Cliffs of Moher similar to giant causeway?

elaine5

Not similar at all, in my opinion, but both spectacular places. Cliffs of Moher are very impressive from the top (weather permitting!) because of their size and black dramatic color, whilst the giant Causeway is a very special geological formation (basalt columns which seem carved by a human hand), you have to look at closer. In my memory, Giant Causeway was less walkable than Cliffs of Moher. I think nobody can tell you which one to pick, but there are a lot of pictures on the web and you'll be able to choose the one you prefer. Sorry, probably a CC member from Ireland would give you better advices, but, as I visited both places (a long time ago!) and nobody answered you, I just tried to help, even if I'm not the best person to do.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

than you. we decided (for now) that the ride to Moher is just to long for us (family with teens). Also, there appears to be a hiking path at Causeway and maybe we can go up Shepards Steps for a view? From the web photos there are cliffs at/seen from Causeway? We would have 1.45 hours at the Causeway.

Edited by elaine5

Yes I think there is, as I said, my last visit was years ago, and I don't remember exactly how the path was. I know the site has been improved for visitors and is certainly easier to access now. You won't be disappointed because the scenery is gorgeous. Hope more recent visitors will answer your questions. Have a good trip!

We visited the Cliffs of Moher several years ago while on a land trip to Ireland. We visited the Giant's Causeway in 2016 during a port call in Belfast.

While opinions about scenery are as subjective as opinions about food, I found the Cliffs of Moher much more scenic. My husband is a geologist so he found the Giant's Causeway (GC) interesting from a geologic perspective but I didn't find them as dramatic as the Cliffs. There is a nice GC visitor's center at the top of the walk down to the GC and a shuttle for those who feel they can't walk either down or back up the slope.

Anything depends on where you'll stay in Ireland, and if you're on a cruise or a land trip. It's totally impossible to go from Belfast to Cliffs of Moher if Belfast is your cruise port of call for one day : it will take about 4/5 hours one way (distance by road is about 300 miles ). From Dublin, it's closer (166 miles one way) but you'll have to cross Ireland from East coast to West coast. The distance between Belfast and Giant Causeway is 60 miles. Your choice will depend on place,time and distance.

I have been wondering about the Cliffs of Moher as well. Are they worth the drive from Belfast? I would only consider this if we choose the overnight in Dublin.

Sorry I meant from Dublin. I know its too far from Belfast. That's why I would only consider it if we choose the overnight in Dublin.

If we could not take a cliffs of Moher excursion, would the giant causeway out of Belfast give us similar scenery? We really want to see some dramatic cliffs on our BI cruise.

If you had pick one-which?

I have been to both while on land vacations. It took me four separate trips before I actually saw the Cliffs. The other three times they were shrouded in fog. They are impressive and I was glad I finally got to view them.

I visited the Giant's Causeway on the sunsets day I have ever had in six trips to Ireland. I am sure that affects my perspective. The formations are unlike others I have visited. I found it fascinating.