Navigator Southern or Adventure Eastern?

Hi everyone - we are doing our first Caribbean cruise in December (coming from Australia so won't be doing another anytime soon) and have narrowed down to a 9 night Navigator to Labadee, Curacao, Bonaire and Aruba or 8 night Adventure to Labadee, St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan.

Need help deciding on which to do please. Is there much difference between the 2 ships? Is it an issue that Navigator is due for a drydock while Adventure just had one? Which itinerary is better?

We are a family of 4 (kids are adults, 20 and 22) and want some fun adventure type excursions, as well as Caribbean culture, beautiful beaches and great ship. This class ship seems the perfect size (biggest we've done is Radiance, and Celebrity Solstice), and 8 or 9 nights seems a good length cruise.

Navigator's itinerary is better. ABC islands are great. And it is one more night.

Ships are close to equal. Navigator had a major dry dock in 2014. Only real difference would be that Adventure has waterslides.

Also, my favorite port to depart from is Miami (although I love Fort Lauderdale too). I like to stay a night before in Miami Beach.

We did the 9 night ABC on Navigator in Jan 2018. The itinerary has to be one of the best. Lovely islands. These islands did not receive any damage from the hurricane last year. I believe that Puerto Rico is still recovering. We will be going back on the NOTS for the 5 day cruise later this year. Some people combined the 9 night cruise with the 5 day cruise to make it 14 days. Given the distance that you are traveling to get to the ship...this could be a consideration. Totally different itineraries.

The Adventure and Navigator are both Voyager class ships. Adventure was in dry dock in January while Navigator will go into dry dock Jan 2019. That means that the Navigator will possibly show some signs of wear. We have found that carpet that might be a little worn does not ruin our experience. The staff on the Navigator were great.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Keep in mind that the ABC islands are flat and have a desert climate - NOT green and tropical. Check youtube for videos of these islands. Great if you like hot and dry.

St Kitts, St Martin and Labadee are green with elevation. We will be doing the Navigator 9 day very soon, and we just sailed Adventure Eastern. The Eastern islands are still recovering, but we still had a great trip and look forward to being back there in a few months.

Thanks so much for all your great replies - seems the Southern ABC islands are overwhelmingly the favourite, and there is not much to pick between Adventure and Navigator other than the drydock schedules.

Do the ABC Islands have the Caribbean 'vibe' especially being flat and dry and also being Dutch islands? When I think Caribbean, I do think lush and French/Jamaican island feel,but maybe that's from watching Cool Runnings (one of my favourite movies)

JMG your back to back 14 day sounds wonderful, but we wanted to spend a few days in Miami and we have a week in Toronto for a family wedding beforehand so combined with the trek from Australia we won't have the time. I doubt we'll get back to the Caribbean any time soon, so want to make sure to see the best possible islands.

The Western itinerary was also in the mix, but it seems from trawling through the posts on here that that would definitely be third choice.

... Do the ABC Islands have the Caribbean 'vibe' especially being flat and dry and also being Dutch islands? ...

Not really, I find Aruba and Curacao much different than Jamaica.

Not really, I find Aruba and Curacao much different than Jamaica.

Do they have a Caribbean island feel though? And if not what sort of cultural feel do they have?

I guess what I mean is - the majority of people recommend the ABC islands over the Eastern islands, so I assume they are beautiful and a great itinerary, but I want to feel like we're in the Caribbean.

Edited by Cassicruiser

Do they have a Caribbean island feel though? And if not what sort of cultural feel do they have?

I guess what I mean is - the majority of people recommend the ABC islands over the Eastern islands, so I assume they are beautiful and a great itinerary, but I want to feel like we're in the Caribbean.

When I'm in downtown Willemstad (Curacao), I feel like I'm in Europe.

You can always do the Eastern or Western Caribbean. There are tons of them on all the cruise lines. ABC Islands are amazing. Our favorite was Bonaire.

As we're coming from Australia, we won't be doing another Caribbean cruise for a very long time, so I guess what I'm saying is if we only have one visit which itinerary is best? Most people seem to be saying ABC islands...

I think Jamaica has a very different vibe than most islands in the Caribbean. I’ve done 5 land vacations and 4 cruise ship stops. It’s one of my favorite islands. The locals are very laid back and there is a lot of culture to be had. It’s not for everyone though. Very poor island which I think shocks some when they venture out of the port areas. Very green. The beaches around Ocho Rios are more rocky and doesn’t have that white sand feel. Beaches near Negril are better but that is an entire day trip from a cruise port. Labadee is a private area for Royal and designed to be a beach day. Lots of activities but not much culture. St. Maarten has lovely beaches but touristy. One side is French one side is Dutch. I wouldn’t take a land vacation to St. Maarten but that’s just me. I voted for ABC as I haven’t been to them yet and beaches look amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think Jamaica has a very different vibe than most islands in the Caribbean. I’ve done 5 land vacations and 4 cruise ship stops. It’s one of my favorite islands. The locals are very laid back and there is a lot of culture to be had. It’s not for everyone though. Very poor island which I think shocks some when they venture out of the port areas. Very green. The beaches around Ocho Rios are more rocky and doesn’t have that white sand feel. Beaches near Negril are better but that is an entire day trip from a cruise port. Labadee is a private area for Royal and designed to be a beach day. Lots of activities but not much culture. St. Maarten has lovely beaches but touristy. One side is French one side is Dutch. I wouldn’t take a land vacation to St. Maarten but that’s just me. I voted for ABC as I haven’t been to them yet and beaches look amazing.

Well that wasn’t very helpful- you’re not going to JA!! Sorry :)

As we're coming from Australia, we won't be doing another Caribbean cruise for a very long time, so I guess what I'm saying is if we only have one visit which itinerary is best? Most people seem to be saying ABC islands...

I still say the ABC Islands. I have been to almost every "cruisable" Island (as a lot of us here on CC have)......Nothing compares. BUT....(LOL) I have NEVER had a bad cruise, so anything you pick will be fabulous!!!! :')

When you say Caribbean feel are you talking about the music playing in the air type of feel, look of the island, the beaches, or the people themselves? I have not been to all those places but for me the music playing at the beaches, bars, restaurants has a lot to do with feeling of a particular place.

Well that wasn’t very helpful- you’re not going to JA!! Sorry :)

I used Jamaica as an example of the place I think of that would have a Caribbean vibe. So understandable mistake! And your post still puts things in perspective, so thanks :D

When you say Caribbean feel are you talking about the music playing in the air type of feel, look of the island, the beaches, or the people themselves? I have not been to all those places but for me the music playing at the beaches, bars, restaurants has a lot to do with feeling of a particular place.

That's exactly what I mean! It may be touristy, but that's the kind of feel I would love, although I've been to the Netherlands and loved it, so feel like I would really like the European feel of the Dutch Caribbean islands as well. It's just different and I'm hoping there's a bit of a mix of European and Caribbean?

My wife and I have done the 8 day cruise at least 4 times. We just got off the Navigator cruise March 16-25. We have now found a new favorite. The islands were fantastic and the Navigator offered great service. Snorkeling in Bonaire was the highlight of the trip