Excursion sold out, what do I do?

gram4haley

I waited too long to book a particular excursion I wanted. It is no longer available on the website. The excursion is for the last day.

Is there a possibility that an excursion could have some slots open up when we are on the ship?

Do they hold back some slots for the excursions so they can sell on the ship?

Any thoughts or suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

I am not sure if they save any. I would suggest that you go the your Port of Call on this board. Check to see if any private companies do a similar excursion. Get recommendations from CC members. Then book. This can not only save you money, but sometimes those private companies offer less congested excursions, or better experiences since they cater to their clents! Good luck and have fun.

Is there a possibility that an excursion could have some slots open up when we are on the ship?
Possible.
Do they hold back some slots for the excursions so they can sell on the ship?
Perhaps, but not sure. One would hope that Carnival realizes that not the entire cruise passenger universe has online access.
Any thoughts or suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Keep checking back, but formulate a Plan B, just in case. The previously posted suggestion regarding finding an alternate excursion vendor isn't bad either.

There are often people who pre-book several tours but make a final decision once on-board & cancel. So as soon as you get on-board go to the tour desk & go on a wait list. (I know Princess allowed you to go on a wait list on-line but I don't know if Carnival does.)

In the meantime if you can't find a private tour group doing the tour then by all means make a second choice & book it now.

I would recommend that you go to the port of call forum and research independent tours. We did not book a single Carnival excursion this time and saved a ton of money. We also had smaller groups and more personalized attention. Just be sure that the excursion time fits the time you are in port.

If you are looking at a tender port, allow additional time to get off the ship to begin your excursion. Happy cruising!

Don't fret just yet. The same thing happened to me when I went on-line to pre-book a tour. It told me they were sold out.

So, being one who doesn't give up easily, I immediately called Carnival directly....and guess what??? Not only was the representative able to get me eight (yes 8) tickets for the excursion, he also told me that the on-line booking wasn't usually correct.....

So....... call now and see if it really is available.......... and good luck.....

Carnival does not put all the excursions on the web. Not everyone has computer access to book excursions. They only sell a limited amount online So i think you will be fine once you get onboard. But head to the excursion desk as soon as its open.

I was trying to book something for our last day in Miami and for Costa Maya which was a substitution for Cozemel. According to the gentlemen I spoke with Carnival does not allow you to book the home port excursions until you are on the ship, nor do they allow you to book substitution ports before you are on the ship.

Thanks to everyone for the advise.

I am interested in the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins, but I think I should do the ship's cruise because (1) DH isn't interested in it so I am going solo and (2) since it is one of the longer excursion's I don't want to be stressing about getting back in time.

I am interested in the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins, but I think I should do the ship's cruise because (1) DH isn't interested in it so I am going solo and (2) since it is one of the longer excursion's I don't want to be stressing about getting back in time.

Here's one you might check out:

http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com/ChacchobenMayanRuins.htm

Maybe you could check the roll call for your cruise and see what other CCers are doing that day - I am sure you can find someone there also interested in doing the ruins with an independant tour guide.

CC link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=230956

Archived