Punta Arenas excursion help

2BSailin

Have any of you taken the Magdalena Island Penguin Reserve tour with Princess?

I says that "You'll spend nearly an hour observing these whimsical penguins in their natural habitat." Does that mean you will walk among the penguins on a trail OR observe them from a distance?

We have not been able to find any other similar tour available at this time.....

Thank you for your help!

Are you referring to Puentas Arenas Chili?

If yes, we did an excursion with another cruise line. The penguins dig a hole to nest in the sand and there is a boardwalk built around their nesting area. Some of the boardwalk is high so they can go under it. In other places they walk on the boardwalk

You can also see them on the beach.

Here's my blog post from our tour. Hope it helps you make your decision

http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/2008/04/magellanic-penguins-patagonia-chile.html

We went to Magdalena Island a few years ago and there were tens of thousands of penguins. There was a gravel path and ropes on the sides. The penguins sometimes would walk across the path. You could see them on the hill in their burrows and frolicking on the beach. It was definitely memorable.

On Magdalena Island there is a wide gravel/dirt path to walk on, marked off with stakes and string to prevent you from wandering off the path. Some of the penguins burrows are literally inches away from the path, so you are very close to them. As well, the penguins walk where they choose so some do venture onto the path. You will see thousands of penguins on this excursion! The gray, fluffy babies are the cutest!

We toured the Magdalena Island Penguin Reserve this past January, with a private group rather than the ship tour, but I'm sure it was basically the same tour. An hour on the island with a gravel trail that goes up a hill to the lighthouse then circles back to the dock. The penguins were either in their nests with their offspring, or wandering about, or out to sea to get food. A bit loud (squawking) and smelly, but a great experience.

Are you referring to Puentas Arenas Chili?

If yes, we did an excursion with another cruise line. The penguins dig a hole to nest in the sand and there is a boardwalk built around their nesting area. Some of the boardwalk is high so they can go under it. In other places they walk on the boardwalk

You can also see them on the beach.

Here's my blog post from our tour. Hope it helps you make your decision

http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/2008/04/magellanic-penguins-patagonia-chile.html

Sorry for this post as I can now see we did not do the exact same excursion. Apologize for my confusion and hope I didn't confuse the OP

I says that "You'll spend nearly an hour observing these whimsical penguins in their natural habitat." Does that mean you will walk among the penguins on a trail OR observe them from a distance?

We have not been able to find any other similar tour available at this time.....

Thank you for your help!

Believe there are two ways to get there, fast boat and slow ferry boat. The slow boat takes around two hours one way. Check the tour details.

You walk around the island on roped off gravel paths. You are required to stay on these paths. The penguins do not have the same restriction and frequently are on the paths. The penguins are Magellanic Penguins.

When we traveled to South America in January of last year......Puenta Arenas was a tender port. Winds kicked up mid morning and excursions were cancelled...our fast boat penguin one was. The slow boat left earlier and many of the people became very sea sick. The later slow boat excursion was cancelled. I booked all 3 possibilities for seeing penguins on this cruise, I would suggest you do to, if seeing penguins is importation to you. We were fortunate to make the Falklands, volunteer point and Puerto Madryn, Tombo Reserve. To go to the Tombo Reserve you travel by bus/van rather than boat, it is probably the easiest way and the best odds to see penguins in their habitat.

Thank you for your help!

If you cruise also stops in the Falklands, try and get out to Volunteer Point. Three breads nest there including Kings and you can walk right along side them as well as stand on the shore and watch them swim.

Here is a wide angel picture.

uNIG7F16pI3vNaDGgIxHrs7w9K_Vy8zdziaahwOZLrXBeFXo8VfiJVnIphIvKy3MYACb2ZSxXdfVTRn7x9D45mHdlyjCCvWRcjpeq_jzV1TH5IFwO7MjYewDgOybg6e5z61xbacSX2P838VvoXi5O_HFUZ1UjcF_C8abbvMdHxgAPOU_md7lvGGKQ_eDpFeTdgOfs97S5D_JzGmvmvp-uP6LbO5II5L4HHawkrc_hQSGqHtqsZvm1Fhyk3hMUjAQqknW9qmmj4OTl5RUP4HXDpmjlWxKs8eJ-WmJvOx3AeRYzbRDgIvy-SRUMpb3lkM-h3bg0Qk7SV2jamRTu3Ws2SrqGKGFxMah8hvbK0b5FyA80fGwjooVl5UtJ2wKE_R6SOZGKyFlUq8YQuPXsYYR0CCBfwaB3e0xf2vL4KXhLbGAUYA1Ngq8XLtVzo07pCYeTMr5Ac2WmEjfmYr5Ua4CSSN0nsmUCsC-DxGDqZxnsjpvG8SO2w85rV79tCt0U6FjDNHZUhNkzJfbZu0Fwt-HWlKS18pBiniy9Mv-LxIU23Oy3Jc5H7TLDfw17kYhYcCd0YMeHRuLU3QqwyZoo0rpL-YVtpUCxn_Je3miaZQ=w1024-h683-no

I will second volunteer point in the Falklands. It takes like 2 hours to get there in a 4x4, but the experience is amazing. You will be walking with the penguins. As long as you do not cross the rocks into the nesting area, you are ok. But walking around the beach, the penguins will literally walk inches by you as they head to the water or back to the nesting area. The Kings are really amazing because they are bigger than most.

I will second volunteer point in the Falklands. It takes like 2 hours to get there in a 4x4, but the experience is amazing. You will be walking with the penguins. As long as you do not cross the rocks into the nesting area, you are ok. But walking around the beach, the penguins will literally walk inches by you as they head to the water or back to the nesting area. The Kings are really amazing because they are bigger than most.

There was a gentleman I was watching following about 5 birds to the water unaware another was following him until it came waddling by and hit him with a wing. He about jumped out on his skin.

It is an unbelievable place. The 2 hours doesn't real describe the ride. It is only about 80 miles from the port with smooth road for all but the last small segment where you go bouncing through bogs for an hour watching other 4x4s being pulled out when they get stuck. When you get there, there are over 5000 penguins on the sands between two bodies of water. The funny thing is when you start looking out, you see the large light brown lumps near the birds until you figure out they are sheep.

In the picture I posted above, you can see large young, some new hatch-lings and several birds with their feet together with an egg on them with their stomach completely over them to keep them warm.