Not going well on Sun cruise .

patannel

large group of passengers gathered to complain yesterday. Not good. Lots of construction and toxic fumes. Noise. Closures. No one knew of this before boarding. Captain claims even he didn’t Know. Strange. But people are having breathing problems. One person claimed to have a $5300 groom medic help.

large group of passengers gathered to complain yesterday. Not good. Lots of construction and toxic fumes. Noise. Closures. No one knew of this before boarding. Captain claims even he didn’t Know. Strange. But people are having breathing problems. One person claimed to have a $5300 groom medic help.

What's going on with the Sun, was it in drydock, going into drydock... and what is a "groom medic help" or do you mean room midical assistance?

More info requested please...

Ah, gotcha... not good when cruising with medical issues... hope she's ok.

The Sun is going into dry dock in a few days after She disembarks passengers in San Francisco and then heads for Victoria.

Not uncommon at all for work to start early or continue after dry dock.

I doubt that the Captain did know any of the plans as he just boarded in Miami.

The Sun is going into dry dock in a few days after She disembarks passengers in San Francisco and then heads for Victoria.

Not uncommon at all for work to start early or continue after dry dock.

I doubt that the Captain did know any of the plans as he just boarded in Miami.

Every Captain knows what work/renovations/engineering changes are going on on their ship at all times. That's a given.

Every Captain knows what work/renovations/engineering changes are going on on their ship at all times. That's a given.

Well, the OP said the Captain "didn't know" with reference to a statement that "no one knew before boarding", and another poster stated that the Captain got on at the start of this cruise, so I take it to mean he did not know before taking over, what was being done, since his relief was onboard and dealing with it and with corporate. Most of us don't pay any attention to the ship when we are on vacation, since we spend half our lives there, we could care less about it the other half.

Well, the OP said the Captain "didn't know" with reference to a statement that "no one knew before boarding", and another poster stated that the Captain got on at the start of this cruise, so I take it to mean he did not know before taking over, what was being done, since his relief was onboard and dealing with it and with corporate. Most of us don't pay any attention to the ship when we are on vacation, since we spend half our lives there, we could care less about it the other half.

Thanks for the "other side"!

I find it odd that the ship is full of contractors and that there are planned closures of facilities on board that the Captain would not know about. Is the Captain pointing at the Hotel Manager or Cruise Director for authorizing changes to the ship's structure while underway?

I find it odd that the ship is full of contractors and that there are planned closures of facilities on board that the Captain would not know about. Is the Captain pointing at the Hotel Manager or Cruise Director for authorizing changes to the ship's structure while underway?

The Captain who boarded in Miami is in his FIRST FEW DAYS of his FIRST CONTRACT AS CAPTAIN/MASTER of the Sun.

He had no say in anything- CORPORATE did.

This might be taken as a flip answer, but get out on deck and get fresh air. I realize that isn't possible at all hours, but stay outside as much as possible if fumes are the problem.

Another ncl apologist. Clearly if a large number are complaining it is an issue

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In 2015 on the Sun going through the Panama Canal they started replacing the carpet in the hall of our cabin on day two. The workers right outside our door were wearing masks yet we who lived there were issued none. We certainly did spend most of the day on Deck somewhere else, but we had to shave shower and sleep there. My wife and I both developed terrible coughs, were given antibiotics by the medical staff and my wife required additional breath treatments. When the subject was brought up at the captain question and answer period we were told to discuss it privately. So another words, we were told nothing, got no fiscal relief, could have bought the antibiotics cheaper in Colombia.

In 2015 on the Sun going through the Panama Canal they started replacing the carpet in the hall of our cabin on day two. The workers right outside our door were wearing masks yet we who lived there were issued none. We certainly did spend most of the day on Deck somewhere else, but we had to shave shower and sleep there. My wife and I both developed terrible coughs, were given antibiotics by the medical staff and my wife required additional breath treatments. When the subject was brought up at the captain question and answer period we were told to discuss it privately. So another words, we were told nothing, got no fiscal relief, could have bought the antibiotics cheaper in Colombia.

So the carpets were full of bacteria which gave you a chest infection requiring antibiotics?

Surely the masks were because the staff were working close to a dusty floor to prevent any allergic reaction for which antibiotics would be useless?

Could the chest infections have been transmitted by a sick passenger?

Hope the ships doctor was able to test you to confirm it was a bacterial infection rather than a virus so that he did not expose you to the risks associated with taking unnecessary antibiotics.

So the carpets were full of bacteria which gave you a chest infection requiring antibiotics?

Surely the masks were because the staff were working close to a dusty floor to prevent any allergic reaction for which antibiotics would be useless?

Hope the ships doctor was able to test you to confirm it was a bacterial infection rather than a virus so that he did not expose you to the risks associated with taking unnecessary antibiotics.

We got the antibiotics on ths first visit, kind of the "Take two aspirins and call me in the morning." Approach. When it did not help my wife she got a morning and afternoon lung treatment during our day in San Francisco and she was feeling better by the time we got to Vancouver.

totally agree. We were on the Spirit several years ago and they were just coming out of dry dock. Some of the carpets were not completely installed and yes, the workers were wearing masks because of the closeness to the laying of the carpet I would guess. I have had workers doing repairs on our house that were wearing masks. I don't think this is unusual at all.

I do sympathize with the guests who feel they should have been told ahead of time, but as for someone claiming they have run up $5800 because of breathing problems, I say BULL. I have no idea if the captain knew this ahead of time, I do wonder what could have been done to prevent this. It is not good PR for NCL and is not totally fair to the guests. On the other hand I have been on many vacations, both on ships and AI or hotel resorts where work is being done by contractors and we just make a point of doing our best to live with it. Repairs are always being done somewhere on a ship.

We were on the Sun for the March 9th sailing. Construction had already started at that time. One half of deck 12 was completely closed and Champs bar was closed the majority of the cruise. This was a sold out spring break cruise, seating was very hard to come by unless you were out at 7am. There was a lot of noise from the construction, not my idea of a relaxing cruise. The bars were also out of mix to make strawberry daiquiris and pina coladas. Had I known there would have been construction done during my vacation I would have booked something else. Shame on you NCL for the lack of communication.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Sun for the March 9th sailing. Construction had already started at that time. One half of deck 12 was completely closed and Champs bar was closed the majority of the cruise. This was a sold out spring break cruise, seating was very hard to come by unless you were out at 7am. There was a lot of noise from the construction, not my idea of a relaxing cruise. The bars were also out of mix to make strawberry daiquiris and pina coladas. Had I known there would have been construction done during my vacation I would have booked something else. Shame on you NCL for the lack of communication.

I understand your frustration but it isn't the fault of the construction they ran out of some mixes. We had that happen one time when they ran out of our favorite wine. More than anything this is another reason for not sailing during spring break unless you have to. We try to avoid sailing from the first week in March til a week after Easter.

This has to do with construction but not on the actual ship. In August I paid for a small cabana on Great Stirrup Caye and when we arrived I was shocked. At the end of the row of cabanas was a chain link fence and construction equipment for the construction of the Haven cabanas. I knew about the construction ahead of time but the equipment was being used to move sand!! This went on for a continuous hour and then I mentioned the noise to the beverage manager who was checking on guests. They finally turned off the equipment. It was turned on and off for 10 min or so during the whole day and then 30 minutes before we left (and we went back to the Gem early) they started construction again. Yes it was an eyesore but we could have overlooked that but noise and exhaust fumes from the running equipment was unacceptable.I would have hated to be in the cabana at the end right next to the running equipment.

I understand your frustration but it isn't the fault of the construction they ran out of some mixes. We had that happen one time when they ran out of our favorite wine. More than anything this is another reason for not sailing during spring break unless you have to. We try to avoid sailing from the first week in March til a week after Easter.

We were told when a ship is going into dry dock they run supplies down, so them running out early in the cruise IMO has everything to do with it.