Checking in in line

fizzy1

I understand that you can now checkin on line and print your sea pass out. So is this flimsy piece of paper expected to be your only form of ID , including letting you in your stateroom for the whole of our 2 week cruise !!! I must surely be wrong !

In order to board the ship, you will need your Xpress pass, credit card for expenses, passport and visas if required by the countries you will visit. At the pier, you will be assigned the Sea Pass Card, which is used for your expenses and to open your cabin. To get off the boat in a port of call will also be necessary along with a photo identification.

I understand that you can now checkin on line and print your sea pass out. So is this flimsy piece of paper expected to be your only form of ID , including letting you in your stateroom for the whole of our 2 week cruise !!! I must surely be wrong !

At first when I read this I surely thought it had to be a joke. You have 607 posts to your profile and I'm guessing you been on a few cruises in the past. The on-line check in process is only to help you expedite the lines at the port. Yes, of course you will need your ID (passport, applicable visas, etc.) in order to receive your sea pass card that is issued to you following your check-in process at the pier.

You print out your "Xpress Pass", which acts like an airline boarding pass somewhat. It speeds up the process at check in, because it has a bar code, the agent scans that then populates all the necessary information. That Xpress Pass, along with your Passport (or other sufficient ID) and credit card are all presented to the agent at check in, who then issues you your "Sea Pass" the credit card size, plastic card that is your room key, and card to make purchases on board.

Similar names, but different items.

Harris

Denver, CO

At first when I read this I surely thought it had to be a joke. You have 607 posts to your profile and I'm guessing you been on a few cruises in the past. The on-line check in process is only to help you expedite the lines at the port. Yes, of course you will need your ID (passport, applicable visas, etc.) in order to receive your sea pass card that is issued to you following your check-in process at the pier.

v- well, just well... you are so right.

bon voyage

Do you only need 1 xpress pas per cabin one for each person in the cabin?

Thank you!

If it is a husband and wife in a cabin (with or without children) and both are using the same credit card you will get 1 Xpress pass. If you set up individual accounts with different credit cards you'll get two.

If it is a husband and wife in a cabin (with or without children) and both are using the same credit card you will get 1 Xpress pass. If you set up individual accounts with different credit cards you'll get two.

Oh, I wish it was that simple with the celebrity website ;).

On all my past celebrity cruises (except my most recent), I have checked-in both people in the stateroom using the same credit card, and they were both on the same Xpress pass.

On my most recent Cruise, during the check-in process, which incidentally was after the new celebrity website "upgrade", I tried to do the same check in as always (for two people using the same credit card) but the system would only create two separate Xpress passes. I called celebrity customer service and they couldn't undo it, merge them, or figure out why that had happened. Go figure!

Obviously, this wasn't the end of the world, it just meant I had to carry one extra piece of paper - I just couldn't resist commenting on Celebrity's website. Moreover, it was probably something I inadvertently did wrong during the check-in process, so I accept that - but I was surprised that customer service couldn't even tell me what I did wrong, or undo it.

I post this for amusement, rather than a real valid complaint :)

Despite this, the whole check in process at the pier was quick, efficient and pleasant.

OH! I almost forgot. This also resulted in us having two stateroom accounts, being posted to the same credit card, that even guest relations on board the ship couldn't merge into one stateroom account.

If anyone has a similar experience, who can point out where I went wrong, I'd appreciate knowing, to avoid the same thing happening in the future.

When I checked in for our upcoming Solstice cruise it also created 2 express passes. Never seen that before but it's only one extra piece of paper so no big deal. Every time I log into the website is seems to operate differently. Had no luck getting luggage tags either. Tried twice, still havn't received them. I gave up and just printed my own. Never had an issue before. That website is a freakin disgrace. It takes something like 7 clicks to get to a particular shore excursion day once you are in your reservation. And if you pick one, then hit the back button it's another freakin half dozen clicks. I honestly don't know how they sell anything.

Having 2 express passes at the pier is not a biggie. The problem starts once on board if you have onboard credit. Twice now our accounts were not linked and the onboard credit was split between the two of us. Since my DH used his sea pass in Luminae for wine and to purchase a wine tasting he was getting all the charges but most of the OBC was on my account. We went to Guest Relations and they moved the OBC to my DH's account and I had to be careful not to use my sea pass for chargeable items.

Strangely enough, this happened to us last summer on Millie.. we go to check-in and was told that there were two (2) accounts and they needed my CC...

After a few terse words with the check-in person assuring them that I would never create two (2) accounts and she needed to correct this situation then and there, a supervisor came over to apologize and took care of it right away...

One cabin, one account.

Took all of nine (9) minutes or so for it to be corrected.

bon voyage

Strangely enough, this happened to us last summer on Millie.. we go to check-in and was told that there were two (2) accounts and they needed my CC...

After a few terse words with the check-in person assuring them that I would never create two (2) accounts and she needed to correct this situation then and there, a supervisor came over to apologize and took care of it right away...

One cabin, one account.

Took all of nine (9) minutes or so for it to be corrected.

bon voyage

9 minutes is an eternity when my first cocktail is waiting a short gangplank away;p. I guess I don't really care if there are two account since its the same credit card...... seems stupid tho.

You print out your "Xpress Pass", which acts like an airline boarding pass somewhat. It speeds up the process at check in, because it has a bar code, the agent scans that then populates all the necessary information. That Xpress Pass, along with your Passport (or other sufficient ID) and credit card are all presented to the agent at check in, who then issues you your "Sea Pass" the credit card size, plastic card that is your room key, and card to make purchases on board.

Similar names, but different items.

Harris

Denver, CO

Ah, thank you . Didn’t read it properly . Thanks a million

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, you again !! Bye xx

In order to board the ship, you will need your Xpress pass, credit card for expenses, passport and visas if required by the countries you will visit. At the pier, you will be assigned the Sea Pass Card, which is used for your expenses and to open your cabin. To get off the boat in a port of call will also be necessary along with a photo identification.

Ah, didn’t read it properly ! Was thinking the Xpress pass was the Sea pass

Having 2 express passes at the pier is not a biggie. The problem starts once on board if you have onboard credit. Twice now our accounts were not linked and the onboard credit was split between the two of us. Since my DH used his sea pass in Luminae for wine and to purchase a wine tasting he was getting all the charges but most of the OBC was on my account. We went to Guest Relations and they moved the OBC to my DH's account and I had to be careful not to use my sea pass for chargeable items.

We always have two separate accounts and two Xpress passes - the way they split the OBC is inconsistent so bears watching. Sometimes it is split equally, one time they gave my DH all of it (even when some was a Christmas gift specifically in my name and the bookings are always in my name) and then this last time I received $225 and my DH $25. It just means a trip to GR to move it around - I've given up figuring out how they do it. :rolleyes:

9 minutes is an eternity when my first cocktail is waiting a short gangplank away;p. I guess I don't really care if there are two account since its the same credit card...... seems stupid tho.

t - LOL, yes after a lengthy walk in Seward for a few hours I was ready to board and sip! But when the check-in person got snippy with me on this point, well, just well I would not let it go.

My eyes glazed over when she tried to walk me thorough as to how I created the issue and I had to walk her through as to how I did not create the situation... and created only one account. Thus supervisor involvement as I was not going to let a first line individual start my vacation off in an incorrect manner!

Alas, we were on-board three (3) minutes later with sparkling wine in hand and on way to Sof5 for lunch!!!

All was well there after, mostly for us but not for friends... LOL

bon voyage

OP must be having a senior moment. She's sailed X before, and online check in is not that new. Maybe she should turn over the handling of details to whoever she is sailing with.

Last and only time we have sailed with Celebrity was 4 years ago and checking in on line was not available . We have not cruised since as we have been flying world wide since .Please answer the question i asked or don’t contribute as you have said nothing of any use to anyone.

Last and only time we have sailed with Celebrity was 4 years ago and checking in on line was not available .

Pretty sure online check in has been available since I started sailing Celebrity in 2011 (probably much longer). I remember doing it on RCI, NCL and Carnival as far back as 2004.

Last and only time we have sailed with Celebrity was 4 years ago and checking in on line was not available . We have not cruised since as we have been flying world wide since .Please answer the question i asked or don’t contribute as you have said nothing of any use to anyone.

Online check-in definitely was available 4 yrs ago (2014.) I sailed in 2012 and 2013 on Celebrity and used online check-in both times to print our express passes.

fizzy, your memory is fuzzy. In this April 2013 post https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38115387&postcount=10 in a thread entitled how early is too early to do online check in, you state "yes, we are not sailing till Aug, did online checkin about a month ago".