Falmouth safty outside of pier

aprilsp88

Hi,

I read the travel warning for Jamaica, but it doesn't mention Falmouth. We've been to Mexico while it's in travel warning and never felt unsafe.

I read if I step outside of the secured area of Falmouth pier, I may encounter aggressive vendors. Do they include Taxi drivers and tour operators? If I just refuse them politely, will I be endangered? I'm trying to decide if I should just choose a tour inside the port area, or go out for more options? (Is there any)?

Or, if we just want to explore the town of Falmouth, or walk to the nearest beach, or go out to catch a taxi, will we be approached by people trying to sell us something or attempt to rob?

Thanks,

April

I was there about 3 years ago. We did a guided food tour, but then went back out on our own to have some drinks at a bar/restaurant. I don't recall being harassed aggressively by anyone at that time, and I tend to be on the nervous side, so I would remember. I don't know how far you would have to walk to get to a beach, but if you want to explore town, it isn't that far. Never felt threatened in any way while we were there either. Like any place, just be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.

I don't think you will be robbed, but the vendors outside the gates are pretty darn aggressive. When you tell one " no thanks " , there will be another one asking you and then another one.

Aggressive vendors are OK, as long as there is no threaten. Thanks for the info.

Ditto Keith. We were there last week. Couldn’t agree with you more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm there in two weeks with two senior girls. Can't decide if we should leave the port. Did you just head out?? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious where did you read a travel warning for Jamaica?? My daughter is looking at having a wedding there...my hubby and I are concerned about Jamaica. Would like to find concrete info on the safety there.

Thanks!

quote=aprilsp88;55508683]Hi,

I read the travel warning for Jamaica, but it doesn't mention Falmouth. We've been to Mexico while it's in travel warning and never felt unsafe.

I read if I step outside of the secured area of Falmouth pier, I may encounter aggressive vendors. Do they include Taxi drivers and tour operators? If I just refuse them politely, will I be endangered? I'm trying to decide if I should just choose a tour inside the port area, or go out for more options? (Is there any)?

Or, if we just want to explore the town of Falmouth, or walk to the nearest beach, or go out to catch a taxi, will we be approached by people trying to sell us something or attempt to rob?

Thanks,

April

• 1 month later...

alabuk,

Do you mean your daughter is looking at a wedding at a resort, or on the island while there for a day on a cruise?? Totally different, If you're there at a resort, you probably would be unlikely to leave the resort other than if you book an excursion, and at the resort, everything will be all smiles and white sandy beaches. The resorts are typically secure, and don't really have safety issues.

Jamaica's not my fave, and yes, I have done both land and cruise visits. But people that go on land vacations tend to love it as much as they love Dominican Republic as a land vacation.

Just curious where did you read a travel warning for Jamaica?? My daughter is looking at having a wedding there...my hubby and I are concerned about Jamaica. Would like to find concrete info on the safety there.

Thanks!

quote=aprilsp88;55508683]Hi,

Thanks,

April

Just curious where did you read a travel warning for Jamaica??l

Travel Advisory

January 10, 2018

Jamaica – Level 2: Exercise increased caution

O E N H U T C

Exercise increased caution in Jamaica due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

• Some areas of Kingston due to crime.
  • Some areas of Montego Bay due to crime.
  • Spanish Town due to crime.

Violent crime, such as home invasions, armed robberies, and homicide, is common. Sexual assaults occur frequently, even at all-inclusive resorts. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from driving outside of Kingston at night.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Jamaica:

• Avoid walking or driving at night.
  • Avoid public buses.
  • Avoid secluded places or situations, even in resorts.
  • Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
  • Be aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Report for Jamaica.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.

Kingston

Violence and shootings occur regularly in some areas of Kingston. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling to the following areas: downtown Kingston, which is defined as the areas between Mountain View Avenue and Hagley Park Road, and south of Half Way Tree and Old Hope Roads, and includes Trench Town, Tivoli Gardens, and Arnett Gardens; Standpipe, Grants Pen, and Cassava Piece.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Montego Bay

Violence and shootings occur regularly in some areas of Montego Bay. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling to the following areas: Flankers, Canterbury, Norwood, Rose Heights, Clavers Street, and Hart Street.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Spanish Town

Violence and shootings occur regularly. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling to Spanish Town.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas

I read the travel warning for Jamaica, but it doesn't mention Falmouth.

On January 18, the Jamaican government issued a state of emergency in the area that includes Falmouth/Montego Bay because of the increased crime/violence