Understanding Harvest Caye

Rockysoap

• 6 months later...

If you have been to HC on NCC, I wanted some clarification please.

are there any options to leave the private island by ferry to experience Belizian cultural activities or is it like Half Moon Cay ......a beach stop and no options for participating in excursions.

Although I didn't do it, there is a shuttle to the mainland.  You need to book specific round trip times, as it's capacity limited.  I don't remember much else about it, but search around and I'm sure someone has done it.

• 2 weeks later...

You can take a ferry to Palencia.  You have to buy the ferry tickets on the ship - you can get them the first day you board.  At least that's what I was told when I called NCL.  We are going to be there in a few weeks and wanted to do a private snorkeling excursion but decided it wasn't worth it.  We are going to do the Monkey River Eco tour through the cruiseline and then just hang out on the beach at HC for the afternoon.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:47 PM, XSYTD said:

If you have been to HC on NCC, I wanted some clarification please.

are there any options to leave the private island by ferry to experience Belizian cultural activities or is it like Half Moon Cay ......a beach stop and no options for participating in excursions.

You can take the ferry over.  We signed up on the ship, it was $30pp round trip.  When we signed up the times available were 9:30am and 12:00pm.  We chose the 9:30.  Not sure if the other times were sold out or they just reserved them for walk up traffic at the ferry dock.  When we got the the ferry location on HC we were given a wrist band.  It had our 9:30am time and then 3:30pm for the return ferry.  They said they figure most people that take the earliest ferry have an excursion planned so they give the last ferry return time.  Otherwise your ferry return is scheduled for I believe 3 hours after your ferry over (ex. 10am over 1pm back).  If you do not make your return ferry scheduled you have to wait until there is room on the next ferry to come back.  I have seen where someone said they had to wait a couple of hours because the ferries were full with people with the correct time.  Just an FYI. 

Once there we rented a golf cart and just drove around exploring on our own.  Beautiful island and the resorts we stopped at were happy to let us look around (spotting places for a return vacation).  I highly recommend going over.  We had lunch at the Barefoot Beach Resort and it was very good, large portions and a gorgeous view.  You can also rent golf carts from them, we did, but would probably rent from somewhere else next time because it didn't go very fast.  There is a company renting right when you get off the ferry and at least one other walking towards town.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:49 AM, sid_9169 said:

When you get off the ship in Harvest Caye, walk (or take the tram) down the long pier... When you get to the island, The ferry terminal is around to the left a few couple of hundred feet. Purchase your round trip ferry ticket (it was $20 last time, but I have heard that it's $25 now) they will give you a wristband with your return ferry time. The trip to Placencia takes about 15 minutes. They drop you off at the far South part of the area, and there is a sidewalk that goes North closest to the beach. If you follow the path, you will come to some small beach bar/restaurants. There is also a road that goes the same direction, with shops and roadside stands, as well as restaurants. You can't really get lost there, because these are the only real modes of travel. (the road and the sidewalk) There are several cross paths that go from East to West intersecting the Road to the sidewalk. Edit to add: Just google a map of Placencia to get an idea of the beaches and restaurants. I made myself a self drawn paper map to remind me of points of interest while I was there. The people of Belize are so nice and helpful if you need directions as well...

I am so excited to hear that there is a ferry to Placencia, it is my favorite place in the world. We discovered it when we flew into Belize City then rented a car and drove down. Beautiful white sandy beaches and water so clear  it is like looking through clear glass.  Not a lot to do there though except eat, drink and lay out on the beach but the beach is sooo beautiful!  There are a few souvenir shops too. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/24/2019 at 7:07 PM, TMS9539 said:

You can take a ferry to Palencia.  You have to buy the ferry tickets on the ship - you can get them the first day you board.  At least that's what I was told when I called NCL.  We are going to be there in a few weeks and wanted to do a private snorkeling excursion but decided it wasn't worth it.  We are going to do the Monkey River Eco tour through the cruiseline and then just hang out on the beach at HC for the afternoon.

I am looking at the Monkey River Eco Tour too, have you done it yet? If so how would you review it? How long is the hike?

thanks in advance x

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2018 at 9:50 AM, LuckyLori said:

All ships tender at Belize City, the second largest reef is right off the coast of Belize and the water is to shallow for the ships to come a shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not true; NCL has built a long pier at Harvest Caye, no tendering required.

On 2/20/2019 at 1:20 AM, Ashland said:

Then you should be paying less for your tour since it's now a group tour. I can't remember exactly how much time we spent but I do know that it was more than enough for us. Your choice at this point.

We were supposed to be in a group of  6 people but only 4 of us showed up....We waited for the other couple (we had each booked separately) but they apparently went to the wrong pickup location (specific instructions were clearly given). On our next tour with Cosol in St Lucia we heard them complaining (loudly) about this and I couldn't help but to tell them we had indeed waited...it was their fault..they quickly stopped blaming Lawrence. The 4 of us had each (individually) found and followed instruction's they hadn't. I hate when people are quick to blame someone else.

Best of luck on whatever you decide will work best for your group.

8 hours ago, KKB said:

Edited by LuckyLori
Wrong topic

My family is cruising the Panama Canal on Oceania Marina in January.  Then we stop at HC.  Thanks to the wealth of info here and TripAdvisor, we decided to stay on the island, especially after O offered a snorkel trip out to a reef.  I did reserve it and a lagoon kayak hour as early possible as they went quickly.  I do wonder why you can’t pay for food and drink and charge to your room, assuming everything is so ‘captive’.  That would be most convenient.  Glad it’s free to use the pool, at least.