Snorkeling West Bay

Guest 2000

The last West Bay thread the forum had no longer has pics, it is a fairly old thread.

Roatan, while it has heaps of reef some of it is difficult to access due to the distance from the shore or because the beaches are inside a resort. West Bay is one of the easiest to access reef snorkel spots on the island. West Bay beach is also the premier beach on the island.

This map shows the boat free reef snorkling between Infinity Bay's L shaped dock and the Wall. Along the beach toward the wall in this area are Infinity Bay (offers day passes) Tabyana ( cruise ship only excursion) and Grand Roatan (no day passes I know of). If you wish boat free, reef snorkeling steps from your lounger your best bets are Tabyana or Infinity (their day pass can be high and limited, best to contact them directly)

This is a link to a Trip Advisor thread with a recent video of snorkeling West Bay. There are several more on Utube.

With regard to transportation, there are two cruise ship ports on the island, one Mahogany Bay, belongs Carnival, it is a healthy 45 mins from West Bay and Coxen Hole which is about 20min from West Bay. Taxi on the island are not regulated, if are adventurous, are willing to take your chances walking out to the main road, enjoy hagging and know some Spanish you maybe be able to get a taxi to sort you for a lower price than you would closer to the port. If you choose the route make sure you arrange round-trip transport and pay upon the return.

Often times it makes more sense to hire a private driver from one of the local tour operators, the rates from Mahogany Bay range from 25pp to 30pp depending on how many in your party, I have seen the rate as low as 15pp but that was a group of 10.

You also have the option of a group transport either with a ship excursion or of the tour operators.

The option I like most is to connect several of the resorts on West Bay that offer transport included day pass option. Bananarama, Beachers, Mayan Princess, Foster's, and Infinity Bay, Paradise Beach Club, there may be others I am forgetting.

I hope this helps many in their planning.

• Like 3

Great information! Thank you!!

Which club has the largest beach, the clearest water and the least people?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sadly I have never measured property line to property line, it is possible Paradise Beach Club has more beachfront. Tabyana (cruise only excursion) has frontage and width. These are just guesses.

Water clarity is more about the weather or time of year than where on West Bay one is. I have seen West Bay crystal clear more often than not. It can be very muddy and yucky after a storm or heavy rain.

The number of people varies, one need remember only the Tabyana part of West Bay is daypass only, all the other spots are hotels as well. I can not tell you where the least number of people are on West Bay. If you are looking for quiet, choose another beach. :0)

We arrive early (8:00) Will spots to rent snorkeling gear be open by 9:00AM? On the West Bay, "free"beach, are there chairs to rent while husband is snorkeling?

I have my own snorkel gear, I am not a fan of using other people's toothbrush so you can bet I would not use a public snorkel in a third world county. My guess is dive shops will be open by 9am, they have to sort out their morning dives.

By what mode of transport are you going to arrive on West Bay Beach? The reason I ask is this paragraph from the original post: The option I like most is to connect several of the resorts on West Bay that offer transport included day pass option. Bananarama, Beachers, Mayan Princess, Foster's, and Infinity Bay, Paradise Beach Club, there may be others I am forgetting.

Just for giggles ~ THIS is the Bananarama live webcam. If you check it daily over the course of a week you may be able to pinpoint when they start setting of chairs, although if you pre-arrange a day pass and transport your worries are solved. Please understand no every day is a cruise day, some days are going to start much more slowly

The last West Bay thread the forum had no longer has pics, it is a fairly old thread.

Roatan, while it has heaps of reef some of it is difficult to access due to the distance from the shore or because the beaches are inside a resort. West Bay is one of the easiest to access reef snorkel spots on the island. West Bay beach is also the premier beach on the island.

This map shows the boat free reef snorkling between Infinity Bay's L shaped dock and the Wall. Along the beach toward the wall in this area are Infinity Bay (offers day passes) Tabyana ( cruise ship only excursion) and Grand Roatan (no day passes I know of). If you wish boat free, reef snorkeling steps from your lounger your best bets are Tabyana or Infinity (their day pass can be high and limited, best to contact them directly)

This is a link to a Trip Advisor thread with a recent video of snorkeling West Bay. There are several more on Utube.

With regard to transportation, there are two cruise ship ports on the island, one Mahogany Bay, belongs Carnival, it is a healthy 45 mins from West Bay and Coxen Hole which is about 20min from West Bay. Taxi on the island are not regulated, if are adventurous, are willing to take your chances walking out to the main road, enjoy hagging and know some Spanish you maybe be able to get a taxi to sort you for a lower price than you would closer to the port. If you choose the route make sure you arrange round-trip transport and pay upon the return.

Often times it makes more sense to hire a private driver from one of the local tour operators, the rates from Mahogany Bay range from 25pp to 30pp depending on how many in your party, I have seen the rate as low as 15pp but that was a group of 10.

You also have the option of a group transport either with a ship excursion or of the tour operators.

The option I like most is to connect several of the resorts on West Bay that offer transport included day pass option. Bananarama, Beachers, Mayan Princess, Foster's, and Infinity Bay, Paradise Beach Club, there may be others I am forgetting.

I hope this helps many in their planning.

Thank you for this information. Of the options you've listed, which place would you recommend? I have heard over and over that West Bay was beautiful....but not many details on the accommodations. Thank you!

Thank you for this information. Of the options you've listed, which place would you recommend? I have heard over and over that West Bay was beautiful....but not many details on the accommodations. Thank you!

Accommodations?? rooms??

All of the options I listed are links to their websites with pics and some with day pass options. There are pages of threads here with people talking about West Bay day passes. Additional, Trip Advisor has heaps of reviews on most of the hotels on the island. I recommend you have a click through the available information to see what best suits your needs.

I am happy to help but making a recommendation blind of your needs doesn't seem the best course. :)

I have my own snorkel gear, I am not a fan of using other people's toothbrush so you can bet I would not use a public snorkel in a third world county. My guess is dive shops will be open by 9am, they have to sort out their morning dives.

By what mode of transport are you going to arrive on West Bay Beach? The reason I ask is this paragraph from the original post: The option I like most is to connect several of the resorts on West Bay that offer transport included day pass option. Bananarama, Beachers, Mayan Princess, Foster's, and Infinity Bay, Paradise Beach Club, there may be others I am forgetting.

Just for giggles ~ THIS is the Bananarama live webcam. If you check it daily over the course of a week you may be able to pinpoint when they start setting of chairs, although if you pre-arrange a day pass and transport your worries are solved. Please understand no every day is a cruise day, some days are going to start much more slowly

Thanks for all the good info guest2000..

Do you happen to have this type of info for cozumel, Belize and grand Cayman as well?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Do you happen to have this type of info for cozumel, Belize and grand Cayman as well?

You are most welcome.

Sadly, I have not been to Cozumel, Belize or Grand Cayman. I did do Greenland last year by way of a cruise ship. That was an adventure!! They don't call it the land of the Midnight Sun for nothing.

My knowledge of Roatan is via land holidays, there was a time I was going down annually, staying up to 8 weeks.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the great information!:):D

You are most welcome.

Sadly, I have not been to Cozumel, Belize or Grand Cayman. I did do Greenland last year by way of a cruise ship. That was an adventure!! They don't call it the land of the Midnight Sun for nothing.

My knowledge of Roatan is via land holidays, there was a time I was going down annually, staying up to 8 weeks.

Thanks so much for the info on Roatan. We were there in July and Paradise was pretty crowded by lunch time when we arrived. We are looking to try Infinty since it is closer to the snorkeling reef.

I may be able to help with Cozumel.

Guest2000, thank you for your detailed post starter.

I am looking to go to a beach for the day and relax and snorkel, but reading on the internet I have found you have to pay to go on the beach? or pay for a day pass for a hotel, I'm new to this so any more info would be greatly appreciated. Looks like the taxi is quite pricey, is there not a bus?

I am looking to go to a beach for the day and relax and snorkel, but reading on the internet I have found you have to pay to go on the beach? or pay for a day pass for a hotel, I'm new to this so any more info would be greatly appreciated. Looks like the taxi is quite pricey, is there not a bus?

You are most welcome! It would seem you found a hole in my original infomation. Thank you for pointing out the oversight.

All the sand (beaches) on Roatan is free though often times one need to pay for access through a resort. Fantasy Island is a good example. West Bay Beach and Half Moon Bay Beach both have public access and snorkeling from shore, one need not pay a day pass to play in the sand as long as you stay off what the resorts consider their property. Those things which are payable are lounger, potties, food and beverages.

The above means if you wish to just sit on the sand with no access to potties or lounger, sure try that. Access to Half Moon Bay is easy due to its location in the village of West End. Public access to West Bay Beach need be had either by way of road between Bananarama and Paradise Beach Club or via water taxi from West End.

Taxi prices are not regulated, I find them to be high. If you pre-arrange round-trip transport you are far more likely to both depart and return to the ship in a timely manner. Prices are per person and would be a bit less to West End/West Bay if you are docking in Coxen Hole.

There is a bus system but of you are docking in Magohnay Bay it would take you far to long to get to West End. The minibus from Coxen Hole to West End starts near an open market in Coxen Hole which means you have to walk from the port into town. You can ask along the way were the bus to West End is.

If in fact, you are docking in Coxen Hole the trip would be something along the line of : walk into town (10min) Minibus once it departs 25min to West End. If you decide to go to West Bay catch a water taxi from the stand in the middle of town. Understand the minibus passengers are locals and you are visiting an island off the coast of a third world county. I have done this many times though not from a cruise ship but if you have a large group or children or are just not all that adventurous.. it may not be your better bet.

I have never dug through the tour operator websites, one of them may have a group shuttle to West End/West Bay.

One other thought, some people are eaten alive by the sand flies. Yes, they live in the sand. One may be more likely to be bothered if no longer is used. Take repellent.

Guest2000, thanks again for the info. You said earlier to arrange a "taxi round trip and pay on return", does this mean the taxi will take you one way without being paid until they collect you, and return you to the ship, and not until then you pay them?

Thanks for the sand fly info.

If you arrange round trip transportation with a private driver you bet they wait till you get back to the ship to get paid.

We do the West Bay Beach Break with Island Marketing. $33 pp and that includes our ride to/from, entrance into Bananarama, 2 drinks and our lounge chairs. Driver stays with you the entire time. Last time there were only 6 of us and we had a mini van. Snorkeling was really good, we are doing it again this time.

Hubby had lunch and if I remember right it was pretty reasonable. We really liked it there, that is why we are going back again with the same tour.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for such great information. I'm looking at what to do on my April 2019 cruise and this thread has been super helpful, now I just need to make a decision. Do I tour the island and get the culture or have the chance to snorkel out to the reef in clear water?

This is my first trip to the Caribbean and I want to ensure that I make the most of my time.

Having trouble is a Day Pass at infinity Beach... cannot see it on their web site... Any help?!?!

Cruise 2K... Great Overview of West Bay... THANKx

Infinity Bay is a resort on West Bay Beach.

Did you try emailing them? Or the 833 Toll Free number

Email reservations@infinitybay.com

1-833-588-4229 / (833) LUV-IBAY

Infinity Bay is a resort on West Bay Beach.

Did you try emailing them? Or the 833 Toll Free number

Email reservations@infinitybay.com

1-833-588-4229 / (833) LUV-IBAY

FINALLY..... the 833 number worked. $20 for beach day, chairs etc and one welcome drink. $65 all inclusive, all drinks and one lunch as well as beach etc.

K7 at port brings you there $15 round trip,

see Junior McKensey at front desk.

THANKx again Guest 2K

• Like 1

FINALLY..... the 833 number worked. $20 for beach day, chairs etc and one welcome drink. $65 all inclusive, all drinks and one lunch as well as beach etc.

K7 at port brings you there $15 round trip,

see Junior McKensey at front desk.

THANKx again Guest 2K

You are most welcome. yeah, islands off the coast off third world counties.. things don't work that same as in the north. :0)

Looks like Infinity is starting to be competitive in the day pass market. If they allow you to eat off the menus at the Beach Bar, good food!! If they make you go to the buffet where the AI people eat, maybe not so good. The transport is a very good price... per person? is there a sliding scale for number of persons? Don't be disappointed if they don't have your favorite adult beverage, yeah island off the coast of a third world country. :0)