Cruise Critic Community
Host Sharon

P&O drinks prices and packages

On 4/19/2019 at 11:46 PM, Narrow boat girl said:

Question about soft drinks - just read that you cannot take plastic bottles of soft drinks\ water on board only cans is this correct?

You can bring coke onboard in plastic bottles or cans.I queried it with P and O when I read that and think it applies only to P and O Australia

We were on Britannia a few weeks ago and took bottles of coke on board without problems at several ports. Alcohol is somewhat different we saw many people having bottles taken off them on re-embarkation to be returned at the cruise end. 

Without trawling through previous pages are posh coffee's and bottled water included in the drinks package on Britannia ?

TA.

8 minutes ago, theartfulcodger said:

Without trawling through previous pages are posh coffee's and bottled water included in the drinks package on Britannia ?

TA.

No 

3 hours ago, Les_ldh said:

No 

Sorry that is not correct. If you have the full drinks package at £39.95 per day speciality coffees, soft drinks, cocktails etc are part of the price plus a kids package if you have children is "free"

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

Sorry that is not correct. If you have the full drinks package at £39.95 per day speciality coffees, soft drinks, cocktails etc are part of the price plus a kids package if you have children is "free"

‘My apologies, I should’ve been more specific. Drought soft drinks are included but cans and bottles are excluded although discounted 20%....

“In addition, the Ultimate drinks package provides a 20% discount on the following excluded items: ...... large bottles of water, canned or bottled premium soft drinks or juices and smoothies.”

Les

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, theartfulcodger said:

TA.

Costa coffee and 500 ml bottles of water are.

Edited by darrencolne

My wife like  to have a drink but I do not drink alcohol at all. If she wants to buy the ultimate drinks package does that means I have to buy one as well ?

As a non drinker I feel hard done to .

12 minutes ago, Callyscally said:

My wife like  to have a drink but I do not drink alcohol at all. If she wants to buy the ultimate drinks package does that means I have to buy one as well ?

I am sure there are lots of other couples in the same situation as you but unfortunately yes, you both have to take the ultimate drinks package.

22 minutes ago, Callyscally said:

Yes. In common with other cruise lines. This is to stop couples sharing the package.

16 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Yes. In common with other cruise lines. This is to stop couples sharing the package.

Thank you for your reply, I would have have liked to have the chance to buy  a non-alcholic package for myself .Is this not possible ?

Many thanks

John

Posted (edited)

All adults in the same cabin have to purchase the same package. 

Edited by FangedRose

I would suggest, that if you fancy a drink, you use your card and NOT take the package.  You may end up drinking more than you would like, in order to get your money’s worth.

Posted (edited)

On our recent 14 night Britannia cruise we had a bottle of wine every other evening in the restaurant, drinks during the day and evening when we wanted one and the bill still only came to around £500.00.

Compared to the package which would have cost over double that amount.

The other thing to consider is on port days you still have to buy drinks off the ship, we had nine port days out of 14.

TBH the ship’s drink prices weren’t too bad compared with some cruise lines, I’ve paid more in UK city centre pubs.

Edited by lexussteve2016

As a solo traveller for many years,  I find it better to ‘pay as you go’ and not take any package.   I would not drink speciality coffee anyway.    On port days, you may be off the ship and have a couple of drinks.  Having the drinks package means you still have the £40- to spend.  I love my red wine, but drinking   £40 per day is not responsible drinking, which, if you read the ‘blog’ from P and O is what they want to encourage.  I agree that the prices of drinks is reasonable but the package is too much.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lexussteve2016 said:

On our recent 14 night Britannia cruise we had a bottle of wine every other evening in the restaurant, drinks during the day and evening when we wanted one and the bill still only came to around £500.00.

Compared to the package which would have cost over double that amount.

The other thing to consider is on port days you still have to buy drinks off the ship, we had nine port days out of 14.

TBH the ship’s drink prices weren’t too bad compared with some cruise lines, I’ve paid more in UK city centre pubs.

Edited by caber

On 5/5/2019 at 1:18 PM, FangedRose said:

It does seem unfair that 2 packages have to be bought if only 1 person will take advantage of it. After all the daily limit P and O state is 15 drinks. So what does it matter who drinks them I ask ? Could be 15 for 1 person or 7 each and a half for 2 people of 5 each for 3. Still only up to the 15 drink limit.

One person consuming 15 drinks per day is not responsible drinking, which I understand is what P and O are encouraging.

5 minutes ago, mary heyworth said:

It does seem unfair that 2 packages have to be bought if only 1 person will take advantage of it. After all the daily limit P and O state is 15 drinks. So what does it matter who drinks them I ask ? Could be 15 for 1 person or 7 each and a half for 2 people of 5 each for 3. Still only up to the 15 drink limit.

It is 15 alcoholic drinks. You can have unlimited coffees and other drinks. 

10 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Why limit coffee and soft drinks?

They're not. That's why every adult in a cabin has to have the same package.

7 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

It is 15 alcoholic drinks. You can have unlimited coffees and other drinks. 

Yes thats right. The T and Cs say alcoholic drinks limited to 15 in 24 hours. So I suppose if you only bought 1 package and one person didnt drink alcohol then they could just take advantage of the other drinks allowed. So one could have 15 alcoholic drinks and the other any amount of non alcoholic ones. I can see now why P and O say that. Perhaps it would be better if they had one for just alcohol and one that didn't but thats not going to happen as they will assume perhaps that not that many would want 15 drinks of alcohol in a day.