Fear of Hurricane Season - To Book or Not To Book?

lucky978

We've had 2 cruises during hurricane season (end of July/very beginning of August) and were very fortunate to not have hurricanes interfere with either. After the one in Aug '04, there was a hurricane the very next week wreaking havok and I remember thinking how very lucky we were that we sailed the week prior.

And after what so many people endured in 2005, it was a very difficult decision for us to decide to go ahead and book for this August. (Unfortunately, work obligations limit me to taking my longer vacations at the end of July/early August.) I actually looked for cruises to Mexico out of California but it seems most of those ships are relocated up north to Alaska and return to California in the fall. I agree that you need to be flexible about missing or changing ports. But what scares me just as much is thinking about trying to get into or out of an embarkation port that is potentially being affected by a hurricane. So, I have no good answers for you, just posting to say I feel the same uncertainty/fear and that if I had other times I could go, I'd try to avoid booking during August/September.

Archived