Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Host Sharon

P&O drinks prices and packages

Recommended Posts

On 2/15/2019 at 12:31 PM, lofty64 said:

We're on the 99 day world cruise in 2020.....that's £7,920! (+ wine)

 

....that's a no go from me then !

 

 

 

In the interests of empirical research, I think you should take the package and then make sure you have your full quota of 15 alcoholic drinks each & every day.  Then, if you are still alive after 99 days of drinking then we will know it is not harmful to your health 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Britboys said:

 

In the interests of empirical research, I think you should take the package and then make sure you have your full quota of 15 alcoholic drinks each & every day.  Then, if you are still alive after 99 days of drinking then we will know it is not harmful to your health 😁

 

you fund it mate and i'll give it a right good go!😵....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, lofty64 said:

 

you fund it mate and i'll give it a right good go!😵....

 

I am happy to consider that.  Looks like even sailing solo, it would pay for three cruises for me.  Considered and the answer is no :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect there will be half price drinks packages soon as bait for bookings.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, we are booked on our first cruise on the ventura in august. There'll be hubby and I, 9 year old son and mum-in-law. We aren't big drinkers so the all inclusive drinks package would be a waste of money but we are trying to figure out which way of doing things would work out best. We would only be drinking a couple of glasses of wine with our evening meal amd perhaps a few drinks later if we were watching a show etc. Does anyone have experience of the enomatic wine system and if so, is this maybe better so we can pre purchase and not be landed with a huge bill at he end of the cruise. Also, our son only normally drinks squash and has fizzy drinks only now and again but we are wondering whetted or not it's worth getting a kid's drink package so he can get a drink as and when he pleases but £8 a day works out a lot of money for a week. Are there places he can fill up a bottle with water around the ship and in kids club?  

Edited by MrandMrsCoz
Bad typos using phone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ataraxia said:

I expect there will be half price drinks packages soon as bait for bookings.

 

More likely to be "free drinks packages" for certain grades of staterooms and higher cruise prices to cover it similar to Celebrity. So people falsely think it is "free" when it isnt as you have paid for it in increase of cruise fare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 9:04 PM, MrandMrsCoz said:

Hi, we are booked on our first cruise on the ventura in august. There'll be hubby and I, 9 year old son and mum-in-law. We aren't big drinkers so the all inclusive drinks package would be a waste of money but we are trying to figure out which way of doing things would work out best. We would only be drinking a couple of glasses of wine with our evening meal amd perhaps a few drinks later if we were watching a show etc. Does anyone have experience of the enomatic wine system and if so, is this maybe better so we can pre purchase and not be landed with a huge bill at he end of the cruise. Also, our son only normally drinks squash and has fizzy drinks only now and again but we are wondering whetted or not it's worth getting a kid's drink package so he can get a drink as and when he pleases but £8 a day works out a lot of money for a week. Are there places he can fill up a bottle with water around the ship and in kids club?  

He can get glasses of chilled water from the buffet at any time, or the pool bars. P&O ask passengers not to fill up water bottles from the buffet for hygiene reasons. He could also fill up his water bottle in your cabin - it's all the same water.  IMHO the kid's drinks package is not worth it, as it only covers a choice of 3 or 4 fizzy drinks, not fruit juices or anything else and is not much of a saving on pay as you go. My children don't drink fizz either. We take a bottle or two of squash on board with us and use that for them to have drinks in the cabin or in their drinks bottles. It's easy to buy extra supplies in port if needed.

 

The enomatic system on Ventura would help you budget as you  load up a wine card, so if you can stick to your limit that's fine, but it's only available in the Glass House and buffet, so I don't think that would help you if you're in an MDR or a lounge after dinner. I think it's possible to check your account on the TV on Ventura, so that would help you gauge what you are spending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, groovechick said:

He can get glasses of chilled water from the buffet at any time, or the pool bars. P&O ask passengers not to fill up water bottles from the buffet for hygiene reasons. He could also fill up his water bottle in your cabin - it's all the same water.  IMHO the kid's drinks package is not worth it, as it only covers a choice of 3 or 4 fizzy drinks, not fruit juices or anything else and is not much of a saving on pay as you go. My children don't drink fizz either. We take a bottle or two of squash on board with us and use that for them to have drinks in the cabin or in their drinks bottles. It's easy to buy extra supplies in port if needed.

 

The enomatic system on Ventura would help you budget as you  load up a wine card, so if you can stick to your limit that's fine, but it's only available in the Glass House and buffet, so I don't think that would help you if you're in an MDR or a lounge after dinner. I think it's possible to check your account on the TV on Ventura, so that would help you gauge what you are spending.

Sorry it is no longer possible to check your account on the TV but you can simply go down to reception and ask for a print out of your spending so far. We did this on a daily basis and it helped us track our spending.

 

Peter and Jenny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zombatar said:

Sorry it is no longer possible to check your account on the TV but you can simply go down to reception and ask for a print out of your spending so far. We did this on a daily basis and it helped us track our spending.

 

Peter and Jenny

Thanks Zombatar,

I've never sailed on Ventura, but I was assuming it's the same as on Azura as they're sister ships. Does that mean it's no longer available on Azura too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Zombatar said:

Sorry it is no longer possible to check your account on the TV but you can simply go down to reception and ask for a print out of your spending so far. We did this on a daily basis and it helped us track our spending.

 

Peter and Jenny

I keep all my receipts and with a pen and paper record them manually when on Ventura.

On Royal Caribbean you can view your bills etc on interactive TV on your stateroom TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Who is likely to spend most over, say a fourteen night cruise, persons who have almost instant access to their spending, or those who have to trudge down to Reception and queue up to find out?

If your thinking is like mine, then perhaps it it is the same as P&O!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joro44 said:

'Who is likely to spend most over, say a fourteen night cruise, persons who have almost instant access to their spending, or those who have to trudge down to Reception and queue up to find out?

If your thinking is like mine, then perhaps it it is the same as P&O!

Makes no difference to me, I only go down twice to check that there isn't anything charged that shouldn't be. I'm on holiday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found my bill for a 12night Ventura 2018 cruise earlier today. Spent £471 on all drinks for two adults & two teens including a 12 bottle wine package. Not big drinkers but spent what we wanted with no restrictions or budget and included coffees, soft drinks and mocktails as well as alcoholic drinks. Until P&O reduce their price for the package I will certainly be avoiding it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To Tom Baker,

i agree, the amount they are charging is far too high.  Getting your money’s worth would not be what P & O are calling responsible drinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CHAMON said:

To Tom Baker,

i agree, the amount they are charging is far too high.  Getting your money’s worth would not be what P & O are calling responsible drinking.

I have been trying to find out if its worth our while to buy a package. We have bought them on cruises other than p and o and the terms and conditions are more or less the same. The difference being that drinks are cheaper on p and o than on the American cruiselines so made the package more economical. We usually share a bottle of wine at dinner, occasionally a drink at lunchtime if on the ship of course, one before dinner and one or two later in the evening. So not excessive I dont think ! We have been on several p and o cruises and previously bought the wine package so I thought I would compare the price now of both the wine package and other drinks prices to get an idea. Well what do you know? I couldnt check which wines were in the wine packages which I have always been able to do in the past. There is a discount of around 15% if you buy in advance but why would I buy one without seeing the choice of wines ? Also although I could find a very comprehensive list of what is available fom the bars along with many, many bottled wine choices, now there are no prices displayed ! So I couldnt make a comparison on the value of either the wine or full drinks package. We rang p and o to ask if we had missed something but was told our information was correct. For some reason which he couldnt explain we could buy a wine package before we travel but not a drinks package ? Im not sure whats going on. We have 2 cruises booked one short and one very long so it would be nice to know what p an o know !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was trying to have what I thought was a reasonable discussion as to the merits of buying a drinks package/wine package along the lines of others who had posted previously.

I certainly don't consider it is up to me or anyone else for that matter to comment on what people should  or should not do with regards to drinking alcohol or anything else whilst enjoying their holiday !

If I may add if I require/want medical or health advice I am perfectly capable of giving it to myself having been "in the business" so to speak for 51 years !

As you quite rightly say some could easily put away 30 units and if they chose to do that who are we to comment.? Not me for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not being critical of anybody..  however, I am critical of P & O as their reasoning behind stopping us taking more than 1ltr.of alcolhol on board was to encourage ‘responsible’ drinking.  Their drinks package rather defeats their.objective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I would suggest that you read back from the start and then judge what is excessive. I guess that some folks on here could easily put away 30 units a day and not bat an eyelid or consider their drinking excessive. 7 units a day is teatotal for some.

Thank you very much Tom Baker I was beginning to think I had a problem but according to you and a few more comments we are not beyond hope yet ! We were going to give our usual Friday early evening glass of wine a miss but I think we are ok for now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mary heyworth said:

Thank you very much Tom Baker I was beginning to think I had a problem but according to you and a few more comments we are not beyond hope yet ! We were going to give our usual Friday early evening glass of wine a miss but I think we are ok for now

Have one for me, and don't worry what anyone else thinks or says, especially on here. Have a great weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CHAMON said:

I am not being critical of anybody..  however, I am critical of P & O as their reasoning behind stopping us taking more than 1ltr.of alcolhol on board was to encourage ‘responsible’ drinking.  Their drinks package rather defeats their.objective.

That's what they say, what they mean is they don't want people taking lots of drink onboard and not spending in the bars. I can see their point but on our recent Caribbean and USA cruise on Ventura they were not putting much effort into taking bottles of spirits off of you as you boarded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodness me I was only asking about value for money not a medical review of folks drinking habits.When on your holidays it is allowed to let your hair down a little. You do have choices throughout life and if you want to have a jolly good drink on your holidays that is perfectly acceptable. Should you choose not to drink then that is your choice.I do not think that these forums are places to comment on things like that....... So just chill and enjoy your holiday in your way. That is what my husband and I will do. But on occasion we do have one over the " so called allowed units" but hey let's all live a little so by warned if your in cabin? We might be rowdy one night ha ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mary heyworth said:

Thank you very much Tom Baker I was beginning to think I had a problem but according to you and a few more comments we are not beyond hope yet ! We were going to give our usual Friday early evening glass of wine a miss but I think we are ok for now

 

Don't worry at all the replies on here always centre round the package (and its value) as if its just alcoholic drinks.Previously on another thread I tried to show a potential break down of costs for myself that demonstrate a coffee habit, lots of soft drinks, 6-7 alcoholic ones and the reassurance of a known amount of money to allocate makes it a yes from me. All anyone commented on as the alcoholic element. Go and enjoy your holiday ignore the sort of comments that have no place here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We plan to buy the package on our Britannia cruise in April. 

 

£39.95 x 2 = £79.90 x 13 = £1038.70

- obc £270 = £768.70 

£384.35 for 2 = £29.56 pppd

 

For us this would be good value - cocktail round pool/beer with lunch/ 2 drinks before dinner/2 with dinner/1/2after dinner/water/soft drinks/coffee

 

of course you don’t have to use obc but I choose to offset the cost of the package this way. I pay for speciality restaurants/trips in advance so apart from what I buy in the shop it’s mostly on drink

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 4:52 PM, CHAMON said:

I am not being critical of anybody..  however, I am critical of P & O as their reasoning behind stopping us taking more than 1ltr.of alcolhol on board was to encourage ‘responsible’ drinking.  Their drinks package rather defeats their.objective.

I think it’s more likely to be the cabin quaffers kicking off rather than those buying a package - can’t imagine those knocking back litres of spirits in their cabin before coming out are much fun to be around!  I don’t go on holiday to sit in my cabin getting sloshed on the cheap - so for me it’s a no brainer - not for everyone I accept but let’s not use the old chestnut of packages bringing ‘standards’ down - think they’re already on the decline and it’s nothing to do with drink packages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...