Are You Amped About Sky Princess 2019?

need2cruisesoon

I booked the 'Inaugural Getaway' on the Sky. New bride has never cruised so I didn't want to start her on a 7+ day cruise. I've never sailed on a Royal class ship so it's a great sampler for me, too. I had to book a PH just to get a useable balcony. I miss the older ships.

Some new renderings have been released:

Sky Suite balcony: extensive and private outdoor space at the top of the ship; the perfect spot to relax and enjoy Movies Under the Stars or to entertain family and friends

skyprincesskysuitebalcony.jpg

The main Pool area:

skyprincesspooldeck.jpg

The enhanced Sanctuary

skyprincesssanctuary.jpg

Edited by dides

I'll be the bathrooms in these suites have plenty of room for the biggest of persons.

Some new renderings have been released:

Sky Suite balcony: extensive and private outdoor space at the top of the ship; the perfect spot to relax and enjoy Movies Under the Stars or to entertain family and friends

skyprincesskysuitebalcony.jpg

Yep, the huge Horizon Court Buffet was very nice...makes the other Princess buffets pale in comparison.

And the Outrigger Bar behind the Horizon Court is fantastic - large, mostly covered, lots of seating, views along 3 sides, etc.

I don’t like the Royal, so I probable won’t like the new ship. Bring back the Grand Class ship. Narrow balconies, no side exits from the theater, an incomprehensible Horizon Court... The list goes on...

We did Royal for our first Princess cruise and thought the Horizon court once we learned how to get around it, to be the best buffet with more choices than we have ever seen.

While I was vocal about my dislikes on the Royal, I realized that the Grand/Crown class of ships, and the Pacific aren't getting any younger. Heck, the Emerald which is the first Princess ship I sailed on is 11 years old. In the coming years, many of our favorite ships will be gone to other lines and well have to get use to the Royal class of ships. It would be nice though to see Princess come out with a brand new design. Thing with that though is we wouldn't see anything till probably 2024 or 2025 at the earliest......

Bob

Pretty much where I come out on this. As with the other Royal Class ships, it all depends on the itinerary. We sailed on Royal on a port-intensive Greek Islands cruise and were satisfied with the ship. Off the ship early almost every day. Back just in time for dinner. One sea day. So the things that were "missing" (like large a large balcony for our Mini-Suite, a real Promenade, Skywalkers and multiple pools to choose from) were minor annoyances with the pool issue only impacting one day. The improved buffet was a plus, as was the larger IC, Alfredos and Gelato area. But I could hardly see myself doing a 10 day Caribbean cruise with 5 or more sea days on this build.

I do find it interesting (and I am going to pat myself on the back here) that some of the odd design choices that I despised when I first saw Royal's deck plan have been banished to the scrap heap. I complained (perhaps too loudly) about the silly Sky Walk areas, the use of pool space for a fountain show, and the lack of an aft pool. Seems like somebody figured out that those were curious choices, to say the least. So in that respect, Sky Princess is somewhat of a step in the right direction. Not thrilled about adding 100+ more passengers or the disappearance of Crooners. Excited? No. Resigned to the future of the fleet? I suppose. Again, on a port-intensive itinerary, I'd have no problem with this ship. In the tropics with lots of sea days? I'd try to book something else.

Anybody else thinking that everone’s gripes about no more Crooners made Princess listen; hence the teaser about the new “Themed Bar?” Any guesses where it might be?.....:):):)

Bob

Some have speculated that could be where Club 6 is located on the Royal & Regal. Current deck plans show that space as only “Bar/Lounge” on the Sky. By replacing the mostly empty Club 6 with Crooners on the Sky it could be a better utilized bar. Being just outside of the Princess Theater could result in more people at a Crooners than at a Club 6. Maybe a place to enjoy a drink & piano music before or after a show.

I’ve read posts from fans of Crooners who are unhappy with the noise from Piazza activities which makes it difficult to fully enjoy the piano player. Moving Crooners to the Club 6 space would eliminate that problem.

Also the Princess email I received today provided a link to updated Sky information. The French Bistro on the deck plans in the Crooners space is not listed as a specialty restaurant which seems odd to not promote a new specialty restaurant. :confused:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Some have speculated that could be where Club 6 is located on the Royal & Regal. Current deck plans show that space as only “Bar/Lounge” on the Sky. By replacing the mostly empty Club 6 with Crooners on the Sky it could be a better utilized bar. Being just outside of the Princess Theater could result in more people at a Crooners than at a Club 6. Maybe a place to enjoy a drink & piano music before or after a show.

I’ve read posts from fans of Crooners who are unhappy with the noise from Piazza activities which makes it difficult to fully enjoy the piano player. Moving Crooners to the Club 6 space would eliminate that problem.

Also the Princess email I received today provided a link to updated Sky information. The French Bistro on the deck plans in the Crooners space is not listed as a specialty restaurant which seems odd to not promote a new specialty restaurant. :confused:

Frank;

Is it the same link that others have mentioned previously?

Bob

Frank;

Is it the same link that others have mentioned previously?

Bob

Bob...it was from this link I received today by email to updated Princess information about the Sky:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/yp-sky-princess/?cid=brand_email_info_internal_announcement_other_pe8ms080_180730_&eccn=&rrid=175884308A&mi_u=175884308A

All I had to hear was World Fresh Marketplace...no thanks.

That appears to be the new name for the Horizon Court buffet on new & refurbished ships so I’m not concerned about it being anything more than a name change. I’ve read posts from dissatisfied passengers about the WFM on the Caribbean but that buffet area is much more limited than on Royal-class ships.

This description from the Sky’s WFM looks interesting to me but it might be the same as currently available on Royal-class ship’s buffets.

The World Fresh Marketplace boasts food stations from around the world that offer endless variety, regional favorites and customizable options for every palate. The new “East Meets West” street food specialty counter features comfort foods like French crepes, Asian noodles, German grilled sausages and Japanese satays to name just a few!“.

Thank you sir for the info. I got the same email on Friday. I was hoping you had some insider information.....:D:D:D

Bob

That appears to be the new name for the Horizon Court buffet on new & refurbished ships so I’m not concerned about it being anything more than a name change. I’ve read posts from dissatisfied passengers about the WFM on the Caribbean but that buffet area is much more limited than on Royal-class ships.

This description from the Sky’s WFM looks interesting to me but it might be the same as currently available on Royal-class ship’s buffets.

The World Fresh Marketplace boasts food stations from around the world that offer endless variety, regional favorites and customizable options for every palate. The new “East Meets West” street food specialty counter features comfort foods like French crepes, Asian noodles, German grilled sausages and Japanese satays to name just a few!“.

AstroFlyer, trust me....sounds good on paper. Just off the CB and it appears it's just another name for "cut the food budget by 1/10", or "let's see how low we can go and get away with it". Twenty five Princess cruises later and we've never seen anything like it. Regarding the Sky, the pool area looks much nicer and more open. The atrium/piazza looks very pretty too.

AstroFlyer, trust me....sounds good on paper. Just off the CB and it appears it's just another name for "cut the food budget by 1/10", or "let's see how low we can go and get away with it". Twenty five Princess cruises later and we've never seen anything like it. Regarding the Sky, the pool area looks much nicer and more open. The atrium/piazza looks very pretty too.

I trust you & have read more recent posts about buffets lacking quality & variety on some ships including the CB. That appears to be more like our RCCL buffet experiences where they had many ways to prepare the same meatballs, chicken & fish.

I haven’t read about that issue on the Regal & Royal which we sailed on an October 2017 TA. Obviously things could have deteriorated since then but hopefully not.

As has been posted by others, the Sky is evolving this class of ship...some changes are better (2 real midship pools, a true Wakeview Pool, eliminating the wind blown water fountains & the Skywalk) but some changes have upset some passengers such as replacing Crooners with La Mer French Bistro.

Love the Royal. Just booked the Sky for Feb 2020. Wish it was a 10 day but we are looking forward to sailing on her!

Janet

That's the only disappointing thing about the Sky's new season- only doing 7 days. :(

I suppose they want to have it available to as many people as possible at least for a year or so. :confused:

The large wake view pool looks great. Assuming it must replace the outside covered seating area behind the Horizon Court on Royal/Regal??

Also like the redesign of the main pools. If layout is to scale the two pools look quite large by cruise ship standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I looked at the Sky, and was very impressed by the pool deck, after being on the Regal, which was one of her short comings. I priced a cruise for Dec, 2019, and was pleasantly surprised by the price with the sip and sail deal. Refundable deposit as well. This was for a 7 day Caribbean.

Very happy with the pool area design, eliminating the raised area between the pools. The wake pool...hope it’s nice as it would be where I would spend my time. As for food, I must admit my impression overall on the Royal was poor. But that was a few years ago and am hoping Princess has improved. As for buffets...Princess seems to have cut the budget, but I found Holland America to be even more of a disapointment. Makes me wonder if Carmival Corp bean counters are the master minds. It pains me to say NCL’s new Bliss buffet selection, quality and taste makes other lines look poor. Who would think NCL would outshine Princess. Well hopefully the Sky will get me reenergized for cruising zprincess. This will make my 25th Princess cruise.....and am hoping for the best.