When choosing cruises what are your priorities?

ilikeanswers

I don't know how you can avoid this, but the only cruise in over 45 years of sailing that made me uncomfortable was on a Vantage riverboat 4 years ago. Unbeknownst to us, it consisted of a large group of folks from a certain demographic area who enjoyed blasting the then-current president and his policies during mealtimes. When I finally blurted out (in a non-confrontational manner) that I really liked the man, the news must have spread fast: most of them subsequently avoided joining me and my husband at dinner.

Biggest factor is cost. Since I'm a solo traveler, I'm usually going to be paying a premium for two people, thus the inside cave. I'm also a shoulder season traveler because that's where the bargains are. I'm usually covering for folks who are vacationing with their families during the summertime. Payback is when they have to scramble when I want to take a vacation as part of my vacation. :)

Cruise length also plays a factor. The shortest cruise I have been on is a seven night cruise. I have to fly out to a port no matter what I do as cruises from San Francisco are fairly rare.

Itinerary also plays a factor. I would really like to go back to Acapulco, Mexico on a cruise, but alas, there are certain... security.... issues that have caused those port to be removed.

There are many factors that we look at for each trip. These factors include:

• price compared to our budget for this trip
  • itinerary
  • embarkation port (do we fly or drive)
  • ship size
  • the ship itself
  • cruise line (if we have FCC to use)
  • dates of cruise
  • length of cruise
  • who is coming with us (if anyone)

These factors have had different priority rankings for every vacation we have gone on....it all depends on what we want out of that particular vacation.

1. Itinerary - port arrival and departure times; time in port; multiple days in a port

2. Number of sea days - I hate sea days.

3. Ship size - I hate large ships which means to me any ship much bigger than 1000 souls.

4. Presence of anytime dining.

4. Date

DON