Are You Amped About Sky Princess 2019?

need2cruisesoon

Very happy with the pool area design, eliminating the raised area between the pools. The wake pool...hope it’s nice as it would be where I would spend my time. As for food, I must admit my impression overall on the Royal was poor. But that was a few years ago and am hoping Princess has improved. As for buffets...Princess seems to have cut the budget, but I found Holland America to be even more of a disapointment. Makes me wonder if Carmival Corp bean counters are the master minds. It pains me to say NCL’s new Bliss buffet selection, quality and taste makes other lines look poor. Who would think NCL would outshine Princess. Well hopefully the Sky will get me reenergized for cruising zprincess. This will make my 25th Princess cruise.....and am hoping for the best.

It also pains me to say that the buffet on the Celebrity Equinox was outstanding and made the food on the CB look real bad.

The main pool area and the aft wake view pool area look great in the renderings. I hope the real thing is similar. If so those would be a huge plus for us.

We'd miss Crooners - have to wait and see exactly what ends up being on the ship before we know if we'd be pleased with the results.

The fact that Princess' website shows " World Fresh Marketplace" as the buffet name make me very concerned.

We love the buffets on Royal & Regal. The selection and quality were great. We just cruised Caribbean Princess again after many years and were disappointed in the quality of the dinner offerings at World Fresh Marketplace. When I spoke to the chef staff (senior staff were at buffet one night inspecting and asking us for passenger opinions) they indicated it was an experiment by Princess and they were constantly making changes trying to figure out what would work best. I suggested a return to dinner quality foods at dinner would be preferred to the lower quality lunch type fare offered on CB at dinner.

I'll wait to hear reviews and see photos of the buffet at dinner before I decide if I'm excited to sail Sky or not. Having a dinner quality buffet for casual quality evening dining is VERY important to us. If we want to stay dressed down we want a place to eat a decent dinner.

• Like 1

1353904a3f84ed3bb7d2fab24701f8bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Praying this area isn’t blighted by having a smoking area adjacent to it like there is on the Regal. No point redesigning things to look like this (‘Infinity Pool-esque’ :hearteyes:) then ruining it for the majority of passengers with the smell of smoke. Perhaps we should all start a campaign and email Princess like we did with Crooners?

Does any one else have a Sky Suite booked? I have one for a mid December Caribbean cruise. I’m hoping to see a video of the room and deck from someone sailing before me.

I hope you will come back with a full review!

I hope you will come back with a full review!

Yes I will. But I’m really hoping some one from the earlier cruises will as well. I’m not real excited about the itinerary however this Sky Suite looks so amazing I want to try it. I booked early and then got a Sip and Sail recently added. While not cheap, IMHO it’s a fair price given the size, configuration and location of the suite & balcony.

Yes I will. But I’m really hoping some one from the earlier cruises will as well. I’m not real excited about the itinerary however this Sky Suite looks so amazing I want to try it. I booked early and then got a Sip and Sail recently added. While not cheap, IMHO it’s a fair price given the size, configuration and location of the suite & balcony.

Really looking forward to it!

I'd love to book the new Sky Suite. Just love the huge balcony & view of pool/movie screen.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Those suites do look sweet. However...I have to believe that 95% of the noise from the pool/MUTS area carries up to those suites, so it would be difficult to get any peace and quiet while outside on the balcony. The bandstand that they set up for afternoon music would most likely be directly below you on Sun Deck. (It is possible that it could be above the Seaview Bar on Sun Deck, but 1) not sure that is much better; and 2) that would put the band just below the MUTS screen. Seems more likely that live music would be opposite of MUTS.) And at night, there are parties to contend with, and MUTS typically runs until midnight or even a bit after. Those suites had better be well sound-proofed. Or you better be a hearty partier to book one.

The website provides the following as a "feature" of the suites: "Complementing the exquisitely appointed interior living spaces, a luxuriously furnished 700-square-foot balcony – the largest at sea – invites you to relax privately or host your own celebrations or catered events." If I were CEO for a day, I would repurpose these suites as Private Event Space that guests could book (in advance) by the day. I can easily see groups, families, wedding parties, CC Meet and Greets, and all sorts of others shelling out big bucks by the day to reserve these rooms for the day like a luxury box at a ball game. Guaranteed lounge chair access without chair hogs. Catered food. Private bar tender. Outdoor TV. Unobstructed MUTS viewing. Private bathroom(s). Air conditioned indoor space to cool off in. Can't you imagine 10-15 people banding together to pay $200-$250 per person for such a space for the day? The revenue generated by daily rentals times the number of days of the cruise is probably more than the revenue generated by selling them as cabins. In the example I just gave, 15 people pooling their money at $250 per day would be $3750 per day. That's over $26,000 for a 7 day cruise. I could be wrong, but I bet that is more than the space will generate as a cabin.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Praying this area isn’t blighted by having a smoking area adjacent to it like there is on the Regal. No point redesigning things to look like this (‘Infinity Pool-esque’ :hearteyes:) then ruining it for the majority of passengers with the smell of smoke. Perhaps we should all start a campaign and email Princess like we did with Crooners?

I agree whole heartedly.:D

Mom33, Me too. We tried to use the small splash pool on the Regal once, as the wake views are beautiful. If the smokers were just in the area with tables under the overhang that would have been acceptable, but the smoking had spread and many in the loungers around the pool were also smoking. Somehow I don’t think that was the intent of the smoking area but there is no one to enforce it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Apart from the Royal and Regals more modern decor, the only improvement over the grand class ships is the buffet. Otherwise I cannot see what they have improved on The sky looks to be a step backwards from the Royal and Regal.

The track on Royal Class has been a HUGE upgrade to my cruising experience!

The track on Royal Class has been a HUGE upgrade to my cruising experience!

I would also argue that the Piazza on the Royal Class ships is an upgrade. Perhaps it is only due to the expanded size. But that in and of itself is a positive.

How noticeable was the smoke problem by the wakeview pool on the Regal?

Does any one else have a Sky Suite booked? I have one for a mid December Caribbean cruise. I’m hoping to see a video of the room and deck from someone sailing before me.

were you able to book that online, or did you have to go thru a TA or Princess?

Is there a minimum # of passengers to be able to book that SKY suite?

now looking at your post again - do you have one of the 2 ultra SKY suites, or just

'an ordinary suite'??;p

The Wakeview Pool area looks very good. There is another post about the Sky Princess with renderings of different areas,but not the aft pool area. The Sanctuary , in the rendering, has had considerable changes.

The comfortable loungers seem to be gone as well as shade.

If this is how the Sanctuary will truly be, then that would dissuade me from choosing the Sky Princess. That is,unless itineraries and pricing are enticing.

If I did choose the Sky, I would probably spend time at the Wakeview pool area where there are covered loungers and a wake view.

I would also argue that the Piazza on the Royal Class ships is an upgrade. Perhaps it is only due to the expanded size. But that in and of itself is a positive.

We certainly second that argument, the Piazza on the Royal and Regal is our favorite spot on the ship, as we can't spend a lot of time above deck. That's one reason why we are a bit down on the loss of Crooners on the Sky (for which we have two trips booked already). We prefer the airy openness of the big Piazza, and enjoy Crooners as it's a nice open bar area in the "middle of the action". We prefer it over Piazzas on the smaller ships like the Ruby or Crown. It's also one reason why we didn't care for the Piazza on the Caribbean Princess as its even smaller.

Still, Princess Piazzas are heads and shoulders above Celebrity's atria in our view. We found the central core on the Silhouette to be tiny and depressing, tall and narrow rather than wide and expansive. They even kept the main lighting turned off most of the day :confused:

Mom33, Me too. We tried to use the small splash pool on the Regal once, as the wake views are beautiful. If the smokers were just in the area with tables under the overhang that would have been acceptable, but the smoking had spread and many in the loungers around the pool were also smoking. Somehow I don’t think that was the intent of the smoking area but there is no one to enforce it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we were on the Regal last December, we decided to try the Sanctuary for the first time, as it's right by the Retreat Pool and no smoking is permitted in the area. We loved the comfortable loungers and service and the freedom of swimming right outside the Sanctuary and not having to look for the uncomfortable loungers.

We still enjoyed wake views from the Outrigger Bar and Promenade deck when needed.:D