Cruise Critic Community
Host Sharon

P&O drinks prices and packages

34 minutes ago, Mim Lloyd said:

We usually cruise with Royal Caribbean and always get the drinks package for free. We've booked our first P&O Caribbean cruise which didn't come with free drinks, but as we've got £450 free on-board credit we're just going to use that towards drinks. It will be interesting to see what our final bill will be, my husband reckons it will be less than us buying a drinks package.

RCCL free drinks packages!!! are paid for by your cruise price increased by £250pppw.

We are D+ and avoid the free!!! DP.

P&O now include tips in their price so that is an extra £200 to your £450 obc.

Drinks do not have a gratuity added so a pint of beer and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc comes to less than £11 around $14.

We have just got off P&O Ventura and 3 drinks a day each came to £26pd total for 2 of us.

They had a 10 beer package onboard for £41 or 20 beer package for £81 saving 15% off bar prices.

Graham

Edited by grapau27

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

RCCL free drinks packages!!! are paid for by your cruise price increased by £250pppw.

Drinks do not have a gratuity added so a pint of beer and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc comes to less than £11 around $14.

We have just got off P&O Ventura and 3 drinks a day each came to £26pd total for 2 of us.

They had a 10 beer package onboard for £41 or 20 beer package for £81 saving 15% off bar prices.

Graham

Agreed every RCI cruise I have had with so called Free DP, has increased by exactly the price of the DP, ok for us as we always get it but not for those who don't drink.

18 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Graham

Hello Grapau27.

May I enquire, did that beer package include all draught beers please?

22 hours ago, Lornaburg said:

I'd prefer a drinks package but it's too expensive.  Even the Viking full package is cheaper (£17 pp per day).  I don't think I could drink £40 worth a day. I mentioned it to P & O when I rang about something else and they said they were still experimenting with the price as it was a new concept for them.  I pointed out the price of the Viking package and she said she would pass it on to management. 

I would expect the Viking package to be cheaper due to the fact that drinks with meals are already factored into the cruise price.

25 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Hello Grapau27.

May I enquire, did that beer package include all draught beers please?

I was drinking pint cans of Old Speckled Hen costing £4.60 and only had a couple a day so didn't bother with the 10/20 beer package.

It just said 10 and 20 beer package in the Horizon newsletter and didn't specify any specifically except they claimed it was 15% cheaper than bar prices.

On Ventura they were using iPads to order drinks and they scanned our cards but didn't have to sign and you have to specifically ask for a receipt otherwise you wouldn't get a receipt.

The waiter said they have been trialling this for 3 months so far on Ventura in readiness for Iona.

Graham

Edited by grapau27

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I was drinking pint cans of Old Speckled Hen costing £4.60 and only had a couple a day so didn't bother with the 10/20 beer package.

It just said 10 and 20 beer package in the Horizon newsletter and didn't specify any specifically except they claimed it was 15% cheaper than bar prices.

On Ventura they were using iPads to order drinks and they scanned our cards but didn't have to sign and you have to specifically ask for a receipt otherwise you wouldn't get a receipt.

The waiter said they have been trialling this for 3 months so far on Ventura in readiness for Iona.

Graham

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'll give it a go for my sea day lunchtimes. 

16 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Your welcome.

5 minutes ago, Mim Lloyd said:

Is the beer package bottles or pint draught? Seems expensive if It's bottles.

It didn't specify, just said 10 beer package £41 and 20 beer £81 giving a 15% saving.

I was drinking 500ml cans of Old Speckled Hen which was about £4.60.

I threw away my receipts after confirming my bill was right.

On Ventura they use iPads when taking drink and food orders and if you don't ask for a receipt you don't get one which could mean mistakes on your bill.

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It didn't specify, just said 10 beer package £41 and 20 beer £81 giving a 15% saving.

I was drinking 500ml cans of Old Speckled Hen which was about £4.60.

I threw away my receipts after confirming my bill was right.

On Ventura they use iPads when taking drink and food orders and if you don't ask for a receipt you don't get one which could mean mistakes on your bill.

Unfortunately Graham it looks like they have recently increased the price of Old Speckled Hen.

I was paying £4.30 (£3.93 with my discount) per 500ml can on board Oceana in June.

Having said that, its only 0.30p.🍻

Edited by P-L-B

We were on board in May for 2 weeks first cruise so really didn't know what to do P&O had just introduced drinks package so we really didn't know what to do. 

We had purchased the wine package so we had a bottle each evening but we also had a bottle of procecco on a afternoon on sea days you have a book of vouchers and you can use them whenever and wherever you want to. We didn't scrimp with drinks so we had a mixture of coffee, cocktails, g&t  and other drinks and some for friends and our bill for two weeks was about £500 so much less than drinks package. Hope this helps. 

On 9/5/2019 at 11:49 PM, P-L-B said:

Unfortunately Graham it looks like they have recently increased the price of Old Speckled Hen.

I was paying £4.30 (£3.93 with my discount) per 500ml can on board Oceana in June.

Having said that, its only 0.30p.🍻

Hi P-L-B

Just checked my bill and old Speckled Hen was £4.30 so no price increase from your cruise on Oceana in June.

Graham.

On 9/5/2019 at 6:16 PM, Mim Lloyd said:

Is the beer package bottles or pint draught? Seems expensive if It's bottles.

Just checked my bill.

500ml Old Speckled Hen can was £4.30.

Sauvignon Blanc was £6.45 a glass. 

Graham.

On 9/5/2019 at 5:56 PM, Solent Richard said:

Hi Solent Richard.

Checked my bill and Old Speckled Hen was £4.30 a 500ml can so not much saving on 10 beer package and probably works out a free can on the 20 beer package.

I realised earlier that I was comparing P&O prices to Wetherspoons prices where I've been the last few times I've been to a pub. Wethies are very cheap compared to other pubs and my husband says that P&O prices aren't too bad. RCI have massively increased their booze priced, probably to try and force passengers into buying drinks packages. Wish I could get a G&T on a ship for £2.99 like I can in Wetherspoons!! 

Edited by Mim Lloyd

19 hours ago, dazlight said:

£4.70 for peroni is great. 

Paid £6.50 in Liverpool Albert dock a few months back. 

Wow, I thought my local was dear at £5.20... 

That's where the draught offer becomes noticeable, getting Peroni down to about £4.. 

Not quite 'Spoons' prices, but still very good, considering they have a captive audience and could effectively charge what they like. 

Andy

55 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Wow, I thought my local was dear at £5.20... 

That's where the draught offer becomes noticeable, getting Peroni down to about £4.. 

Not quite 'Spoons' prices, but still very good, considering they have a captive audience and could effectively charge what they like. 

Andy

Shhh....don’t tell them that! 🤐 😆

I dont drink much beer... can I get a double vodka and orange on the DP ?

On another subject..Fever Tree is crap...over sweetened and driven bay a want and a need to drink what celebs are seen drinking.

Schwepps is lower in calorific value and tastes far better with any gin..(but there are plenty of other better tonics on the market lol)

7 minutes ago, GaznPaula said:

I dont drink much beer... can I get a double vodka and orange on the DP ?

On another subject..Fever Tree is crap...over sweetened and driven bay a want and a need to drink what celebs are seen drinking.

Schwepps is lower in calorific value and tastes far better with any gin..(but there are plenty of other better tonics on the market lol)

Drinks up to £6.95 are included, so if your double is more than that, then it won't be included. 

Disagree about fever tree 

Andy

It says a 50ml Smirnoff is £5.90 but cannot see the price for the orange juice.!  Just wondered if splash mixers where included

Noticed Double Dutch mixers on one menu... Thats more like it

We have recently returned from a 14 day cruise on Britannia and bought the full drinks package.  We found it great and were more than happy that we made the right choice.  We had £300 on board credit and also 5% loyalty discount so worked out as follows 39.95 x 2 x 14 = £1118.  Take off obc and loyalty discount and it worked out at £27.23 pppd.  

We were able to order specific brands which we enjoy- eg Grey Goose Vodka, Adnams Gin etc as they came to under £7 per glass as did having a large glass of wine (or two) with Dinner.   It also covered our soft drinks which we drank plenty of and drinks from Costa.  

There is a limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day but most people would not even come close to drinking that amount.  For us a couple of cocktails, a couple of soft drinks, a coffee, a couple of glasses of wine and a nightcap or two and we were quids in. 

We are on Ventura on 20 October .

Excuse me if this has been asked before. My wife is a total non drinker .

Is it possible for me to buy the drinks package on my own? ( wouldn't like to bring a doctors line to prove she can't drink though!)

6 minutes ago, scottie99 said:

We are on Ventura on 20 October .

Excuse me if this has been asked before. My wife is a total non drinker .

Is it possible for me to buy the drinks package on my own? ( wouldn't like to bring a doctors line to prove she can't drink though!)

No. All adult occupants must also have the package.