😉

Or to modernize it, replace the ladder with  a rock wall. If you succeed getting up there, you get to drink for free. Bonus: It'll probably reduce the number of pinnacles "reserving' chairs all day long.  😀

3 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Also... when I look at pictures it appears that each one has a divider folded against the wall. I wonder if those close to create a separate "balcony area?" 

Yes.

And there is a black out shade that can be pulled down (electronically) to block out light if you wish.  There are a couple of cabin reviews on YouTube. cabins look gorgeous. and very space efficient with a few nifty touches.

• Like 1