Cruise Critic Community
Host Sharon

P&O drinks prices and packages

Im going on a Princess cruise Monday and their drinks package is an eye watering £51 a day!

Im going on a Princess cruise Monday and their drinks package is an eye watering £51 a day!

Even more ridiculous! Although I have to say that when we've had a package included (Celebrity), it makes life a lot simpler!

Cunard is even dearer than that so it makes P&O resonable value it all depends on your normal consumption of drinks during a normal day its not just about alcohol.

Cunard is even dearer than that so it makes P&O resonable value it all depends on your normal consumption of drinks during a normal day its not just about alcohol.

I don't think we'd go up to the amount of the package. We don't drink soft drinks, occasional beer for my husband at lunchtime. Wine in the evening and sometimes a Tia Maria or something. I assume water, coffee and tea are available all day? Never been on P & O before so not sure of the routine. As we're on for 30 days, I don't think we'll be drinking everyday.....it will call for some discipline on our part!

This drinks package is much cheaper than Royal.I sailed with P&O for the first time earlier this month on the Britannia and loved it.Have done 12 cruises with Royal might be time to jump ship so they say.

It might be cheaper than other lines, but we would come nowhere near that price!  We don't drink at lunchtime, don't do soft drinks and have a drink before dinner, wine with the meal.  Per person, I reckon we spend say £14 or less a day.

22 hours ago, Shocked91 said:

This drinks package is much cheaper than Royal.I sailed with P&O for the first time earlier this month on the Britannia and loved it.Have done 12 cruises with Royal might be time to jump ship so they say.

The drinks on Royal are much more expensive than P&O, it would depend on your tipple. 

Have just heard P and O alcolholic drinks package will cost £39.99 per day.  No sharing. Are they having a laugh.   Who is going to drink that much in one day.

6 minutes ago, CHAMON said:

Have just heard P and O alcolholic drinks package will cost £39.99 per day.  No sharing. Are they having a laugh.   Who is going to drink that much in one day.

If you read previous posts it has always been that price. That's the price it was trialled at.

Has P&O taken notice of the current GBR iniative on CHILDRENS' HEALTH by only including in The Children's Package sugar reduced drinks?

It is to be hoped that P&O does not follow their practice of virtually ignoring such health iniatives as it does by actively promoting the sale of tobacco products.

I know being on a cruise is meant to be fun and relaxation, but I don't like the breezy way P and O (and other cruise lines I suppose) encourage the drinking of alcohol. You know - have a "cheeky glass - or two! titter titter" and that kind of mindless advertising patter. I know we would get nowhere drinking £40 of alcohol a day each; much better for our health and pockets to have the occasional glass or tot.

And £10 a day for specialty coffees? 

I'm glad they have done this, they are doing catch-up with all the other cruise lines. £40 a day is reasonable, its not just booze, its soft drinks, mocktails, coffees and juices. I can get my moneys worth quite easily without being drunk as some people are suggesting. On my last Princess cruise I got the same package for £51 a day, the £  to the $ made it dearer than it used to be.

I welcome it.

juices and smoothies are NOT included in the Ultimate package and have to be purchased separately.

We would almost double our on-board spend if we took the package. The 'soft' drink package would work out well for me but not if we both have to take it as OH rarely drinks more than 1 coke, or cup of tea, a day. 

@Tom Baker, I think the info we got today said that smoothies and juices are included in the Ultimate package.

15 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

We would almost double our on-board spend if we took the package. The 'soft' drink package would work out well for me but not if we both have to take it as OH rarely drinks more than 1 coke, or cup of tea, a day. 

@Tom Baker, I think the info we got today said that smoothies and juices are included in the Ultimate package.

P and O Terms 

1. Exclusions and Limitations

• The Ultimate drinks package excludes any drinks retailing above £6.95, all bottles of wine, large bottles of water (750ml/1.5L), canned or bottled premium soft drinks or juices and smoothies.

44 minutes ago, CCFC said:

I'm glad they have done this, they are doing catch-up with all the other cruise lines. £40 a day is reasonable, its not just booze, its soft drinks, mocktails, coffees and juices. I can get my moneys worth quite easily without being drunk as some people are suggesting. On my last Princess cruise I got the same package for £51 a day, the £  to the $ made it dearer than it used to be.

I welcome it.

T&Cs say juices and smoothies not includes.

And saying 'don't forget it is soft drinks etc too' just makes it even worse value. Those drinks are cheaper and drinks are usually drunk in lieu of other drinks, in in addition to.

And on that topic the soft drinks package is outrageous. If you're a soft drink drinker you need to be drinking over 10 a day. You'd spend more time in the toilet than elsewhere with that watered down fountain rubbish.

1 hour ago, sailawaysteve said:

P and O Terms 

1. Exclusions and Limitations

• The Ultimate drinks package excludes any drinks retailing above £6.95, all bottles of wine, large bottles of water (750ml/1.5L), canned or bottled premium soft drinks or juices and smoothies.

I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, bobhosk said:

And on that topic the soft drinks package is outrageous. If you're a soft drink drinker you need to be drinking over 10 a day. You'd spend more time in the toilet than elsewhere with that watered down fountain rubbish.

Not to mention the diabetes impact

It would be interesting to see how many take the package.  £80 per day per couple is a huge sum of money.  Or do you think some people don't actually work it?

Edited by jeanlyon

Sorry Slugsta was looking for the current way of buying coffee card the one you gave me a link to is the new one which does not come into affect until end of march. 

Gary 

1 hour ago, gazzas127 said:

Sorry Slugsta was looking for the current way of buying coffee card the one you gave me a link to is the new one which does not come into affect until end of march. 

Gary 

Ah, sorry :classic_blush: 

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

It would be interesting to see how many take the package.  £80 per day per couple is a huge sum of money.  Or do you think some people don't actually work it?

I agree especially when it is every day and you might be off the ship on port days too.