How as a result of the latest increase do you intend to tip on their next P&O Cruise?

kalos

As a result of the latest increase, How will you tip on your next P&O Cruise ?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. As a result of the latest increase, How will you tip on your next P&O Cruise ?

• YES I will pay the new auto service charge
    • NO I will not pay the new service charge
    • Prefer to pay in person without the new service charge
    • Prefer to pay the staff in person as well as the new service charge
    • I may reduce the new auto service to what I deem to be fair

I don't know how many get it but a lot don't get it - Bar staff, buffet staff, behind the scenes in the galleys, navigation, stores, maintenance, security, engineering etc. If it was, say, 250 then that would be roughly £52 each per day or £364 per week in tips.

I don't know how many get it but a lot don't get it - Bar staff, buffet staff, behind the scenes in the galleys, navigation, stores, maintenance, security, engineering etc. If it was, say, 250 then that would be roughly £52 each per day or £364 per week in tips.

Buffet staff are included in the tipping pool. I don’t know the precise numbers that the pool is divided between but would suggest it would more than 250. Keep in mind also that we know that a sizeable number of passengers remove the service charge or reduce it. Few will admit to it but lots do. So the overall tipping pool is far less than suggested and probably divided by a lot more people. Then factor in the fact that their basic wage is less than the U.K. minimum wage and they work around 50% more hours than most people in the U.K. do. There is a very strong arguement to suggest that service charges should be scrapped and cruise prices increased and that would be my position. But trying to justify not paying them on the grounds that the staff must be paid too much is a stretch too far I think.

I wasn't suggesting that nobody should pay the service charge - just attempting to put some figures on it. Having done the 'behind the scenes' tour on Ventura in January there are a great many of the 800 staff that we as passengers never normally get to see.

For the record we have always paid the service charge until this last Oriana cruise where the service in the main restaurant was poor. As a result we paid to eat in the Beach House on a fair few nights. So we removed the service charge and paid our cabin steward in cash.

I wasn't suggesting that nobody should pay the service charge - just attempting to put some figures on it. Having done the 'behind the scenes' tour on Ventura in January there are a great many of the 800 staff that we as passengers never normally get to see.

For the record we have always paid the service charge until this last Oriana cruise where the service in the main restaurant was poor. As a result we paid to eat in the Beach House on a fair few nights. So we removed the service charge and paid our cabin steward in cash.

Yes, it’s true that there are an awful lot of staff in non customer facing areas (I’ve done those behind the scenes tours as well and very interesting they are too) but, as I am sure you are aware, those staff are on entirely different contracts and have much higher salaries as they are not reliant upon the service charge pool.

For what it’s worth, I think the whole thing stinks. P&O should pay all their staff a decent wage and we should all be forced to pay more in fares to cover it. That way, those of us who pay the service charge cease subsidising the holidays of those who don’t. As I have said before, it will take a mass passenger revolt of service charge removal to make this happen, but I am increasingly tempted.

Buffet staff are included in the service program.

Bar staff have their own tips built into the cost of a drink you buy.

P&O ..." Our Service Reward Programme is a simple, one-off way for you to say ‘thank you’ for all the service you receive. A discretionary amount of £6.00* is added to your on-board account each day, for each guest aged 12 and over. This helps reward the waiters and buffet staff as well as your cabin steward or butler, who greatly appreciate your recognition of their hard work."

* £7.00 from the 23 March 2018.

Edited by kalos

Buffet staff are included in the tipping pool. I don’t know the precise numbers that the pool is divided between but would suggest it would more than 250. Keep in mind also that we know that a sizeable number of passengers remove the service charge or reduce it. Few will admit to it but lots do. So the overall tipping pool is far less than suggested and probably divided by a lot more people. Then factor in the fact that their basic wage is less than the U.K. minimum wage and they work around 50% more hours than most people in the U.K. do. There is a very strong arguement to suggest that service charges should be scrapped and cruise prices increased and that would be my position. But trying to justify not paying them on the grounds that the staff must be paid too much is a stretch too far I think.

I agree,some people will use any excuse to ease their conscience for reducing gratuitys.

Yes, it’s true that there are an awful lot of staff in non customer facing areas (I’ve done those behind the scenes tours as well and very interesting they are too) but, as I am sure you are aware, those staff are on entirely different contracts and have much higher salaries as they are not reliant upon the service charge pool.

For what it’s worth, I think the whole thing stinks. P&O should pay all their staff a decent wage and we should all be forced to pay more in fares to cover it. That way, those of us who pay the service charge cease subsidising the holidays of those who don’t. As I have said before, it will take a mass passenger revolt of service charge removal to make this happen, but I am increasingly tempted.

You have my total agreement.

Buffet staff are included in the service program.

Bar staff have their own tips built into the cost of a drink you buy.

P&O ..." Our Service Reward Programme is a simple, one-off way for you to say ‘thank you’ for all the service you receive. A discretionary amount of £6.00* is added to your on-board account each day, for each guest aged 12 and over. This helps reward the waiters and buffet staff as well as your cabin steward or butler, who greatly appreciate your recognition of their hard work."

* £7.00 from the 23 March 2018.

On RC even children are included for tipping purposes whereas it is over 12 on P&O.

Even at £7 that is still less per day than most other companies? For example, Cunard $11.50, Celebrity $13.50 and Disney $12. At current exchange rates that is approximately £8.50, £9.90 and £8.80. Of course, there are many other variables in the equation of crew remuneration and cruise cost. Although, on balance, I would prefer it all rolled into cruise fare, we perhaps have to recognise that the US approach will win the day. Much as I really like going to the USA for holidays, their approach to tipping is a constant irritation!! But if there has to be auto-gratuity it looks as though P&O will not be out of line even after the increase.

Even at £7 that is still less per day than most other companies? For example, Cunard $11.50, Celebrity $13.50 and Disney $12. At current exchange rates that is approximately £8.50, £9.90 and £8.80. Of course, there are many other variables in the equation of crew remuneration and cruise cost. Although, on balance, I would prefer it all rolled into cruise fare, we perhaps have to recognise that the US approach will win the day. Much as I really like going to the USA for holidays, their approach to tipping is a constant irritation!! But if there has to be auto-gratuity it looks as though P&O will not be out of line even after the increase.

Anyone with kids under 12 don't pay tips for the kids whereas on RCI for example over 2s are liable for full tips so another plus for P&O.

I don't think we have to recognise that the US approach will win the day because in my opinion it is the wrong approach and the American way is not always the right way.

I sympathise entirely with your sentiments. I personally hope, for example, that the UK can avoid the US approach to firearms and health services! However, for the most part the cruise industry is owned by US enterprises (even if the ships are not domiciled there) and I wouldn't be surprised if, overall, US citizens make up the majority of cruise ship passengers, although not on P&O. It may not be so easy to change the approach to tipping on cruise ships as one might like? The opinion of one member of Cruise Critic (or even a hundred or two) might not be enough to make the difference?

Just for once the French seem to have it right. When we drive to the south of France and eat out it's always 'Service Compris'.

Doesn't mean you can't add a tip for exemplary food and service if you choose.

As with everything, just let me know the total cost of the goods/services you are providing up front and allow me to make a decision as to whether to take up your offer.

Been to the USA many times,IME their version of tipping seemed to come in different ways,from the usual tipping the waiting on staff to bars where the staff (that includes the entertainment) only get paid $1,if that,& rely on tips for the rest of their money,never had a problem with any of that,it's the way things are there so just get on with it(certainly seemed to work in Vegas where every barman I spoke to owned a Corvette!),many people I've known who haven't been happy with 'having' to tip in the USA were quite happy back in the UK to tell the barstaff to take for themselves every time they went to the bar for a round,even though percentage wise it worked out to be more than they left for a meal in the USA.

However, for the most part the cruise industry is owned by US enterprises (even if the ships are not domiciled there) and I wouldn't be surprised if, overall, US citizens make up the majority of cruise ship passengers, although not on P&O. It may not be so easy to change the approach to tipping on cruise ships as one might like?

It can and has been done.

NCL (an American cruise line) changed their offering last year so they now offer an inclusive fare to their UK (and other EU) customers and an exclusive service charge on top fare to their US and Canadian customers.

I am not sure why the change but previously UK (and other EU) customers had to pay an optional service charge, and like their US customers, if they disagreed they still had to pay and then write to NCL to explain why they didn't want to pay and were then refunded.

I think that p&o are taking the Michael out of us by putting the service charge up year on year, in my opinion they should pay the staff a fair wage, and put it on the price of the cruise. Having said that, we go on holiday, leave the service charge on, and don't even think about it again. I am sorry if this will upset some, but we would never give more than the required service charge, the people who work on the ships know the pay when they accept the job.

The result of this poll is now in and thanks to all who took part.

Make what you will of the results as we are only a tiny % of P&O custom.

If you take the people who are willing to pay the service charge and the people who pay it and tip above as well that it still only comes to 41.83%. (options 1 & 4)

So now do we add the envelope option to this figure ? That can vary , some pay as much/ less and more by this method but in P&O'S scheme of things it should take the figure over 50% at the very least.

The thing we can take away from the poll for certain is only 41.83% max are happy with the Auto charges .

Well that's my take on it, anyway thanks for taking part .:)

The result of this poll is now in and thanks to all who took part.

Make what you will of the results as we are only a tiny % of P&O custom.

If you take the people who are willing to pay the service charge and the people who pay it and tip above as well that it still only comes to 41.83%. (options 1 & 4)

So now do we add the envelope option to this figure ? That can vary , some pay as much/ less and more by this method but in P&O'S scheme of things it should take the figure over 50% at the very least.

The thing we can take away from the poll for certain is only 41.83% max are happy with the Auto charges .

Well that's my take on it, anyway thanks for taking part .:)

What people vote in a poll can be very different from what they actually do on the cruise so really a poll isnt very much help or an indication.

I shall do what I always do... Not tip and do you know what? I couldn`t care less what anybody else does...

.............seriously how many threads do we need on tipping...

Do whatever makes you feel happiest, do whatever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside

but for gods sake - enjoy your blooming holiday on the ship...

For those that comment about you subsidising me and the other passengers that dont tip -- Thank you - if this was facebook I`d give you a thumbs up !!!!!!!

I shall do what I always do... Not tip and do you know what? I couldn`t care less what anybody else does...

.............seriously how many threads do we need on tipping...

Do whatever makes you feel happiest, do whatever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside

but for gods sake - enjoy your blooming holiday on the ship...

For those that comment about you subsidising me and the other passengers that dont tip -- Thank you - if this was facebook I`d give you a thumbs up !!!!!!!

Its comments like that which fuels tipping debates.