Abu Dhabi vs. Dubai?? Pro/Con Factors??

TLCOhio

Thank you so much -a waiter on Silhouette in August did tell us about the fire and said he doubted there would fireworks at Burj area.

This is what I love about CC - people's generosity with information.

Ruth

see, that's one of the reasons that Sydney's NYE fireworks are the best.

WE can use our buildings and bridges again the next day.

see, that's one of the reasons that Sydney's NYE fireworks are the best.

WE can use our buildings and bridges again the next day.

No argument from me on that one, I was fortunate enough to be there for NYE 2012/13 - it was amazing.

Anne...

I don’t think you would be able to see the laser show from the ship as it is only projected onto one side of the Burj Khalifa and that’s the side that faces Downtown as opposed to the sea side of the tower.

Anne..

Is that the side that faces the lake and Dubai Mall Anne? I was trying to see if there was somewhere we could see it and some of the fireworks ('cos you don't want to be right on top of it so you can get a good view). I was thinking of somewhere like Zabeel Park where the Frame is.

Simon

Appreciate these additional posts and various follow-ups. Very interesting and helpful!! Unfortunately, we will not be in Dubai on New Years Eve. And, now they have switched from doing the fireworks off of this dramatic building that is the tallest in the world. Now, they are doing a laser light spectacular. Keep up the great sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 212,888 views for this posting.

Is that the side that faces the lake and Dubai Mall Anne? I was trying to see if there was somewhere we could see it and some of the fireworks ('cos you don't want to be right on top of it so you can get a good view). I was thinking of somewhere like Zabeel Park where the Frame is.

Simon

Yes the side that overlooks the Souq Al Bahar, Dubai Fountains, Dubai Mall, etc... You should be able to see fireworks from the area where you are staying (Mall of the Emirates?) as last year there were displays beside the Burj Al Arab and over the Atlantis Hotel on the Palm Jumeirah...but you wouldn't see the laser show on the Burj Khalifa from there...

I'll update any info on NYE whenever I see anything announced locally..

Anne..

Anne..

Yes the side that overlooks the Souq Al Bahar, Dubai Fountains, Dubai Mall, etc... You should be able to see fireworks from the area where you are staying (Mall of the Emirates?) as last year there were displays beside the Burj Al Arab and over the Atlantis Hotel on the Palm Jumeirah...but you wouldn't see the laser show on the Burj Khalifa from there... I'll update any info on NYE whenever I see anything announced locally.

Anne.

Appreciate this great added information and follow-up from Anne. While we will not be there for New Years Eve, Anne added background and details are very helpful. Glad we are spending additional time in the Dubai-Abu Dhabi area at the end of our 20-day Oceania cruise.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 231,206 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph yesterday, they had this headline: “Best destinations for January sun for their list of their top-15 locations in the world to go for fun warmth. Glad we will be in Dubai for the first time in December 2018.

Here are the highlights for Dubai and why they rated this city so highly: "It can be easy to sneer at Dubai – to claim that its skyscrapers are ridiculously big, to suggest that its enormous malls are a substitute for any element of culture, to say that its artificial-island construction projects are over-reaching and silly. But the glitziest of the United Arab Emirates does not care a jot – and nor do the thousands of UK tourists who flock to its beaches knowing that the sun will have its hat on."

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/Winter-sun-seeker-where-to-go-in-January/

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 241,401 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph yesterday, they had this headline: Secret sights: hidden attractions you didn't know around the world with these specific highlights: “Contrary to popular belief, Dubai does have some history. 'Dubai's oldest buildings are in the atmospheric Persian quarter called Bastakiya, a five-minute mosey from Dubai Museum,' explains Lara Dunston. 'Dubai has very few historic buildings because the Bedouin were nomads who erected goat-hair tents when they wanted to set up home, while the pearl divers and fishermen lived in flimsy barasti (palm-frond huts) along Dubai Creek. The first to construction solid buildings were Persian merchants from Bastak, southern Iran, who built these handsome homes boasting barrel (wind towers, an early form of air conditioning) from gypsum, coral and sand. Crumbling until the government rescued them a decade ago, many have been reconstructed, and are now home to art galleries, cafes and boutique hotels. In the cooler winter months, the quarter hosts markets in its narrow alleys.'

WOW!! Fascinating background and history about Dubai. Fun learning more. Can't wait to see these areas in person.

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/galleries/secret-sights-in-the-city-hidden-attractions/dubai/

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 36,818 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From this UK newspaper, below is the visual used to illustrate this information about the hidden history of Dubai.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-06%20at%201.53.55%20PM_zps6kpi9lsx.png

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail two days ago, they had this headline: “Stunning aerial images taken by true masters of drone photography with these highlights: This below image by Bachir Moukarzel won first prize in the 'urban' category of the Dronestagram International Drone Photography Contest of 2017. The photograph features Dubai Marina, which has been named as the 'tallest block in the world' as it is home to six of the ten tallest residential buildings in the world. Bachir said it took him months to capture this image as he had to wait for the clouds to clear. He said: 'For me, the image symbolizes the evolution of Dubai, from a desert to a concrete jungle.'

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-6234519/The-stunning-images-new-book-Masters-Drone-Photography-Ammonite-Press.html

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 213,405 views for this posting.

Here is that image from this UK publication. Interesting view and angle?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-05%20at%206.00.48%20PM_zps0lxqzqp3.png

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Sunday Express this weekend, they had this headline: Dubai plans to be world’s most popular destination by 2025 with this sub-headline: "Dubai has set its sights on becoming the world’s most popular tourist destination and wants to beat current hotspots London, Paris and Bangkok by introducing exciting new attractions."

Here are some of the story highlights: It currently attracts 15.8 million visitors annually. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) city hopes to welcome 25 million visitors in seven years time. At the moment, Bangkok hold the crown for the world's most tourist destination, with 20.05 million visitors a year, according to Mastercard’s Global Destination Cities Index. At the moment, Dubai’s 15.79 million annual visitors puts the city in fourth place. London is in second place with 19.83 million and Paris in third place with 17.44 million.

Their plan? This story has these details: "Dubai’s plan of action to reach its impressive goal includes its growing list of attractions to draw visitors to the city. These range from architectural landmark Dubai Frame and the Museum of the Future to the Eye of Dubai Ferris wheel - the largest Ferris wheel in the world - and indoor amusement park IMG Worlds of Adventure."

Full story at:

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1027485/dubai-holidays-cheap-uae-emirates-london-paris-bangkok-most-popular-destinations

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 44,060 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

• 3 weeks later...

From the London/UK Daily Mail yesterday, they had this headline: “Tourists visiting Dubai warned they must get approval to bring in prescription medication or they could face jail”  with these highlights: “Tourists visiting Dubai are being warned they could face jail if they fail to get permission to bring prescription medication into the country.  The Ministry of Health in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has issued a new law that means all visitors and residents entering the country must gain online approval to carry medication for personal use, prior to entering the country.   And if travellers fail to declare the medicines they intend to take into the UAE, it will be confiscated and tourists could find themselves being prosecuted.”

Will need to do more research and checking as to how best to connect on-line with the Dubai officials for registering our prescriptions that will be carried with us when we arrive there in early December. Any other insights, tips, suggestions, experiences, etc., from others?  Look forward to learning more.  

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-6316785/Tourists-visiting-Dubai-approval-bring-medication-face-jail.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 25,636 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Hi, 

the above post seems very important, maybe it should have a tread of its own. And if you find the form that needs to be submitted please share the URL, 

i presume this will impact cruise ships travellers as well. How is immigration handled when you get to UAE, is it face to face meeting?  

Thank you 

diane

11 hours ago, mrandmrsdd said:

Hi, 

the above post seems very important, maybe it should have a tread of its own. And if you find the form that needs to be submitted please share the URL, 

i presume this will impact cruise ships travellers as well. How is immigration handled when you get to UAE, is it face to face meeting?  

Thank you 

diane

Diane,

This is something new but I’ve done some research and found all the details on the Minitry of Health website however, it isn’t very user friendly with an iPad so I’ll post the links to the relevant section with the details, the approval form and the list of drugs that it applies to after the weekend when I can do it from a computer.   However, getting the approval does only apply to substances that are classified as controlled or semi-controlled, it isn’t something that is required for all medications that people may have been prescribed.   I take medication for a chronic condition (asthma in my case) and I checked my medications but none of them are on the list...

Anne

Edited by Jayayeff

Hi Anne

I thought that too. Looked through the list which is nearly all narcotic and psycotic drugs. I've e mailed the MoH for clarification, but I think someone is trying to make people panic, as I checked this out several months ago.

Simon

1 hour ago, sddsddean said:

Hi Anne

I thought that too. Looked through the list which is nearly all narcotic and psycotic drugs. I've e mailed the MoH for clarification, but I think someone is trying to make people panic, as I checked this out several months ago.

Simon

Simon,

It’s basically the same prescribed drugs that have always been on the prohibited list but what they have done now is introduced an approval procedure for people travelling to the UAE who may take any of these drugs under prescription to carry them with them.  This was announced just last week and it is all on the Ministry of Health website - the list, the approval form, the guidelines etc. so travellers can receive pre-approval to carry these drugs with them upon entering or transiting through the UAE... The new list clearly shows which substances are still prohibited, which are permitted and in what quantities for personal use - some are duration of stay only, some up to 30 days supply, some up to 90 days supply).   I’ll post everything tomorrow from my work computer as between the new CC and my iPad I’m struggling today!!!

Anne..

Edited by Jayayeff

Found these links on a TripAdvisor  thread dealing with this subject:

http://www.mohap.gov.ae/en/services/Pages/361.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1i5giQunBuz_agwo-ptE1lwXd59q4msWTygnbOZf3xcGNFac45HQefNeI

http://www.mohap.gov.ae/Files/MOH_Service/361/Guidelines for carrying of personal medicines with travelers in to the UAE.pdf

The first is the MOH Web page . The second is a lengthy PDF with the categories and lists of the affected drugs. 

4 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Hi Anne:  I thought that too. Looked through the list which is nearly all narcotic and psycotic drugs. I've e mailed the MoH for clarification, but I think someone is trying to make people panic, as I checked this out several months ago.  Simon

32 minutes ago, mom says said:

http://www.mohap.gov.ae/en/services/Pages/361.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1i5giQunBuz_agwo-ptE1lwXd59q4msWTygnbOZf3xcGNFac45HQefNeI

http://www.mohap.gov.ae/Files/MOH_Service/361/Guidelines for carrying of personal medicines with travelers in to the UAE.pdf

The first is the MOH Web page . The second is a lengthy PDF with the categories and lists of the affected drugs. 

Appreciate these excellent above comments and follow-ups.  Plus, as always, the super informed background from Jayayeff was very helpful, too!  Clearly it seems that prime and total focus is on drugs of a narcotic and/or psychotic nature.  Fortunately, I do not need or use any of those types of narcotic/psychotic medicines.  Given my aging body, it is the more common, non-narcotic prescription drugs such Celecoxib, Simvastatin, etc., that I need to have and take.  Sounds as if our "problem" has been either solved or clarified.  Good news!!

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 43,029 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

12 hours ago, mom says said:

In addition to the above links, the following will take you to the updated drug listing which in the end column also includes the quantities permitted and the documents required for approval (some are just Medical prescription, some medical prescription + medical report)..

http://www.mohap.gov.ae/Files/MOH_Service/361/ANNEX TO TRAVELLERS GUIDELINES-1.pdf

The following is the guide to using the e-services portal for submitting the application for approval... The relevant Chapter is 3.0 - Import and sub-section 3.1 - Personal Use (Pages 31-35) which will lead you through the approval application and the uploading of required documents.  In order to use this facility you will need to register online to use e-services

http://www.mohap.gov.ae/Files/MOH_Service/361/User Manual - Import and Export Services.pdf

Please note that all the listings show the generic name of the drugs so please check with your pharmacy or doctor if you are unsure about the content of any brand name drugs you may be travelling with.....

I haven't tried it yet, but as I do travel with one drug on the list I guess I will have to put it to the test at some stage!!!

Anne..

On 10/28/2018 at 2:55 AM, Jayayeff said:

In addition to the above links, the following will take you to the updated drug listing which in the end column also includes the quantities permitted and the documents required for approval (some are just Medical prescription, some medical prescription + medical report)..

http://www.mohap.gov.ae/Files/MOH_Service/361/ANNEX TO TRAVELLERS GUIDELINES-1.pdf

The following is the guide to using the e-services portal for submitting the application for approval... The relevant Chapter is 3.0 - Import and sub-section 3.1 - Personal Use (Pages 31-35) which will lead you through the approval application and the uploading of required documents.  In order to use this facility you will need to register online to use e-services

http://www.mohap.gov.ae/Files/MOH_Service/361/User Manual - Import and Export Services.pdf

Please note that all the listings show the generic name of the drugs so please check with your pharmacy or doctor if you are unsure about the content of any brand name drugs you may be travelling with.....  I haven't tried it yet, but as I do travel with one drug on the list I guess I will have to put it to the test at some stage!!!   Anne..

Appreciate what Anne has posted above. Having posted originally last week on this subject/question based on several initial news stories, I was able to obtain today some added information for this situation.   I talked this afternoon with a knowledgeable health section official at the UAE Embassy in Washington, DC.  This discussion clarified much, including that there is absolutely no need to do via an on-line connection, etc., in advance with or to the Ministry of Health (MoH) in the UAE.  No advance permission, sign-up, authorization, filing, etc., from the UAE MoH will be required before our travels or departure. 

We do need, FIRST, to obtain a signed letter  from our medical doctor(s) before commencing travels explaining why these “controlled substance” medicines with us would be needed.  Plus, SECOND, a copy of the actual prescriptions, dose size and confirming that they are current.  This term controlled substance might be the very most important "detail"!!  Most of the prescriptions medicines that we would carry on this trip will NOT require these types of advance actions or preparation.   If you look carefully at the 15 pages of details for the specific meds requiring this advance paperwork, these are mostly and all what can be called drugs of a narcotic and/or psychotropic nature.  Not all prescriptions need this documentation, just those that are on their list of narcotic or psychotropic types of medicines.  

And, THIRD, they want some type of “local official” letter.  That gets a little more "fuzzy" and less clear.   But, in discussing additionally the options with that UAE Embassy official in Washington, DC, I came up with another idea.  Since there are no Federal health offices here handy in Columbus (our state's Capital City), I asked about getting a signed letter from a Member of Congress or a Senator as to whether that could work?  She said YES, that would be satisfactory.  I have contacted my Congressman’s office here and have processes commencing in that direction for getting some document or letter fitting for such an “official looking” purpose.   Don't ask me as to what that letter will say or mean.  I am just seeking a "document" that has some appearance of being "important" to go with the other medical items/documents.  Also, I have some other or added options/potential to check/explore.  Fortunately, I know some of these various officials and staff members.  That helps in exploring this new, confusing and complicated "hurdle" for which my wife and I, plus the other couple traveling with us, are doing to be prepared for what is new and different in Dubai.  Maybe, you can also check for a local government health office or official, etc.  Hope these details and this sharing is of help.  

Questions, suggestions or reactions?  Will share more as we continue to progress ahead.  Or, maybe in the next week or so, the Dubai officials will realize the "mess" this well-intended new policy is creating,   The UAE officials are seeking to stop people bringing in 60-90 day supplies of opioids that could be abused or sold off. In a country, however, that has been seeking to be such a key, major tourist location/center, this type of challenge makes travels difficult for people what are not used to traveling with these types of official documents.  

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 37,749 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Interesting post Terry.  I guess conflicting reports over something that was only announced days ago shouldn't surprise us but as per my post on the other thread, this is a regulation that applies to those of us resident in the UAE as well as those who will be visiting so it has been reported on locally as well as internationally.  The following link is from The National newspaper a few days ago... If it works, I would have thought the online approval would be preferable to the exercise you detail above!!!   I guess at some stage I'll have to put it to the test but as I don't have any immediate travel plans I'll leave others to be the guinea pigs!!!

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/the-uae-explained-how-to-bring-prescription-drugs-into-the-country-1.784810

Anne...

23 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Interesting post Terry.  I guess conflicting reports over something that was only announced days ago shouldn't surprise us but as per my post on the other thread, this is a regulation that applies to those of us resident in the UAE as well as those who will be visiting so it has been reported on locally as well as internationally.  The following link is from The National newspaper a few days ago... If it works, I would have thought the online approval would be preferable to the exercise you detail above!!!   I guess at some stage I'll have to put it to the test but as I don't have any immediate travel plans I'll leave others to be the guinea pigs!!!

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/the-uae-explained-how-to-bring-prescription-drugs-into-the-country-1.784810

Anne...

As per my post on the other thread regarding this issue, the MOH&A website has now been updated with a notice that states the pre-approval procedure is optional and travelers may either follow that route or they can do as is currently required and as detailed by Terry above and carry all the relevant documentation along with any of the drugs mentioned and declare upon arrival.......updated link below

Anne..

16 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

As per my post on the other thread regarding this issue, the MOH&A website has now been updated with a notice that states the pre-approval procedure is optional and travelers may either follow that route or they can do as is currently required and as detailed by Terry above and carry all the relevant documentation along with any of the drugs mentioned and declare upon arrival.......updated link below

Anne..

Appreciate, Anne, your excellent follow-up and these various, added details.   Glad that the UAE MoH folks are realizing the need to clarify and become, maybe, a little more flexible and reasonable.  It is still a little "fuzzy" and confusing.  BUT, fortunately, we have a little more time and things are getting somewhat more into focus.  Keep up the great sharing!!

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 241,815 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Abu Dhabi and Dubai last year.  Both were wonderful places to visit.  Just want to comment about the Mosque.  It was very hot,  so I wore skimmers and a short sleeved top.  Took a shawl and pull on floor length skirt with me which I put on once we arrived at the Mosque.  Our tour guide told me that even with the shawl, my wrist showed when I lifted my arms, so I would not be able to enter.  Luckily, she had a long dress that she loaned to me.  My husband had on a top and knee length shorts.  They would not let him enter, because his shorts did not cover his knees completely.  He went to the side, pulled his shorts down a few inches, looked like a gang banger, but was let in.  So, be prepared.