SmithAlien

Names for new Disney ships: Your guesses?

The three new ships that Disney Cruise Line have ordered (for launch in 2021, 2022, and 2023) don't have names, as of yet.

What are your guesses for the names for the new vessels?

My guesses would be Wish (from "When you wish upon a star"), Star (from

"When you wish upon a star"), and Princess (since Disney have historically made a lot of princess films), or maybe even some classic original Disney character names. A Facebook friend even suggested Millennium Falcon (I replied that a ship with that name would of course need to be Star Wars themed throughout).

By the way, I'm booked for my first Disney cruise--Disney Fantasy sailing May 11, 2019 (with a craniofacial family group someone else has organized). I'm looking forward to this new experience!

SmithAlien

I would guess that Imagination might be a contender.

The front runners on another Disney cruise site are

Legend

Legacy

Wishes

Imagination

Adventure

Legend and Legacy were the original names proposed for the first two ships, and were nixed by Eisner. I don't see them being resurrected.

Princess would be appropriate for Disney, except that it's kind of already taken in the cruise industry. I'd expect it to be vetoed by the trademark lawyers, and/or the marketing people.

I'd expect something along the lines of Imagination, Wish, Inspiration, Adventure, Odyssey, or Story.

A previous time this thread was created, I was leaning toward Disney Adventure, Disney Imagination, Disney Discovery. (I see those first two were also thought of by many others.)

Another poster suggested Disney Enchantment, which sounds good to me, too!

And I may be thinking along similar lines to elchichicuilote, as the current ship names (Magic, Wonder, Dream, Fantasty) all seem to relate to the mind, emotion, happy thoughts, etc. It would make sense for that theme to continue. Maybe Disney Wishes. I was thinking of Disney Joy and Disney Bliss, but Norwegian has ships with similar names, so maybe not.

Of course, Carnival has both a Carnival Magic and Carnival Dream (one or both based in Port Canaveral for a time), so it is not as if cruise ships can't have similar names.

We played this game on the drive to Orlando coming off our first cruise last year. It was fun!

Imagination and Wishes/Wish seem highly likely to me. I'd lean 'Wish' because none of the current ships are plural words. If it's Dream instead of Dreams, would Wish make more sense? Just a thought.

I get the thought behind 'Adventure' & 'Discovery', but those don't sound 'Disney' enough to me. Maybe Discovery, but Adventure seems too generic.

The one I haven't seen posted here yet that I think is a slam dunk is Believe.

1. Believe 2. Imagination 3. Wish

Fun discussion!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

The front runners on another Disney cruise site are

Legend

Legacy

Wishes

Imagination

Adventure

Legend and Legacy were the original names proposed for the first two ships' date=' and were nixed by Eisner. I don't see them being resurrected.[/quote']

Legend and Legacy don't seem like Disney AT ALL. I'm not surprised Eisner nixed them. Not sure how they were proposed in the first place.

Wishes and Imagination sound like great fits. Not as much with Adventure. I like Enchantment as well. I agree that Discovery is better than Adventure, but still not a great fit.

Fun discussion!

Disney Believe is my absolutely favorite, followed by Disney Wish. One thing that makes both so attractive is that no other cruise line uses these names. Also they really fit right into the Disney culture.

While I know different cruise lines can have ships with the same name, I don't like it when they do it.

So far I like Wish and Believe.

Wish would be awesome; and I don’t believe any other cruise lines have a ship with that name yet do they?

EDIT: guess i should’ve read the two posts directly above mine! Lol.

We played this game on the drive to Orlando coming off our first cruise last year. It was fun!

Imagination and Wishes/Wish seem highly likely to me. I'd lean 'Wish' because none of the current ships are plural words. If it's Dream instead of Dreams, would Wish make more sense? Just a thought.

I get the thought behind 'Adventure' & 'Discovery', but those don't sound 'Disney' enough to me. Maybe Discovery, but Adventure seems too generic.

The one I haven't seen posted here yet that I think is a slam dunk is Believe.

Fun discussion!

I like those. I cold see Figment being the character in the atrium.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Disney Adventure - Based on Adventure Land - Modernized Tropical Theme featuring the Tiki Birds

Disney Frontier - Based on Frontier Land - Western Americana inspired theming

Disney Spirit - Based on the Haunted Mansion ;)

Disney Wish - The most Disney of names floating about

Disney Imagination - Featuring Captain Dreamfinder and First Officer Figment

Disney Animation - Predictable, but how fun would that be!

Disney Horizon - Some love for original EPCOT Center fans.

Disney Cygnus

They really should name two of them Disney Star, and Disney Marvel. Those are the cash cows that are writing the checks to pay for them.

I really like Disney Wish and Disney Star. How about Disney Welcome or Disney Reflection or Disney Fairytale.

If it were to follow with the current Fleet - the name needs to be a singular noun (I know wonder could be a verb but it is used as in "Sense of Wonder" - so I don't think Believe would work. I like Imagination, Adventure, Marvel, Enchantment

Wish and Believe are my two favorites. I think of Disney the minute I hear them. I also like them because they are original and not used by any other line. We already have imagination, adventure, Star, discover, enchantment, etc at other lines. Some names are already used at multiple lines. Would be nice to see something unique.

Wish and Believe are my two favorites. I think of Disney the minute I hear them. I also like them because they are original and not used by any other line. We already have imagination, adventure, Star, discover, enchantment, etc at other lines. Some names are already used at multiple lines. Would be nice to see something unique.

Carnival has used the names Dream, Fantasy and Imagination. NCL has used Dawn, Dream, Pearl and Star (some names suggested by others). Princess has Enchanted (just announced), Sea and Star.

So by the time Disney names their ships, one or more of the suggested name could be used by another. The only one that might be safe is Wish(es).

I think they may be:

Disney Wish

Disney Believe

Disney Journey

Can’t wait to try all three someday

Imagination is my clear favorite.

Disney Imagination

Disney Wish

Disney Star

I like Imagination, too. But my son said it’s too long? Lol. It’s going to be interesting to see the names.

I like Imagination, too. But my son said it’s too long? Lol. It’s going to be interesting to see the names.

They could always go with Disney Imagine ;)

Imagination is my clear favorite.

Sounds like another Carnival duplicated name. Disney already has the Magic, Dream, and Fantasy, so what’s one more duplicated name?

I hope that Disney has enough “imagination” to come up with a name that hasn’t already been used in the cruise industry. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DCL obviously doesn't care about duplicated names...or else someone didn't do their homework before the big ones were named!

No matter what, I'll have no influence on the names, so why speculate? What I will predict is that there will be a name announcement for each ship individually with lots of hoopla and media coverage that amounts to free advertising. But this time we won't have Rachel kicking her little foot up.

When we went on DCL long time ago, they used to pull away from the dock with "When I wish upon a star..." on the horn.  Do they still do that?  I think they had other musical sounds before too.  If so, does that make "Disney Wish" a more unlikelier or likelier candidate for a name of one of the ships?

I was thinking that hopefully whatever name they pick would be something that Walt Disney himself has said as part of a focus, mission, or strength of the  Disney Company.  It would make sense using - Magic, Wonder, Dream, and Fantasy.  Interestingly enough, hasn't some of these been used in celebration year and/or parades/firework shows (Fantasmic might be stretching it, Disney Fantasy song for the holidays would be more applicable).

So my best guess:
1)  Believe
"When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable." - Walt Disney
2)  Wish
"When you wish Upon a Star" - Jiminy Cricket
3)  Imagination
"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." - Walt Disney
4)  Hope
Remember the theme of Rogue Squadron - "Hope"?  And it's not outwardly Star Wars either.
5)  Pearl
"Bring me that horizon" - Jack Sparrow