Worst Itinerary Change ever!!!

vikeqn

We have made our deposit for March 5th on the Mariner. This would be our 12 sailing with RCI. Our final payment is due Dec. 25 -tomorrow- and they changed the itinerary. Yes I know they can do that at any thime anywhere but this is aweful. They took away a day at Cococay and replaced it with a short little stop to San Juan. I have been to San Juan 5 times and even sailed out of there last year. The problem is they have us in San Juan from 4 pm to 11 pm. What a waste of a stop - I know there is nothing to do there except drink or eat after 4pm. So we leave the ship to have dinner? I don't think so. So now my cruise has 3 1/2 sea days. Only 2 real stops - St. Thomas and St. Martin.

Ya I know San Juan is fun to sail through. Been there done that, done the rum thing and the fort tour.

My point is they took away a day at a beautiful relaxing place and replaced it with a place with little to do after 4 pm.

Really want to cancel - my opinion is that cruise will have 4 days at sea for me cause I won't get off ship in San Juan- Even for me that is a bit much.

quitcherbeliachin

Our last cruise was changed from 5 nights, to 4 nights, to 3 nights, to 2 nights and a different ship with none of the original ports. Hurricane Wilma. We were just happy we got to go on a cruise at all.

I'm glad to see this post because I thought I was cracking up. I paid mine in full on Thursday, but had forgotten whether the stop was in Cococay or Nassau. Went to look late last night and, what's up with this? Then looked at the time the ship was in port also and was thinking the same thing you were. Fortunately I've only been to Puerto Rico once and we spent most of that time at the Forts. I've asked for second seating, so I figure we'll maybe hit some shops and go back to the ship early. I'd think they'll lose a bunch of money on excursions over this. But also, I don't really care about the change, but if they'd dropped St. Maarten I might try to get the cruise changed. I am just glad to be going.

A P

While I would disagree that this is the "worst change ever," It's definately not a good change IMO and aparently a pretty bad change for you. I agree that San Juan from 4 PM to 11 PM is idiotic when compared to Coco Cay.

If it were me and I wasn't going to be out the airfare, then I'd cancel the cruise and look for something better. If I was stuck with the airfare, I'd shop to see if there was anything leaving the same day that was more to my liking. If there was and it was affordable, I'd make the change.

I'd also be checking with the airline to see how much it would cost if I decided to cancel this trip and rebook something else later. Generally, there's a $100 fee per ticket to make those sort of changes. It might still be worth it since this cruise really has only two decent port stops for you.

We had a cruise scheduled for Feb. and cancelled it because of an itinerary change. They had dropped two ports we had never been to and added another day in DR, totalling 2.5 days there. We decided to cancel, knowing full well that they could change it back again. Well, they did reschedule back to the original itinerary. We're going to Disney World instead - that's ok, it's been 4 years since we were last there. Just realize that that if you do cancel, they may change it back again.

Robin

I understand, of course, that the cruiseline has the right to change any itinerary, at any time, for any reason.

That being said, RCCL doesn't market the cruises as "about 5 days, with a couple of stops someplace." They market the cruises as going to specific ports on a specific itinerary. If they make enough changes that people start to believe that the odds of going where the line says it will go are less than optimal, it will begin to affect their bottom line.

While "worst itinerary change ever" may have been an exaggeration, it is still disappointing, and informative to others that RCCL is making this kind of change.

Those really are not great hours to be in San Juan. When we sailed Serenade, after checking in we left the ship to go into Old San Juan for awhile. The forts were closing and there really was not much to do after 5pm but walk the streets. Being our first time there it was nice but there is much more available to do during the day.

I think that Mariner has always only made three stops on her Eastern route since she went into service. For us it was Nassua, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. I'm not sure what your options are if you have already bought your plane tickets.

There seem to be a lot of posts on here lately about itinerary changes. That may get some folks to think twice about becoming repeat cruisers. People here love to site the contract whenever someone complains. What do you all think about the part of the contract that says the cruise line makes no claim as to the sea worthiness of its ships?

Amazing how someone can always count on finding some sympathy around here when they are upset about something.:rolleyes:

We have made our deposit for March 5th on the Mariner. This would be our 12 sailing with RCI. Our final payment is due Dec. 25 -tomorrow- and they changed the itinerary. Yes I know they can do that at any thime anywhere but this is aweful.

We have had our whole cruise changed, ports changed, times changed and so on. Sure, I was really unhappy at times too. Your sentence above says it all though.

"Yes I know they can do that at any thime anywhere but this is aweful. "

We all know that it is the cruise lines right to do that. The knowledge we have after so many cruises is, that is the risk we take when booking.

No compensation, just a chance to vent, or change the cruise.

I stayed with the worst of the changes and had a great time anyway.

Hi vikeqn....Well, here is one cruiser that partially agrees with you. While it isn't the end of the world, it is a big disappointment. We also choose an itinerary, usually, because of the ports. Our Empress of/the Seas 11 night dropped St. Barths AND Greneda! Substituted Antigua, which was okay, but we've been there about 5 times, so just shopped and went poolside. There is not much for one to do about it, but Grin and Bear it. Change if you are too upset, but no itinerary is for certain any more! Happy Sailing....Helen

The worst itinrary change ever - is and only is my opinion. For those of you who chose to cruise hurricane season my apologies to offending you.

No I have not bought airfare yet so I am not out that and my family insists on the Mariner and that is DS spring break. It is just dishearting when you go from a great beach day to a walking around shopping. Oh yes I am sure many many people have had worse. Goodness I didn't mean to imply it was end of the world I was just venting.

I have spent many of hours on this board helping people and donot deserve to be told to quit my belly aching- Thanks Denb.

I was looking for understanding of my frustration. After 12 cruises I am certinaly capable to rebooking - I am just frustrated. Top off my frustration when I called customer service to question the change they told me that there was no room on the dock at Cococay. I informed them the Cococay was a tender port and she said no it is not we dock there.

Am I going to cancel ? Prob not I will just chill - I was just really really looking forward to Cococay. I love beach days. I live for them.

Top off my frustration when I called customer service to question the change they told me that there was no room on the dock at Cococay. I informed them the Cococay was a tender port and she said no it is not we dock there.

I'm not sure if I think that is funny or sad. Whether we are talking cruises, electronics, cars, or anything else, it really annoys me when I know more than the so called "experts" who are there to "help". Land based customer service is one area where RCI really needs to do some work.

And for the folks who tell you to just suck it up and deal with it, when they are on their next cruise and RCI doesn't enforce any formal night dress code they should also just suck it up and deal with it instead of coming back here and b!tching about it. Just as RCI has the right to change itineraries the company also has the right to not enforce anything that they choose not to. Some folks around here only understand something when it impacts them.

I'm with you vikeqn. I'm a new guy here, but some folks could stand some sensitivity training. Or at least take another cruise and mellow out. If you do stay with the March 5 cruise, maybe we'll see you there.

Ocean Boy - I like the point about the company not guaranteeing the seaworthiness of the ships. Good one :p . But then again, a little scary. :eek: .

Really want to cancel - my opinion is that cruise will have 4 days at sea for me cause I won't get off ship in San Juan- Even for me that is a bit much.

So cancel. It is not the worst itinerary change ever. I would not like it either but at least they told you before final payment. They could have changed it after. They did not change it just to screw with you. They had a reason for it. They don't just change the itinerary on a whim.

By the way I have never been to Coco Cay because when it was on the itinerary the water was too rough to tender. Yes, it was a bummer but it did not ruin the cruise. And having been on Mariner a few weeks ago, that is a great ship with plenty to do on board. It is a destination in itself. I stayed on the ship at Ochos Rios because I have been there plenty of times and don't care for it as it is now as a port. The ports on any itinerary are a mixed bag.

Well for what it's worth, I would not cancell a vacation on the Mariner of the Seas. That ship is so fabulous and chocked full of things to do, a vacation would be perfect aboard the Mariner if their were no ports of call at all. You will find plenty of relaxing spots on deck, at the spa or at pool side. And if you want activities, they are virtually endless on that ship.

Get off in San Juan, take a cab to a relaxing resort beach and enjoy a glass of wine or your favorite rum drink. Or go back to Morro Castle and just park it on that grassy knoll or walk to the roof top and take in the amazing view. I would find that far more relaxing than the wall to wall chaise lounges at Coco Cay.

Chances are, the waters at Co Co Cay will have under currents or be too cold to enjoy much swimming. The weather their can be hit and mis like Florida that time of year so basking on a warm beach would be hit and miss anyway. At least in San Juan the weather will be warmer. Just enjoy. Life is what you make it no matter what ports you visit.

That is the main reason I do not like eastern caribbean that much. I have been to Puerto Rico 3 times and never liked it once. I stay on the ship. I will tell you that going to maegan's bay and the beaches in st marteen make up for a sucky stop at puerto rico...

Have fun and cruise.. everything else will fall into place

Co Co Cay is a "Cay" or a Key which means no large docks. It's a tender port and is subject to conditions to be able to tender. It' s just one of those "nothing to do" but hang on the beach Islands. Food for the picnic is brought off the ship (same stuff you could eat on the ship deck buffets), and water can be cool except for the summer and early fall.

Amazing how someone can always count on finding some sympathy around here when they are upset about something.:rolleyes:

I disagree.......... However, in this case the style of the post far outweighed its intent. By your post count you've been on this forum long enough to know that a "Drama Queen" type of statement -- e.g., "Worst Itinerary Change ever", will hardly ever elicit any sympathetic responses. In fact, expect just the reverse…………..

Archived