Am I tipping too much?

ted1973

Hi! We are going on our 6th Celebrity cruise this Sunday (4/1-8/18 Celebrity Silhouette) and I can never remember exactly how much I tipped, but I do have a general idea. Now I am perplexed and wondering if I am over extra tipping! Here's what I tip for a family of 4 on a 7 night cruise:

Waiter / Steward $140 - 150

Ass't Waiter / Steward $100 - 125

Sommelier $80

Bar Runner $60

Favorite Bartenders $50 - 60

Thanks for your feedback!

Hi! We are going on our 6th Celebrity cruise this Sunday (4/1-8/18 Celebrity Silhouette) and I can never remember exactly how much I tipped, but I do have a general idea. Now I am perplexed and wondering if I am over extra tipping! Here's what I tip for a family of 4 on a 7 night cruise:

Sommelier $80

Bar Runner $60

Is that on top of the daily service charge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is in addition to the automatic gratuities? We are a family of only two so perhaps there is a bit more to cleaning a cabin of four....but I've only given about $40 when I thought the steward was extremely personable. We've never asked for anything out of the ordinary except for a blanket. If you are asking for lots of extras then perhaps more... We have select dining and so the waiters change but even so I would feel comfortable with the automatic gratuities unless I had asked for something special. We tend to tip a couple of bucks per drink order as we go.... I would think you are over tipping but that is entirely up to you.

We rely on the automatic gratuities but give our waitstaff (in Blu) and our cabin attendant an extra $20 or $30 depending upon the service. We also tip the sommelier something extra when presented with the wine bill and give our usual waiter in the Celebrity Elite cocktail hour an extra $5 or $10 (depending on the length of the cruise). The staff seems pleased with those amounts.

We rely on the automatic gratuities but give our waitstaff (in Blu) and our cabin attendant an extra $20 or $30 depending upon the service. We also tip the sommelier something extra when presented with the wine bill and give our usual waiter in the Celebrity Elite cocktail hour an extra $5 or $10 (depending on the length of the cruise). The staff seems pleased with those amounts.

Ditto

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is in addition to the automatic gratuities? We are a family of only two so perhaps there is a bit more to cleaning a cabin of four....but I've only given about $40 when I thought the steward was extremely personable. We've never asked for anything out of the ordinary except for a blanket. If you are asking for lots of extras then perhaps more... We have select dining and so the waiters change but even so I would feel comfortable with the automatic gratuities unless I had asked for something special. We tend to tip a couple of bucks per drink order as we go.... I would think you are over tipping but that is entirely up to you.

This is also our approach.

This is more in line with what we tip.

Yeah, until you turn your back, lol. As far as how they react to your face....how else would you expect them to react? I'm sure they would seem pleased even if you handed them a single dollar bill for the week. That doesn't mean that's how they really feel.

Surely the amount you tip is entirely up to you, depending upon how much you want to give and how good the service is. Tipping "rules" vary from country to country and from cruise line to cruise line. Give what you want and don't bother with how much or how little there give.

Thanks everyone. We always get the premium drink package (and get our money's worth), eat in the main dining room almost every night, and frequent the same bars. We are not fussy guests, but appreciate when someone remembers what we like and don't like. Being accosted with my teenager son's socks is probably worth double in hazard pay.

In addition to the prepaid gratuities.

Yes, you're tipping too much. (You asked!) If that's what you want to tip, though, go ahead.

I just don't see tipping the wait team an extra $240-$275 as necessary unless you're asking for an exceptional number of special requests.

Yes, you're tipping too much. (You asked!) If that's what you want to tip, though, go ahead.

I just don't see tipping the wait team an extra $240-$275 as necessary unless you're asking for an exceptional number of special requests.

I also agree - the bar staff is already getting 18% on every drink you order and you are automatically also paying the daily gratuity with your cabin. Maybe some extra at the end of the cruise...but paying $4 to $5 tip on each drink? Sorry, too much in my opinion.

We usually tip $40-50 for the steward total. $5 at each breakfast and lunch (provided they keep our coffee and wine topped up) and $10 for dinner. Usually a couple of dollars for every two drinks for me and the misses. We do pay the pre assisnged daily gratuities and have the beverage package.

Your giving out 500 bucks in addition to auto gratuities??? I'd say you are way over tipping. I thought 20-30 bucks to someone who has been really good was ballpark. We are easy keepers so don't require much.

When we were travelling with our kids in the cabin, back in the days of the little envelopes for everyone, we tipped significantly more than the suggested amount because we were a lot of work. No matter how hard I tried to keep up with things, there was always a lot for the cabin steward to do. Additionally, the dining room staff always went over and above to make sure the kids had what they needed and made our dining room experience great. Tip what you are comfortable with and let it go at that.

Sommelier $80

Bar Runner $60

Yes

We're just two adults & clean/neat in cabin; plus rarely ask for much in MDR - very easy going. My DH knows what it's like to wait tables from his younger years. Some people are horrible and nasty to the point of abusive - and many managers won't stick up for their staff - they always side with customers. So we both like to tip most servers well to compensate for the #&%* clientele. LOL.

Especially when someone smiles and seems glad to help us rather than bored or pained to be there.

We usually tip 30-40 to room attendant

We do select dining and have had a few MDR servers on past cruises that never offered up any menu suggestions when we asked and barely looked at us or greeted us. I know they still worked very hard, but we didn't tip extra beyond normal grats for them.

Last time, we had an amazing waiter/assistant waiter duo- so friendly, fun and helpful. We asked for their section every night. Tipped 50 to waiter; 30 to Asst waiter. They deserved every penny. Probably should have left more.

We tip $1/drink to bartenders, since they're already getting 18% on every drink. (Unlike the pooled grats that so many different people must split.)