Rise in Gratuities

Josy1953

You need to look back on your previous posts, I think you have contradicted yourself. Not every body get onboard credit these days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We book select so get obc but saver probably don't.

This year £80obc for a 3 night superior deluxe cabin and £100obc for a 2 night suite cabin.

Perhaps P and O are putting up the price because they can. They will only stop increasing the price when we stop paying it the increasing price. That would be quite normal behaviour for a business. In which case the more people who cancel the automatic gratuities the sooner the charge will stop rising.

I will say I have always paid the automatic gratuity. I have always seen it as part of the cost of the cruise.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Agree and agree.

It’s not P&O who are generous - if you get a lot of OBC it’s generally because you have paid a higher price for the cruise

On Celebrity I am always pleased to get a “free” drinks package but deep down I know it’s not really free and I have paid for it in the price

RC free drinks packages,the price of which has seen a £200pp price increase to cover this and the ships always sail full.

P&O could do this with gratuitys and make a big deal of inclusive tips which a lot of Brits would welcome.

Perhaps P and O are putting up the price because they can. They will only stop increasing the price when we stop paying it the increasing price. That would be quite normal behaviour for a business. In which case the more people who cancel the automatic gratuities the sooner the charge will stop rising.

I will say I have always paid the automatic gratuity. I have always seen it as part of the cost of the cruise.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Fair comment. Like yourself, we always pay the auto gratuities and we also see it as part of the cruise cost. This rise does annoy me and I do feel like removing them next time.

With all due respect can I ask why you choose to post everything you think, it really isn't necessary to commentate on every other posters opinion and if anything it cluters up the threads.

With respect i respectfully read everyones post and post answers if i think it warrants it.

It is up to me if i think it is necessary to post on an open forum which you need to respect you don't need permission to post on.

After 45 cruises and 50 years of foreign travel i think i have a reasonable knowledge to be able to post without restraint.

With respect i respectfully read everyones post and post answers if i think it warrants it.

It is up to me if i think it is necessary to post on an open forum which you need to respect you don't need permission to post on.

After 45 cruises and 50 years of foreign travel i think i have a reasonable knowledge to be able to post without restraint.

You don't need to justify yourself. You're one of the people that's keeping this Forum going and you're never confrontational either.

We pay the service charge and pay extra tips to particularly deserving staff (usually the cabin steward) on top. However, I do feel that OBC is a completely unrelated issue to the subject of service charges.

As a rule of thumb, when prices go up, so does OBC and when prices fall, so does the amount of OBC. I therefore consider the cost of my cruise to be the price paid less OBC. Therefore any OBC that I get is my money and not P&O’s, so using it to pay for the service charge means that I have to pay extra for other things that would otherwise have been covered by the OBC.

Although I pay the service charge, like most others I would much prefer that prices were increased and the service charge was scrapped. Many of us would continue to pay tips to particularly deserving staff, so there would still be an incentive for them to provide a great service experience.

The more I think about this issue, the more I am coming to the logical conclusion that those of us who pay are being asked for more due to an increasing number who don’t pay. I am happy to pay my fair share but I don’t see why I should be subsidising others. If I am thinking this way, many others will be and more and more will go a step further and remove the charge.

In these days of ‘people power’ and ‘mass campaigns’, a potential way to break this cycle would be for a large scale, well promoted, concerted campaign to encourage as many passengers as possible to remove the service charges. If enough people did it, P&O would have no choice but to scrap it and increase prices so that nobody could avoid it. The problem, of course, is that we all know that in the intervening period (from the start of any campaign until P&O changes the policy), the losers would be the hard working staff and their families that they have left behind around the other side of the world. So, there we have the problem and the vicious circle continues.

obc is there as a incentive to book and not used as gratuities for the p and o employees it is there responsability of p and o to pay the staff a proper wage and tipping from guests should be a reward

It is an incentive to book select along with being able to pick cabin and dining options.

We have always tipped the brilliant crew generously in whichever method is recommended by the cruise line.

We pay the service charge and pay extra tips to particularly deserving staff (usually the cabin steward) on top. However, I do feel that OBC is a completely unrelated issue to the subject of service charges.

As a rule of thumb, when prices go up, so does OBC and when prices fall, so does the amount of OBC. I therefore consider the cost of my cruise to be the price paid less OBC. Therefore any OBC that I get is my money and not P&O’s, so using it to pay for the service charge means that I have to pay extra for other things that would otherwise have been covered by the OBC.

Although I pay the service charge, like most others I would much prefer that prices were increased and the service charge was scrapped. Many of us would continue to pay tips to particularly deserving staff, so there would still be an incentive for them to provide a great service experience.

The more I think about this issue, the more I am coming to the logical conclusion that those of us who pay are being asked for more due to an increasing number who don’t pay. I am happy to pay my fair share but I don’t see why I should be subsidising others. If I am thinking this way, many others will be and more and more will go a step further and remove the charge.

In these days of ‘people power’ and ‘mass campaigns’, a potential way to break this cycle would be for a large scale, well promoted, concerted campaign to encourage as many passengers as possible to remove the service charges. If enough people did it, P&O would have no choice but to scrap it and increase prices so that nobody could avoid it. The problem, of course, is that we all know that in the intervening period (from the start of any campaign until P&O changes the policy), the losers would be the hard working staff and their families that they have left behind around the other side of the world. So, there we have the problem and the vicious circle continues.

That just about sums it up perfectly.

P&O know that while many of us are getting annoyed by the above inflation rises we will not stop the auto tips as it is the staff who will be adversely affected.

obc is there as a incentive to book and not used as gratuities for the p and o employees it is there responsability of p and o to pay the staff a proper wage and tipping from guests should be a reward

I agree that It is the responsibility of the cruise company to pay a proper wage but you can’t separate that from the passengers as to pay a proper wage the cruise cost needs to go up

This rise is since I booked my cruise and so my grats will be, one way or another, at the price I was informed when booking. Probably cancel auto and give some, believing anyway that it will be pooled.

On that basis everyone who books on day one would be in the same position. We often book 20+ months ahead so we have a right to only accept conditions in place at that time. On that basis the company would not be able to change anything.

I have always thought that this argument that a company cannot change anything after you have booked to be a bit daft. Especially when the lead in time for booking cruises is so long.

I will be booking in March April for late 19 and early 20. I have no doubt that some things will change between booking and the cruise. Including another rise in tips.

On that basis everyone who books on day one would be in the same position. We often book 20+ months ahead so we have a right to only accept conditions in place at that time. On that basis the company would not be able to change anything.

I have always thought that this argument that a company cannot change anything after you have booked to be a bit daft. Especially when the lead in time for booking cruises is so long.

I will be booking in March April for late 19 and early 20. I have no doubt that some things will change between booking and the cruise. Including another rise in tips.

Please point out where I said they could not change this. What I said was that I agreed an amount at time of booking and that I would pay, but as the change they have made is not mandatory, that would invalidate a U.K. Established contract, I shall chose not to pay the increase.

Some on here have hit the nail on the head. The more pax that line up at the pursers desk and remove their 'service charge' then more chance that P&O will increase the daily service charge to make up for lost revenue. At the end of the day the 'service charge' is a wage subsidy.:evilsmile: I would love to know the percentage of pax on P&O Cruise who remove the service charge.:rolleyes:

For me you have summed the issue up perfectly - well reasoned and most cogent.

Like others I can see an increase in those removing part or all of the gratuity even if they have previously not done so as a protest at the increases given the time span and % involved. Then there is the issue of a changing demographic who may not buy into the concept at all.

A decline in revenue = further increases putting the burden on those who continue to leave gratuities in place.

This isn't a comment on the amount (especially compared with other cruise lines) or a judgement about those who remove the charge or don't, or those who tip personally the full amount, more, or not at all.

But it's a clear indication of where this is going. Either payers will pay ever more or feel they are being taken for a ride and throw in the towel.

I do hope P&O change their stance on this and in meantime crew aren't adversely affected. The sooner an element of service charge is incorporated into the up front cruise cost the better (and surely that would be a fair bit less than £49.00 pp per week once everyone pays).

P. S. And I too value reading posts by regular posters on here. It is a forum for exchange of views and discussion and whilst there may be differences of opinion that is part of healthy debate and information gathering. The only objection I have is to those who are rude and make unhelpful and or personal comments. We don't have to agree but being polite costs nothing! Grapau et al, keep up the good work!

For me you have summed the issue up perfectly - well reasoned and most cogent.

Like others I can see an increase in those removing part or all of the gratuity even if they have previously not done so as a protest at the increases given the time span and % involved. Then there is the issue of a changing demographic who may not buy into the concept at all.

A decline in revenue = further increases putting the burden on those who continue to leave gratuities in place.

This isn't a comment on the amount (especially compared with other cruise lines) or a judgement about those who remove the charge or don't, or those who tip personally the full amount, more, or not at all.

But it's a clear indication of where this is going. Either payers will pay ever more or feel they are being taken for a ride and throw in the towel.

I do hope P&O change their stance on this and in meantime crew aren't adversely affected. The sooner an element of service charge is incorporated into the up front cruise cost the better (and surely that would be a fair bit less than £49.00 pp per week once everyone pays).

P. S. And I too value reading posts by regular posters on here. It is a forum for exchange of views and discussion and whilst there may be differences of opinion that is part of healthy debate and information gathering. The only objection I have is to those who are rude and make unhelpful and or personal comments. We don't have to agree but being polite costs nothing! Grapau et al, keep up the good work!

Thank you for your support.

I only post if i think i can add anything constructive.

I think P&O would make a great gesture for the British market by incorporating the autogratuity into the cruise cost.

The crew are excellent and i for one would always give an extra cash tip anyway to a crew member who gave us excellent customer service.

We are travelling on the Azura on the 23rd March this year and have also been informed that the gratuities are to be increased from that date. Ironic how it starts on the day we cruise. I can see an even longer queue of passengers at the desk on the 1st sea day cancelling them. Come on P&O listen to the passengers and be up front for once on the distribution of these to the crew, your explanation doesn't seem to correspond with the crew. !!!

Yes they can change things, they just have to either think and plan ahead or accept that the change will only apply to bookings made after it is changed in the publicity / contract. It is their choice to sell holidays so far in advance.

What they can't do is change a contract after it is made. If you follow that to a logical conclusion (and if the law allowed them to do so which it does not) then they could literally change anything and pax would have no say in the matter.

As it is cruise (and holiday contracts in general) are very one sided and that is why more and more are being challenged.