Cruise Critic Community
Host Sharon

P&O drinks prices and packages

2 hours ago, ozzysdad said:

On board Ventura currently and the prices are as follows,

Peroni (pint) £4.75

Bottled beer ranges from £3.25 to £4.25

Wine ranges from £3.95 upto £5.25 for a 125ml glass.

G & T is generally £3.25 to £3.95 with tonics from £1.35 to £2.15 depending on preference.

Cocktails are generally £5.75 to £6.75.

They also stock quite an extensive range of British beers and ciders ranging from £3.95 to £4.75.

If you want anything more specific I'm happy to post it for you.

You're an absolute star! Thank you so much for this. Enjoy your holiday!!

36 minutes ago, oleb84 said:

So for absolute clarity on this...

Drinks packages can only be booked onboard on day 1.

I've spoken to my travel agent and they can't book it. And I've down to the people on the end of the phone number advertised in the Little Luxuries section. They have both said the same thing. 

I find it really strange that they aren't capturing the people who have made a decision before they sail but I guess it's brand new to them so they are still ironing out the teething problems.

You can also book the drinks package on day 2 before midnight.

We were on the drinks package trial on Azura in August 2018, and we just went into Brodies on the second morning and sorted it with the bar staff.

It was available on day 1 from various table around the ship, but decided with the time we finally boarded, unpacked, muster drill etc., we felt would not get value from the package on the first day.  And after totalling up the receipts for day 1, we had made the right choice.

3 hours ago, ozzysdad said:

Peroni (pint) £4.75

G & T is generally £3.25 to £3.95 with tonics from £1.35 to £2.15 depending on preference.

They also stock quite an extensive range of British beers and ciders ranging from £3.95 to £4.75.

Hi what are the costa coffee prices like. JD and coke? Thanks

3 hours ago, ozzysdad said:

Peroni (pint) £4.75

Thanks for posting the information.

For the benefit of those that have not cruised with P&O before those prices are very reasonable compared to some other cruise lines so do the maths before committing to the package.

If the maths show that the package would work for you then that's fine.😊

Interesting to see that prices are still the same.  I thought the package might put them up.  We will still PAYG.  £39 a day per person is just ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Interesting to see that prices are still the same.  I thought the package might put them up.  We will still PAYG.  £39 a day per person is just ridiculous.

Depends on the person. 

Me personally;

I would drink a beer or 2 and a cocktail at lunch time. Couple of beers before dinner, glass of wine or 2 during dinner and a couple of guns after dinner. I wouldn't say that's excessive.

Plus throw in speciality coffee and bottled water and that would cost another £6/7. 

Even the Mrs, who drinks drastically less than me would make the most of the non alcoholic mocktails. And the coffee and water.

Even if it ends up costing a little bit more, I would actually accept that just for the piece of mind that I know what my bill is going to be at the end. I don't want to be thinking during my holiday that I can or can't have another beer coz I'm over budget. 

Our bill at the end of a 19 night cruise is not even half of that price.  Also we like to have a bottle of wine on the table and that's not even included!

question for those that buy the wine packages

if you get the case of wine delivered to your room do you just take the bottle to he restaurant of your choice?  can they be taken to the bars? 

thanks

19 hours ago, darrencolne said:

Hi what are the costa coffee prices like. JD and coke? Thanks

Costa coffee is £2.50 to £3.20 a time.

JD is £3.75 for 25ml or £6.25 a double, coke is sold at £1.45  a dash or £2.85 for the classic 330ml bottle.

2 hours ago, ozzysdad said:

Costa coffee is £2.50 to £3.20 a time.

JD is £3.75 for 25ml or £6.25 a double, coke is sold at £1.45  a dash or £2.85 for the classic 330ml bottle.

Thank you. This helps us alot in making tbe decision on drinks package. For us its a yes.

Same here, speciality coffee and bottled water actually make the difference. 

22 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Our bill at the end of a 19 night cruise is not even half of that price.  Also we like to have a bottle of wine on the table and that's not even included!

You are allowed a glass of your chosen wine at the table and I think I am right that as long as you wait 15 minutes it can be topped up as often as you like. They just don't bring the full bottle to the table. I'm assuming this is how it works as the T and Cs look identical to other cruise companies. We have had packages on the American ships as the drinks are more expensive so worked out better value on them. Not so sure with this though as drinks cheaper of course depending how much you wish to drink. However, it has been different depending on which ship we were on. Sometimes the wine waiter was quite happy to bring the bottle and leave it on the table, others came regularly to ask if we wanted a top up. On one ship the wine waiter avoided us like the plague when we were trying to catch his eye for another glass ! So, does it depend on the wine waiter or the cruise company? Not sure we wait and see ! We for our next cruise in June will buy the wine package in advance and then other drinks as we go along.

Kath

because you can put your OBC towards it i will defo be getting it

I just think it's over-complicated. What you can have, what you can't have...

10 hours ago, quby33 said:

I just think it's over-complicated. What you can have, what you can't have...

I'd say it's a pretty simple formula, anything under £7, no doubles and no more than one drink every 15 minutes would sit perfectly fine with most guests who take the package, it's not like there is a whole raft of drinks outside of the limit. Having looked through the drinks menus the limit would allow you to purchase all the cocktails bar the champagne based ones, 90% of spirits and wines and probably all beers, ciders and craft ales, add to that your coffees, soft drinks and water then it definitely should be considered.

It will suit a lot of people I'm sure. Not for us as we rarely drink during the day but like a G&T before dinner and a bottle of wine with dinner. Occasionally have a Tia Maria or something after. Also we never drink cocktails or more than one coffee a day.  

If we book with P&O again in the future I'll have to sit down and work out what we spend. We had a lot of onboard credit last time so didn't need any packages. It will be interesting to hear feedback from people who have opted for the package. 

On 2/12/2019 at 11:19 PM, Daddyglove said:

I am thinking of buying the package but just want to ask

Me and my daughter like the costa frozen fruit drinks which are available to buy at the pool bar

Are these included in either the ultimate drinks package or the kids package or both

Thanks for any help

Are these available at the pool bar on all ships? I'm on the Azura next then the Ventura.

I'd also like to know if these are available on the non-alcoholic package?

I have seen (on internet) that the average number of drinks people take per day is 4.7  (its an American site and I assume that they are only looking at alcoholic drinks).  If that figure is correct then the P&O package does seem steep!

6 hours ago, Narrow boat girl said:

Question about soft drinks - just read that you cannot take plastic bottles of soft drinks\ water on board only cans is this correct?

Never had a problem taking plastic on board, only this week I purchased coke and water onshore and had no problem taking it on board.

Just back from a 21 night cruise on Oceana. 

We drank what we wanted including a bottle of wine with our evening meal and sometimes one at lunchtime also 😉

This cruise had a lot of sea days.

We took on board a bottle of spirit each to enjoy when getting ready in the evening.

Overall our drinks bill worked out at £60 per day between the two of us. No specialty coffees though, just alcohol based drinks.

26 minutes ago, ZZRLAD said:

Just back from a 21 night cruise on Oceana. 

We drank what we wanted including a bottle of wine with our evening meal and sometimes one at lunchtime also 😉

This cruise had a lot of sea days.

We took on board a bottle of spirit each to enjoy when getting ready in the evening.

Overall our drinks bill worked out at £60 per day between the two of us. No specialty coffees though, just alcohol based drinks.

Hmm, now this may change things. Can you give me more details on the spirits you took on? Or point me in the right direction of P&Os policy?

We are both gin lovers so a bottle of gin would be great to take onboard!

But...

Are we allowed it in our cabin?

Can we bring mixers? If so, how much?

Anything else you think could be of benefit of me knowing?

Thanks in advance!

26 minutes ago, oleb84 said:

Hmm, now this may change things. Can you give me more details on the spirits you took on? Or point me in the right direction of P&Os policy?

But...

Thanks in advance!

We each took 1 litre of Morgan Spiced rum purely for consumption in our cabin. This is what P&O allow at embarkation. We enjoyed a drink when getting ready for dinner each evening. 

There is no limit on mixers and soft drinks. We enjoy a rum and coke and so when in port bought bottles of coke to bring on board when required. No issues.

You are reminded not to bring alcohol on board at ports of call (only allowed on embarkation). But we never actually witnessed this being enforced. 

In terms of purchased drinks,

• generally, we enjoyed a drink or two during the day.
  • Then, if in the dining room for lunch, we would have a large glass of wine. Sometimes a bottle.
  • A pre-dinner drink, then
  • a bottle of wine at dinner. This varied from around £18 to £44 depending on what we chose.
  • Then a drink or two after dinner. On a couple of night maybe a couple more. 

Think that about sums it up. Basically, what we wanted. We also enjoyed a drink when in port, usually at a cafe or restaurant and watched the world go by.

Hope this helps.

On 4/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, oleb84 said:

But...

Thanks in advance!

Another point worth noting is that a bottle (Ltr) of Gordons Gin is £22.00. From room service to drink in cabin.

You can take as much tonic on board as you like. At each port.