So what do you think of the new MDR menu they have recently rolled out?

I understand the concern. I do not have food allergies but I have a friend whose child has had several near death experiences. You can never be too safe.

It won't kill her, but it will make her very nauseous and tired -- not exactly what you want on vacation.

I think they could have done better. I prefer the "spice" menus, and they did keep some of the menu items, but it was still much better than before. I do not like ordering dessert at the same time as appetizer and entree, because we never know if we are going to have dessert until after the main course. Oh well... I guess everything changes.

The menus in general are not bad and are mainly a comibation of the previous menus and dishes they had on the Quantum Class ships that offered "Dynamic Dining" at the time

Only thing that is really anoying is the fact that they take dessert orders at the begining when ordering the starters and main dishes. It gives a rushed feeling and depending how you feel after the main meal you might feel like ordering non or a different dessert. The cruise line introduced it to save time, however in reality it doesn't help the wait staff at all and just downgrades the dining atmosphere

New menus are on Adventure of the Seas. Biggest difference for me is they no longer have a separate list of the items that will be available every night. They still have some things every night but they are mixed in with everything else.

I don't mind ordering dessert at the beginning because I already know what I want.

The flour less chocolate cake is gone and also the scallop risotto. Be careful about ordering the jumbo tiger shrimp, they were split, and you get 3 of the tiniest shrimp you can barely scrap off the shell. Also do not order the tuna. 1/4 inch thick and way over cooked. They no longer offer the salmon and chicken as the usual stand bys each night. The chicken cordon bleu was very good though:D.

Just seems that there are less choices and dropping flourless chocolate didn't go over well with us as it was one of your favorites. I also used to love the cold soups.

I thought having dessert on the same menu would speed up dinner but it didn't seem like it did. With the cutbacks, it still felt like it took forever to take our entree plate away and then sat and waited for dessert and we had a very good waiter

:eek:

2 to 2.5 hours for dinner?:eek::eek::eek:Really? If there are just 2 people,does it still take that long? Can we speed them up a little? There will just be 2 of us at a 2 top,hopefully! We are doing MTD and I reserved a 6 pm time slot. We don,t want to miss the shows!:eek::eek:

Not to mention, with the cutbacks in service, it's more efficient to give the waiter your entire order at once as opposed to sitting around and waiting for him/her to take your dessert order. Perhaps some people like spending 2.5 hours at dinner, but it's not for me.

Completely agree with this. Sitting at the dinner table is not my favorite thing to do. I haven't seen the new menu - it wasn't on my latest cruise last month, but since we rarely eat dessert in the MDR (go to the DL instead), we will at least know what we are passing up! :)

Please tell me, though: do they still have French Onion Soup as a choice every night? I might have to jump overboard if they don't!

2 to 2.5 hours for dinner?:eek::eek::eek:Really? If there are just 2 people,does it still take that long? Can we speed them up a little? There will just be 2 of us at a 2 top,hopefully! We are doing MTD and I reserved a 6 pm time slot. We don,t want to miss the shows!:eek::eek:

I can't help but think that it depends on the size of your ship (not an expert on that, though.)

Our experience has been larger ship = slower dining room service (more people per waiter), and they have to maintain efficiency, so oftentimes, you are waiting on someone else to finish their part of the dinner before you can move on.

However on a smaller ship and especially with MTD, you might get much faster service. Our last cruise we were in and out in 45 minutes or less, but we don't eat dessert.

Grandeur has the new menus. Glad to see some new options as well as some old favorites. Last nights options included a chutcuterie and shrimp bisque for an appetizer. Some different desserts as well. Shrimp scampi was one of the new entrees. It was very good.

My main concern with this new, more restrictive menu is that there doesn't appear to be as many "allergy friendly" options as there were before. My daughter has Celiac, so gluten free is a necessity, not a choice. On several menus I've seen posted, the gf options are limited to 1 or 2 appetizers, 1 or 2 entrees, and ice cream for dessert. Also, while I know that she'll see the menu the night before, with the cutbacks in waitstaff, I don't know if they'll have the time to check which options might be able to be "tweaked" to make them safe for her to eat.

That would definitely be a concern. I sailed once with a young lady who had severe celiac issues, and she actually ended up bringing her own food, because on her previous cruise, the 'gluten free' menu - wasn't. The slightest amount of gluten would put her out of commission for 2-3 weeks, so that would be an easy way to ruin a cruise.

Just off Vision OTS with new menus.

Completely missed that you were on the Vision. Apparently they changed the menus within a very short time of our last Vision cruise. We debarked on Feb. 23.

So please do tell: French Onion Soup, still? Yes or no :-) ?

I do like the layout of the new menus (seeing dessert earlier on), but I don't like how they eliminate many choices (for example, on recent 4 night cruise, they didn't have a single cold soup, and they got rid of the 2nd vegetarian option of pasta primavera). However, my Head Waiter said they have a cold soup every night and you can still order the pasta, or the Indian food option (which was on the old old pre-spice menus), but you just have to know to ask. This is silly to me - why not just put a note on the regular menu that says "ask about cold soups and Indian options?"

I agree. What’s the point of having older options available but no one knows until they ask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So if you don’t order dessert when your place you appetiser/entree order does that mean you don’t get it. I agree with others, I don’t know if I fancy or have room for a desert at the start of a meal.

I agree. What’s the point of having older options available but no one knows until they ask.

I have been scouring all sorts of info places, but can't find an example of the new menu. I agree...they need to put all the options on the menu, or shut up. :-) I don't see this as helping the waiters, who already have enough to do.

In the past and even with the new menus if you calculate 1.5 hours for dining (My Time) including dessert you are fine. Depending on the wait staff, the day / occupancy level it can take up to 15 mins more or less but always under 2 hours and for the whole cruise the average of 1.5 hours is realistic +-

Here's my take on having dessert on the main menu and taking dessert orders with dinner orders: it cheapens the feel of the whole experience. It is like when there is Restaurant Week in NYC. Lots of restaurants participate in offering a price fixe menu for a reasonable price, even if they're a very expensive/fancy place. During this time, you are required to order your dessert with the dinner order. Because pretty much they don't want you lingering around a long time since you're not paying as much as other full price diners, and they are basically doing you a favor by offering you this cheaper menu so you can try this place maybe you would not have tried at full price. Who wants to feel like that on a cruise? There is no discount! Yet it is discount style service. Why do they think people will not notice this, or will not care? Perhaps it's a little thing to some people but all these little things add up and it's just a turn off.