We leave in 6 days ---- please help!

brittshep

My husband, two children (11 and 8), and I are set to leave on our very first cruising experience this coming weekend with my parents. My parents have been extremely generous and have paid for our passage as a gift. Unfortunately, my son (11 year old) was diagnosed last week with bronchiolitis and is now in the stages of getting over it. After assessing his condition, his pediatrician has assured us that he is NOT contagious and that his residual cough is simply that - residual. She has offered to write a statement for the airline and the ship stating that he is not contagious and therefore not a danger to anyone's health, BUT I still fear being turned away at boarding time. His cough is incessant - maybe 10 seconds between coughing fits - and I have tried EVERYTHING from what seems like a pharmacy of scripted meds to OTC stuff to herbal and home remedies. Apparently he just needs to get through it (his doctor agrees). He doesn't feel sick and there is absolutely nothing else wrong except that cough, so naturally he doesn't want to miss vacation. I'm fine with keeping him confined to the stateroom most of the trip and ordering room service so as not to annoy other cruisers, but what do you think the chances are that they would turn him away even with a note from his doctor (this is, of course, assuming that we'll even be allowed on the plane). I'm REALLY hoping that it clears up, at least most of the way, by Friday, but if not... If he stays, my parents will literally be out a couple thousand dollars (no, they didn't get insurance) and I will feel terrible. But I don't want him to have to go through getting turned away at the gate. :( Any experience or advice is so very greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

"This coming weekend" sounds like five or six days away - which seems to indicate that there is a good chance that his cough would have lessened or even ceased. In any event - with no insurance it would appear that you have nothing to lose by showing up at the pier - certainly a letter from his doctor would help. I know that a simple cough does not automatically bar boarding.

I am not sure anyone would even pay attention to his cough. Many people have allergies that cause coughs. It sometimes takes a while for a residual cough to clear up, but hopefully, it will be better by the weekend.

I would always recommend purchasing travel insurance in the future.

Worse case scenario is he'll need to be evaluated by the medical staff and having the doctor's note would probably help (I would wait for it to become an issue, I wouldn't volunteer it without the staff bringing it up). As others have said 6 days is a long time and he may be completely better by then.

OP: I am not an MD. However, I suggest that you talk to your pediatrician about the possible value of an albuterol inhaler, which MAY help ease the coughing.

BTW: if your parents purchased the cruise for all of you and used a travel savvy credit card (e.g., United Explorer Visa or Chase Sapphire), for payment (before your son got the bronchitis), the CC insurance may provide cancellation protection for your son and his immediate "care giver" family members.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

OP: I am not an MD. However, I suggest that you talk to your pediatrician about the possible value of an albuterol inhaler, which MAY help ease the coughing.

I agree. I get bronchitis about once per year at the change of seasons. An inhaler is usually what it takes to keep the cough from lingering for weeks. A child will probably get over it quicker, but it’s worth asking the Dr. about to speed up recovery.

I agree. I get bronchitis about once per year at the change of seasons. An inhaler is usually what it takes to keep the cough from lingering for weeks.

+1. I get really bad bronchitis after every cold. Guaranteed. Nowadays my doctor prescribes Symbicort.

I've been very lucky and haven't had a cold so far this year. :D

Don’t worry about being turned away. If your doctor writes a note, it can’t hurt to bring that. BUT, you won’t even have to mark it on the medical form. All the medical forms I’ve seen ask if you have a fever plus another symptom; no fever, no need to answer yes.

As others said, with allergies there are plenty of reasons for someone to have a non-contagious cough. You won’t be denied boarding.

Agree with Essiesmom. If you're really concerned and stressed out about being able to board, could you give your son a dose of children's Nyquil before you leave for the terminal?

Roz

I agree with other posters. I would show up, register to board and proceed as if there is nothing wrong - there really isn't! Cruiseline is usually more interested in diarrhea, flu bug, temperatures, etc. I would definitely take the doctor's note, but wouldn't volunteer, unless there was a problem.

Also agree that an inhaler can sometimes help with coughing.

Finally, although it's too late for this trip, in the future consider getting insurance. Insurance covers much more than baggage, cancelling a trip, etc. I would be more concerned about not having medical and evacuation coverage. All age groups have accidents, get sick, etc. Should that happen you will be out a lot of money especially for medical evacuation.

Unfortunately I have allergy induced coughing, which does show up more with travel, and I have never been questioned at embarkation, nor during the cruise. Ease your mind, take the doctor's note just in case, and enjoy your cruise! Bon voyage!

These are the two questions that they ask on the health questionnaire:

1. Within the last 3 days, have you or any person listed above developed any symptoms of diarrhea or vomiting? YES* NO

2. Do you, or anyone listed above, have a fever or feverishness PLUS any ONE of the following additional symptoms: cough, runny nose or sore throat? YES* NO*

If you answer “YES” to questions 1 and/or 2, you will be assessed, free of charge, by a memberof the shipboard medical staff. You will be allowed to travel/visit, unless you are suspected tohave an illness of international public concern.

I'd answer honestly and since he doesn't have a fever, your answer to number 2 would be no and you should be fine.

Edited by NLH Arizona

On our Vista Cruise I ticked the 'vomiting in last 3 days' box as I had possible food poisoning/an allergy.

I wrote next to the tick ' possible food allergy/poisoning' and no-one questioned it or pulled me aside. I was confident I was not contagious and would be assessed as fine by anyone medical anyway. Normal stool and temperature and all that.

It was a surprise....they possible looked at my age (30) and the fact I had no medical conditions and figured it wasn't a problem.

I wouldn't say anything....I think I got lucky to be honest and I was a little too truthful.

...diagnosed last week with bronchitis and is now in the stages of getting over it...

OK, bronchitis is more than a condition than a disease and is not contagious. As mentioned, the screening is for more contagious things like the virus Noro. As far as the note/letter, don't mention it unless questioned. The sea air will do him good.

Your willingness to keep him in your cabin until his constant coughing subsides is a very difficult thing to do but extremely considerate of you.

I would not be surprised that many to most cruisers would find a constant hacking in the din somewhat disturbing but feel it is very likely your son's condition will clear up by then, so please have a wonderful cruise. Oh BTW, you have very nice parents.

To the OP. Go for the cruise you will be fine as your son should be as well.

To many of the other posters it would help to read the OP correctly. Her son has BRONCHIOLITIS, not Bronchitis. Hers is not a typo. The former is a well understood but not medically treatable viral respiratory disorder. Its only treatment is the well documented tincture of time. It is generally NOT responsive to bronchodilators so those of you who suggested an inhaler, while well intentioned, are medically misinformed. I do not like to give medical advice here, but after 40 years of practice I sometimes feel forced to leap in.

To the OP. Go for the cruise you will be fine as your son should be as well.

To many of the other posters it would help to read the OP correctly. Her son has BRONCHIOLITIS, not Bronchitis. Hers is not a typo. The former is a well understood but not medically treatable viral respiratory disorder. Its only treatment is the well documented tincture of time. It is generally NOT responsive to bronchodilators so those of you who suggested an inhaler, while well intentioned, are medically misinformed. I do not like to give medical advice here, but after 40 years of practice I sometimes feel forced to leap in.

Thank you for weighing in.

Just to be clear: my post about an inhaler first identified that I am not an MD and then specifically recommended that OP speak with the pediatrician about the possible value of an inhaler.

You will be fine and having that note is a terrific idea.

Hopefully with six days to go his cough will be gone or much better by then.

Keith

I agree with Keith's answer.

Always the sound of reason and consideration! (Thank you).