The differences between cruisers from different countries

Velvetwater

I have an acquaintance who eats his pizza with his hands. He surrounds it with his forearms, picks up big pieces, folds them up, jams them into his mouth, and chews vigorously. He doesn’t actually growl when he does this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he did one day. I go to some effort never to sit across the table from him. Give me the knife and fork pizza eaters any day! :D

Ewwwww....well he just sounds like a slob. Lol....I think most people eat pizza with their hands...BUT NOT LIKE THAT!!!! :o

Don’t know Anyone that eats Pizza or Chips ;p with their hands. Would be the height of bad manners.

Oh and since we are on this thread Americans don’t know how to use their Indoor voices, have an obsession with Rick Steves and are far far more casually dressed. :);)

I really love and look forward to cruising with people from all parts of the world ... but have to admit after longer cruises it's nice to be home where I don't have to listen carefully to understand what is being said. :rolleyes::D

I always SMH when I see someone eating pizza with a knife and fork. (no matter what the nationality)

Even when they are Italian? ;)

When I was in Naples, most Neapolitans were eating their pizza with knife and fork. I figure they ought to know -- they invented it.

Edited by cruisemom42

Oh and since we are on this thread Americans don’t know how to use their Indoor voices, have an obsession with Rick Steves and are far far more casually dressed. :);)

I'm American. I use my Indoor voice, and I don't know who Rick Steves is. I will 'fess up to being in the very casually dressed group, but my clothes are always clean (I launder everything after just one wearing) with no holes, missing buttons, etc. And I always coordinate tops to bottoms, and help DH do the same.

Generalizations, generally, don't pertain to everybody, and I tend to judge (I actually don't care for that word) individuals by their own actions, rather than lump them into a group judgement. Must be an American thing.

I really love and look forward to cruising with people from all parts of the world ... but have to admit after longer cruises it's nice to be home where I don't have to listen carefully to understand what is being said. :rolleyes::D

I am SO happy to see you 'say' this. I LOVED the Med. cruise in 2013. But by the time we headed home, I was tired deciphering accents. Everyone really did speak english beautifully, it was my hearing that was lacking.

A slice folded in half. The only way to eat pizza.

You can only do that with a crappy, soggy pizza base. Eat proper pizza in Italy and the base is thin and crispy, as it should be. It is possible to eat with your hands but not possible to fold.

Even when they are Italian? ;)

When I was in Naples, most Neapolitans were eating their pizza with knife and fork. I figure they ought to know -- they invented it.

In the US a large proportion of the pizzas are eaten at pizzerias - where knives and forks are generally not provided - many, in fact- are sold by the slice and eaten standing up, virtually mandating the fold-it-in- half-and-eat-it- lengthwise approach.

Manners should generally adapt to the practical. Common sense indicates that some things are made to be eaten with the hands.

Some British relatives of my (somewhat Ameticanized) brother in law eat corn on the cob with knife and fork - reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George got others to eat candy bars with knife and fork.

What is SMH? And my dad's 2nd wife made me eat bacon with a knife and fork. Know that is awkward. It just crumbles into tiny pieces!

That is because you guys over the pond cremate bacon and ruin it (stands by for incoming).:rolleyes:

What is SMH? And my dad's 2nd wife made me eat bacon with a knife and fork. Know that is awkward. It just crumbles into tiny pieces!

Then she was way overcooking that bacon! There should be no problem cutting and stabbing a properly cooked piece of bacon.

Back to the pizza- at home we use our hands to eat a slice of pizza, unless it's just too floppy or hot. But in most of Italy, a whole pizza is served uncut. And it's always thin crust. You have to use a fork and knife to cut it. And you'll likely want to use your utensils to eat it until it cools enough to not burn your hands. On my first trip to Naples, I noticed that many people started out eating the pizza from the middle with their fork and knife, then as the pie cooled they would cut the remainder into slices and then used their hands. When in Rome..... (or Naples).

That is because you guys over the pond cremate bacon and ruin it (stands by for incoming).:rolleyes:

No incoming from me. I agree with you 100%. I don't like floppy, undercooked bacon, but I don't like it burnt to a crisp either. Sadly, most rest. can't get it right. Or over medium eggs either! :D

As far as the use of hands versus a knife and a fork, on a cruise, I ALWAYS use utensils because of my desire to NOT get sick!

So, you eat your morning bagel or your dinner roll with a knife and fork? LMAO. I prefer to use a bit of hand sanitizer after I sit down, and before I begin eating.

If bacon doesn't crumble, it isn't cooked enough. Ditto fries (or chips) - if I can eat then with a fork, they aren't crisp enough for my liking. Pizza is total hand food -- fold it and eat, especially when at a ball game or concert.

Having said that, when out and about I do use my utensils instead of my hands if it is at all practical.

If bacon doesn't crumble' date=' it isn't cooked enough. Pizza is total hand food -- fold it and eat, especially when at a ball game o.[/quote']

No that is cremated butchered bacon :)

Urgh No if you can fold Pizza with your hands it’s NOT Pizza!!

And what’s a ball game :loudcry:;p

No that is cremated butchered bacon :)

Urgh No if you can fold Pizza with your hands it’s NOT Pizza!!

And what’s a ball game :loudcry:;p

LOL

You guys have very nice ham with your breakfasts, but that is not bacon.:p:p

Baseball is my ball game of choice. Or soccer (your football). I don't understand our football at all.

Born in NYC and raised there until 12, then spent my entire career either living in, or commuting to, Manhattan — I agree . Of course time rather than miles is the only rational way to discuss getting from A to B in that context.

But the mileage won’t change. The time can be affected by weather, traffic, flat tires, etc. the electronic signs on our highways (Florida) show mileage and time and the time can be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL

You guys have very nice ham with your breakfasts' date=' but that is not bacon.:p:p

Baseball is my ball game of choice. Or soccer (your football). I don't understand our football at all.[/quote']

Warm Ham ROLF :) :)

And yes I do understand Baseball actually just whisper it Much better than cricket :o And being a Transatlantic brat I understand Both football codes :')

Warm Ham ROLF :) :)

And yes I do understand Baseball actually just whisper it Much better than cricket :o And being a Transatlantic brat I understand Both football codes :')

Both football codes???

I think there are few more than just two.