Carnival Fascination: Then (2001) and Now?

SmithAlien

In June 2001, my mother and I took our first cruise together (and the first cruise for either of us). We sailed on the 3-night Miami to Nassau itinerary, on Carnival Fascination. We were on Empress deck, cabin E68 (port side, next to the boarding doors used when boarding from a Jetway-style elevated gangway from the cruise terminal). Our cabin had metallic red fixtures and trim, as well as artwork of old ocean liners in it.

I remember there were no balconies below the highest decks (if there were balconies that I could remember, that is), now I see that balconies have been grafted en bloc to the sides and stern of the ship. I also remember a "topless deck" around the funnel (because I saw the sign next to the ladder indicating adults only and the cowboy-saloon-style gate across the ladder); now that deck is the launch pad for a new waterslide complex topside. I still remember the 88 piano bar, the Passage to India Lounge with the big elephants guarding the doorway, the Puttin' on the Ritz, the Palace Show Lounge, and other venues, restaurants, clubs, etc. as well as the glitzy Grand Atrium with neon glass elevators and sweeping stairs. The MDRs were Sensation and Imagination. We ate in Sensation (forward MDR). The interior decor was Hollywood themed, with mannequins of Humphrey Bogart and other Hollywood stars standing or sitting about all over the Promenade deck. Light metallic purple (or lavender metallic) trim was everywhere in public areas around the Grand Atrium.

I notice that Fascination has undergone multiple refits since 2001, and most recently, yet another dry dock refit this year, with the addition of new eateries and venues. I know Fascination is based in San Juan now and does a much longer (and more port-intensive) itinerary from there, much more interesting than Nassau.

I would love to re-cruise Fascination one day and see how much the ship has changed since my 2001 cruise. In your experience, how has it changed, and would I still recognize the ship today?

You would still recognize the Passage to India, the piano bar the wall art, but I think the mannequins are no longer there. Puttin' on the ritz still there, as well as the Palace show lounge. I was on her in Oct. but I don't think I took many pictures, as it was my fourth time for her, I think. EM