Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

madda We are also booked to cruise with APT, later than you this year.

Given the current circumstances and reading multiple reports here, and other social media about cancellations @ short notice we asked APT, and our TA for current info.

Interested if you have done the same and what the outcome was?

We have done several European river cruises and know the issues but are keen to gain updates, certainly prior to leaving Australia.

We are told via email they will inform us of any changes.

Some have reported not being informed of cancellations until arriving in Europe, and some just before boarding planes.

Just curious about your experience.    

1 hour ago, pully8 said:

madda We are also booked to cruise with APT, later than you this year.

Given the current circumstances and reading multiple reports here, and other social media about cancellations @ short notice we asked APT, and our TA for current info.

Interested if you have done the same and what the outcome was?

We have done several European river cruises and know the issues but are keen to gain updates, certainly prior to leaving Australia.

Some have reported not being informed of cancellations until arriving in Europe, and some just before boarding planes.

Haven't heard anything yet, we will be getting our travel documents tonight at a 'meet-n-greet' so hopefully will find out more then. I'm pretty sure we would be advised well in advance because our tour/cruise is a fully guided tour from Adelaide with I believe 22 people all going together. Will let you know tomorrow.

My husband and I did this trip (A to B) in early August. A week before we left Australia our TA let us know that a ship swap would occur about midway. We started on the AmaVenita and finished on the AmaReina. Same cabin, same everything really. Minimal hassle. We missed Regensburg (some still went - 2.5 hours each way) but we thoroughly enjoyed an unscheduled spot, Engelszell  - a real find with an outstanding Trappist Abbey. Our cruise was amazing - the ships were very, very similar. The biggest downside was leaving the crew after a week, but we soon got to know the new crew. The cruise director was brilliant - she stayed with us throughout. Even then the Rhine gorge was tricky to traverse but we got there!

The ship swap was the only change to itinerary and we felt it was flagged in plenty of time.

Good luck to all - I'm sure APT will ensure you have a fabulous trip, regardless of any necessary changes.

• Like 2

Yesterday was a glorious sunny warm day along the Danube 18°C, real beer garden weather - in November. Sam today.

Thursday will bring cloudy colder weather 12°C. The next rain is "due" on Sunday accommpanied by a storm. Germany used to be very efficent, but these days! The new Berliner airport was due to open seven (yes 7) years ago, now due to open October 2020. People are betting what will come first rain or the Berlinairport opening.

Sorry there are no Picasso paintings available for the Danube at present.

5 hours ago, pully8 said:

APT have been working about 7-10 days out from the date the cruise itself departs, if you begin your travels significantly ahead of that date then there is some risk of it being a bit close to the critical dates for you, but in all honesty there isn't much certainty any further out and even 7-10 days is pushing it.

Unlike some other lines, if there is a significant risk of major problems then APT have been both allowing people to cancel for a full refund, or cancel the cruise but keep the included flights (at a cost) so if you have other plans based around the cruise you still have the option to go ahead with the travel.

12 hours ago, madda said:

Hi everyone, I have been following this thread very carefully. Now something seems very strange, my husband and I are also due to embark on the AmaVenita on 24th November from Budapest to Amsterdam. We are picking up our travel documents tonight so I'll see if anything has changed.

Same cruise as ourselves as I posted earlier. Fingers and toes crossed for some rain to perhaps at least to go as far as we can cruising, as we do not like the prospect of buses all the way. See you on board hopefully.

11 hours ago, JAG64 said:

Same cruise as ourselves as I posted earlier. Fingers and toes crossed for some rain to perhaps at least to go as far as we can cruising, as we do not like the prospect of buses all the way. See you on board hopefully.

We collected our documents last night and we are still listed as being on the AmaVenita, so I guess we will just have to wait and see. Also told that there could be a ship swap along the river somewhere, but too far out to tell at the moment. Hope to see you on board also, my name is Marilyn and my husband is Terry.

8 hours ago, madda said:

We collected our documents last night and we are still listed as being on the AmaVenita, so I guess we will just have to wait and see. Also told that there could be a ship swap along the river somewhere, but too far out to tell at the moment. Hope to see you on board also, my name is Marilyn and my husband is Terry.

Thanks for that info. At least interruption to cruising was mentioned.

Will continue to watch with interest and good luck with your trip. Long flights from Adelaide to Europe.  

This morning it is misty and cold along the Danube, typical November day - the only thing missing is rain.

There is a rain belt passing over  Germany in a northenly direction, even if you were caught out in a shower you would not get wet.

There is some rain predicted over the next 6 days, but only very light drizzle, not enough to have an effect on the river levels.

Only 20 days to go til the Passau Christmas Market opens it's doors, run until 23rd. December:

http://passauer-christkindlmarkt.de/

If you are in Vilshofen, there is a floating Christmas Market:

http://www.vilshofen.de/index.php/events/schwimmender-christkindlmarkt

Not to forget Engelhartzell, this is more traditional Christmas Market (the true meaning of such markets):

http://www.engelhartszell.at/Adventmarkt_im_Stift_Engelszell

So in three weeks I'll raise my glühwein mug and toast all cruisers be they on land (in a bus between ships), sea or in the air - safe and pleasant cruising.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

This morning it is misty and cold along the Danube, typical November day - the only thing missing is rain.

There is a rain belt passing over  Germany in a northenly direction, even if you were caught out in a shower you would not get wet.

There is some rain predicted over the next 6 days, but only very light drizzle, not enough to have an effect on the river levels.

Only 20 days to go til the Passau Christmas Market opens it's doors, run until 23rd. December:

http://passauer-christkindlmarkt.de/

If you are in Vilshofen, there is a floating Christmas Market:

http://www.vilshofen.de/index.php/events/schwimmender-christkindlmarkt

Not to forget Engelhartzell, this is more traditional Christmas Market (the true meaning of such markets):

http://www.engelhartszell.at/Adventmarkt_im_Stift_Engelszell

So in three weeks I'll raise my glühwein mug and toast all cruisers be they on land (in a bus between ships), sea or in the air - safe and pleasant cruising.

Thanks for the links! We should be in Passau a month from today and we're still hoping for rain in the meantime. I just downloaded the program flyer from the link you posted. 

17 hours ago, Lggva said:

Scheduled on the Viking Alta Nuremberg to Budapest on November 29. Anyone have any information on the Viking Daube Waltz?

We're scheduled to be on the Viking Atla Nuremberg to Budapest on November 17, Romantic Danube. I'm becoming an expert, haha, on Danube water levels. So far, it appears the Atla is making its way through the current itinerary; hard to be certain though.

22 hours ago, madda said:

HI Marilyn, fingers still crossed for rain but all you can do is try and enjoy what they plan anyway. Four of us travelling and hope to see you on board too - Jacqui and Paul G, Robyn and Michael M.

My cruise on the Alta actually leaves on 12/2.  I have a private tour booked in Budapest and my tour guide tells me the boats are getting to Budapest. Fingers-crossed for both of us. I’ll look for your updates. Have a great trip. 

15 hours ago, pully8 said:

Thanks for that info. At least interruption to cruising was mentioned.

Will continue to watch with interest and good luck with your trip. Long flights from Adelaide to Europe.  

Thanks, it is a long way from Adelaide to Europe. Every time we go to Europe we say never again, but always return, this trip will take about 37 hours from leaving home to arriving at our hotel in Prague, but it will be worth it. Good luck with your adventures also.

Thanks and agree we say the same but enjoy it once there.

We prefer spring and autumn in Europe but winter is a good time to escape the hot weather here.

We will watch with interest how this current situation goes but expect to enjoy things once we get there. 

2 hours ago, Lggva said:

My cruise on the Alta actually leaves on 12/2.  I have a private tour booked in Budapest and my tour guide tells me the boats are getting to Budapest. Fingers-crossed for both of us. I’ll look for your updates. Have a great trip. 

Just received an email from Viking about the water levels, indicating that we won't be able to sail between Regensburg and Passau and will be transferred by motorcoach. I looked it up and it's a 1-1/2 hour drive. The email also indicates that is the water levels do not improve, they may need to dock in alternate locations or incorporate hotel stays. Finally, the message says that the river conditions today may be very different than on the day we pass through the affected area. So, we've been warned; praying for rain!!

1 minute ago, kellyirwin610@gmail.com said:

Just received an email from Viking about the water levels, indicating that we won't be able to sail between Regensburg and Passau and will be transferred by motorcoach. I looked it up and it's a 1-1/2 hour drive. The email also indicates that is the water levels do not improve, they may need to dock in alternate locations or incorporate hotel stays. Finally, the message says that the river conditions today may be very different than on the day we pass through the affected area. So, we've been warned; praying for rain!!

Shoot, I’ll pray for rain too. Regensburg is lovely. Enjoy!

I too are reading with great interest about the river levels as myself, husband, daughter and future son-in-law are supposed to be starting a Christmas cruise on the 3rd December with Travemarvel from Budapest to Amsterdam. Could everyone with spare time PLEASE do some rain and snow dances in all those places that will help increase the river levels.😁🚢

A big thank you to everyone that has made comments, suggestions given information regarding water levels etc regarding all our river cruises, plus the wonderful photos, this is a a great forum to belong to.

1 hour ago, KrystynaL said:

I too are reading with great interest about the river levels as myself, husband, daughter and future son-in-law are supposed to be starting a Christmas cruise on the 3rd December with Travemarvel from Budapest to Amsterdam. Could everyone with spare time PLEASE do some rain and snow dances in all those places that will help increase the river levels.😁🚢

Welcome to CC.

Sorry to say  snow will have no effect on the river levels for your December cruise. Only when the snow (if we get any that is) melts, which is usually in spring will it impact river levels.

Enjoy your cruise.

We are travelling from Vienna to Nuremberg (hum) at the end of November on the Amadeus Queen. Touch wood we shall get from Vienna to Passau ok - not sure where we will dock in Passau. Unfortunately I have already bought our own train tickets from Nuremberg to Munich airport for our return flight - we will see if they will refund us that if the ship then sticks at Passau. I think the Passau day will be good, and I am happy if they include a 1.5 hour e.w. coach to Regensburg the next day to see that. Then perhaps we will have an extra day in Passau instead of attempting to get to Nuremberg?

Any suggestions for other day there? I assume I can buy (if I need it) a train ticket on the day at the station from Passau to Munich airport for our journey home? Has anyone else had this experience?

3 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

We are travelling from Vienna to Nuremberg (hum) at the end of November on the Amadeus Queen. Touch wood we shall get from Vienna to Passau ok - not sure where we will dock in Passau. Unfortunately I have already bought our own train tickets from Nuremberg to Munich airport for our return flight - we will see if they will refund us that if the ship then sticks at Passau. I think the Passau day will be good, and I am happy if they include a 1.5 hour e.w. coach to Regensburg the next day to see that. Then perhaps we will have an extra day in Passau instead of attempting to get to Nuremberg?

Any suggestions for other day there? I assume I can buy (if I need it) a train ticket on the day at the station from Passau to Munich airport for our journey home? Has anyone else had this experience?

OK lets try and help a fellow Londoner. Vienna to Passau, their should be no problem, in the first picture, tha last column "Liegestelle" is the mooring for Amadeus Queen, is the second shows the position of the mooring (you will be in the Old Town).

image.thumb.jpeg.2746c155fb99fe71f35253d5f75ed8b0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6d31788b3d9601cd616c1174f46dbd13.jpeg

Below is the English web site for the German Railways, at the bottom is a section for Exchange and Cancellation also a link to their English APP. There are hourly trains Passau - Munich Airport, changing at Landshut. The best ticket is a group Bayern Ticket for Two, €31.00, weekdays can only be used after 09:30, weekens no restrictions.

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

Regensburg is well worth a visit. In Passau, a walking tour will give you a good overview and cover most of the sights, Cathedral, Old Town Hall, rivers (with or without water). If you have time a visit to the fortess above Passau, Oberhaus is worth a visit, glorious views. Small buses from in front of the Old Town Hall.

If you have an extra day a visit to český krumlov czech republic (most ships offer such an excursion), the town is an UNESCO World Heitage Site. You will pass through the Bavarian and Bohemian Forests.

If you need more information - just ask. Have a great cruise.

PS. Another bug to report, double images.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by G.M.T.