Cruise Critic Community
Host Sharon

P&O drinks prices and packages

Sounds like a bargain to me 14 day cruise including flights drinks transfers and gratuities for £1000?

Grats on p&O would be around £98 so that is half your drinks upgrade?

Sounds like a bargain to me 14 day cruise including flights drinks transfers and gratuities for £1000?

Grats on p&O would be around £98 so that is half your drinks upgrade?

Just to be factually correct unlike most other cruise lines gratuities are currently optional on P&O and have been the cause of many a heated debate in the forums.:cool:

As a man in his 40s I love a good drink on my cruise. However even I probably never spend over £30 in a day and that includes few beers and glass of wine and cocktail. I couldn't justify paying over that and would feel I'd be forced to drink more to get my money's worth. I'm very glad P&O are one of the few not to have the all inclusive packages and should stick to their guns. I've seen some terrible behaviour on other cruise lines usually involving the British of course who are trying to squeeze every last penny out their package. Yes you can go with other cruise companies but you'll pay a lot more up front for their cruises. P&O keep prices lower due to not having these packages included. I honestly cannot see many people taking them up on it knowing P&O crowd and be interested to see the feedback. I applaud them for trialling it however and if they did introduce it they could always keep it just to one or two ships only.

The only people who would come out on top with these packages are the company. Very few people can deprive them of a profit rather like cinemas who do as many films as you can see passes. Friends who have those haven't been in months but sounded good at the time.

I would much rather pay as I went along and P&O.prices are most reasonable unlike other companies.

As a man in his 40s I love a good drink on my cruise. However even I probably never spend over £30 in a day and that includes few beers and glass of wine and cocktail. I couldn't justify paying over that and would feel I'd be forced to drink more to get my money's worth. I'm very glad P&O are one of the few not to have the all inclusive packages and should stick to their guns. I've seen some terrible behaviour on other cruise lines usually involving the British of course who are trying to squeeze every last penny out their package. Yes you can go with other cruise companies but you'll pay a lot more up front for their cruises. P&O keep prices lower due to not having these packages included. I honestly cannot see many people taking them up on it knowing P&O crowd and be interested to see the feedback. I applaud them for trialling it however and if they did introduce it they could always keep it just to one or two ships only.

The only people who would come out on top with these packages are the company. Very few people can deprive them of a profit rather like cinemas who do as many films as you can see passes. Friends who have those haven't been in months but sounded good at the time.

I would much rather pay as I went along and P&O.prices are most reasonable unlike other companies.

Good post, thank you.

I looked back on our last cruise on Britannia and we drank plenty, creeped over £40 on a couple of sea days, but was way under on others. Happy to pay as we go.

Good post, thank you.

I looked back on our last cruise on Britannia and we drank plenty, creeped over £40 on a couple of sea days, but was way under on others. Happy to pay as we go.

Our sentiments and experience too.

We have been on numerous P&O cruises, and on 3 (Recent) RCCL.

The prices RCCL charge for their drinks are quite ridiculous, and without a drinks package would cost more than the cruise itself.

On the last cruise we had an offer of a package included in the price so it was not a problem, also with RCCL there is not the option to take on board 2 litres of spirit for cabin consumption, unless you want to risk smuggling it on.

On P&O we have found the drinks prices to be comparable to what we would pay in local pubs in the UK, and even a bottle of champagne served chilled in your own bucket in Charlies on Aurora is £39.95!! quite astounding value really.

Add to this the fact that when booking early (As we like to pick our cabin location on the ship) we have always had £400-£500 on board credit included in the price, which is fair few G and t's per day.

And as for the typical crowd on RCCL, we found that on the last 2 cruises on Oasis, there have been loads of completely legless guests "Enjoying " their drinks packages to the utmost.

So I personally am glad that P&O have avoided following all the others, and steered clear of the All inclusive package.

Hi. Thanks. I am not sure I understand. I thought P&O only allowed two bottles on initial boarding?

What annoys me about this gesture is the amount per person per week of cruise.

The allowance is one litre of spirit for a one week cruise and the exact same amount for a 6 week cruise.

I find that unfair.

Wow bearing in mind how reasonable the bar prices are £39.95 pppd Is steep and they are taking RCCL idea that all adults in the cabin must take it.

That is an awesome number of drinks between you to even break even.

I wonder if they will have a £ limit per drink too like RC.

I read its limited to 15 drinks.

I read its limited to 15 drinks.

15 alcoholic drinks. The package contains non-alcoholic drinks too. Even so I still won't be anywhere near £40 a day.

Wow bearing in mind how reasonable the bar prices are £39.95 pppd Is steep .

That thinking is using current P&O Bar prices?

Usually Bar prices are increased to make the package price appear a bargain?:rolleyes:

Usually Bar prices are increased to make the package price appear a bargain?:rolleyes:

Any alien visiting planet earth and trying to understand human culture will think, reading this thread, that alcohol is vital to our existence!

The package also includes non alcoholic beverages as well, though you wouldn't think so reading this.

Any alien visiting planet earth and trying to understand human culture will think, reading this thread, that alcohol is vital to our existence!

The package also includes non alcoholic beverages as well, though you wouldn't think so reading this.

When cruising, alcohol is vital to my existence, or at least enjoyment...

Although I hardly drink at home?

When the alien comes, I will buy him a pina colada...

I dont see how your post relates to mine - please delete the quote.

It does relate because you referred to bar prices. Anyway it's too late edit button has gone.

They will do what they can to make more profit and hopefully they will not make it all inclusive.

If the drinks package is included in the price the cruise price will increase for everyone and in RC case when they offer free drinks promotions it is usually paid for by an increase of around £500 per couple per week.

Lots of exceptions on there!!

Wonder what they mean by premium canned and bottled soft drinks? and 15 drinks a day max!!

Still not sure we could drink £80 a day every day, whilst steering through the minefield of exclusions!!

Will stick to PAYG esp when we normally get between £350-450 OBC as well.

I am not opposed to the introduction of drinks packages. It is quite easy to add up roughly how much you spend on extras and calculate whether it is viable to take the package.

Our main expenditure is on bottles of wine so the package is not for us. The package gives a 20% reduction on bottled wines so we would need to get through about 10 bottles a day to break even!

The point that has been alluded to which is a concern is whether P & O will raise bar prices as an enticement to take the package. Only time will tell.

Hi this is what I just received from p and o still not a firm yes or no and Sep now gome

Thank you for your email.

We have not received any information that states that these will not be available on your cruise, however, as this is only a trial. it may be removed at any time.

Is it just me but I now can't see any thing on P and O website about the drinks package.
Maybe they have decided against it after the trial.