from one newbie to other newbies

dianedmg

Just got home from a cruise on PG in March. First I would like to say if you are lucky enough to experience this cruise and French Polynesia than you are very lucky indeed. We saw unbelievable beauty that makes your jaw drop on a daily, hourly basis. The Great thing about this cruise is it's small and never felt crowded. The staff is the sweetest most helpful hardworking folks you will ever find. Our room 765 was bigger than we imagined. Bed comfortable, bathroom roomy, and lots of storage. We had an extra big balcony and we were out there everyday often. I don't think we would have enjoyed ourselves half as much if we did not have a balcony. We ate breakfast there every morning and watched the sun come up. We had evening drinks out there. We loved it, except when smokers were right upstairs and the smoke would come down, so if you're sensitive to that, let me tell you it's an issue. Many times I had to come inside because of someones second hand cigarette or cigar smoke. Also, when the band played you could hear that as well. Inside cabin with balcony door shut, it was very quiet. Only time we heard noise was when they were moving furniture upstairs or cleaning the cabin next door. The food was not as good as I expected. The buffets were great, but the dinners were not to my or my husbands liking. Others liked the food very much, so it might just be us.

I would heartily recommend this cruise to anyone who can afford it, or like us came on my husbands company, you should do it, you will never forget it!

Thanks for your review, sounds like you had a great experience. These newbies go in two months and we bit the bullet and booked a balcony cabin as well. We are not on the aft as you were, but we got a great location on deck 7 steps away from the aft stairs and the two restaurants.

Sorry you didn't find the dinners that great, we are really looking forward to the local seafood. Food is always subjective, what one person likes ...

Doug and Linda

One thing to consider, which is consistent with dianedmg's original post. She talks a lot about all the great times they had on the ship in various places not including her cabin. That has been our experience, which is why when we are on the PG we book the tiny but perfect cabins on deck 4. For us, the PG is the only ship for which having a comparatively large cabin with a balcony is not that important. If course "your mileage may vary."

One thing to consider, which is consistent with dianedmg's original post. She talks a lot about all the great times they had on the ship in various places not including her cabin. That has been our experience, which is why when we are on the PG we book the tiny but perfect cabins on deck 4. For us, the PG is the only ship for which having a comparatively large cabin with a balcony is not that important. If course "your mileage may vary."

In fact, I did book a deck 4 window cabin to begin with, but I just couldn't help myself when I thought of all those 11 mornings that I would want to be on our cabin's balcony at sunrise(or before as I typically get up around 5am) while my Wife sleeps as long as possible. And, also all those late afternoons when I typically get ready for dinner in about 5 minutes and then wait while my Wife gets prettied up(takes a while longer than 5 minutes, but always worth it). And, I know I could go up a few flights to deck 8, but for me these times justify having a balcony. Granted the extra cost is very significant and if we become repeaters, the next time I may save the money as most repeaters that post here have done.

To each his own,

Doug

Edited by doug52
grammar

Having a balcony has never been a big deal to me but it is a big deal to my better half. I’m usually up early with my camera in hand running around the open decks so I have a beautiful view. However, my better half likes putting on her make up and drinking her coffee on the balcony as we enter a lagoon. I must say I love when we get upgraded to a balcony cabin which does happen occasionally :-) I know it makes my better half happy.

Doug,

We also booked a balcony mid ship for our PG, 10 night 2013 cruise after much debate. For us it was a huge splurge and we debated back and fourth as many repeater opinions prefer to book a room on deck four and travel more often which also makes good sense. We loved it ! Early morning coffee along with the occasional breakfast ( when we had an early excursion ) was spectacular. Our favorite routine was coming back to our room after being off the ship most of the day and ordering some wine along with a fruit/cheese plate to relax on the balcony. We are currently awaiting the 2020 schedule and hope to plan our second PG cruise , not sure if we will return to our balcony or level 4. After our amazing cruise I learned there is no wrong decision regarding the rooms as long as you are on the PG it will be wonderful.

Donna

Indeed, as Donna says, there are no wrong decision about which cabin on the PG. We once stayed on deck 8, whose cabins are a bit larger, have a balcony, and are just steps from the pool bar (!) and it was lovely. If the cost were the same as the tiny perfect ones on deck 4, I'd choose deck 8 in a heartbeat.

Doug,

We also booked a balcony mid ship for our PG, 10 night 2013 cruise after much debate. For us it was a huge splurge and we debated back and fourth as many repeater opinions prefer to book a room on deck four and travel more often which also makes good sense. We loved it ! Early morning coffee along with the occasional breakfast ( when we had an early excursion ) was spectacular. Our favorite routine was coming back to our room after being off the ship most of the day and ordering some wine along with a fruit/cheese plate to relax on the balcony. We are currently awaiting the 2020 schedule and hope to plan our second PG cruise , not sure if we will return to our balcony or level 4. After our amazing cruise I learned there is no wrong decision regarding the rooms as long as you are on the PG it will be wonderful.

Donna

Donna, you hit the nail on the head with your reasoning. We debated back and forth as well, and then decided let's splurge this time as we are so used to having balconies on all our previous cruises.

I am already thinking that if we do return, we go with a deck 4 cabin on the 10 day itinerary. And then splurge on maybe a week land based, either returning to Vahine Private resort(4 nights this cruise) or maybe going to one of the two BB resorts through PG.

We leave in 58 days(but who's counting;p)!!

Indeed, as Donna says, there are no wrong decision about which cabin on the PG. We once stayed on deck 8, whose cabins are a bit larger, have a balcony, and are just steps from the pool bar (!) and it was lovely. If the cost were the same as the tiny perfect ones on deck 4, I'd choose deck 8 in a heartbeat.

I agree Deck 8 looks fabulous for its proximity to the pool and pool bar ;). Too expensive for us, and not to mention they are all gone anyway for this cruise. However, our 7th deck cabin is right across from the aft stairway, so one flight of steps up and we are at the pool and La Palette. One flight of steps down and we are at La Veranda, and one more flight down and we are at L'Etoile. This is ideal for my Wife as she sometimes has digestion issues and being that close to the room from the restaurants is helpful for her.

And, as you both say, there really is no wrong decision on PG as it is so much more intimate than the mass market ships we have taken so far. I am worried that this trip may spoil us so much that we will be shifting and spending more yearly with the likes of Regent, Seabourne, etc to try to rival the experience on PG.

Or, maybe we will just plan yearly or every other year trips to PG as many of you have done.:D

Doug

Looking forward to your review Doug after your back and settled. You mentioned the 10 night as a possible future cruise. We have nothing to compare it to but combined it with a pre-cruise stay and it was perfect for us, so much so we may repeat the same itinerary when we return. Safe travels, Donna

As David said, we once lucked out into a deck 8 cabin via a last-minute upsell. And it is a lovely location. Oddly, I used the balcony very little (and I'm a balcony person), because it was just too hot most of the time. When anchored, the ship swings around, so no matter what time of day, you're bound to be in the sun part of the time. At sea, it will depend on the time of day, but I still didn't seems to use it much. I would certainly buy an upsell to a balcony again, although that seems to happen rarely these days since the ship seems to be selling very well.

As David said, we once lucked out into a deck 8 cabin via a last-minute upsell. And it is a lovely location. Oddly, I used the balcony very little (and I'm a balcony person), because it was just too hot most of the time. When anchored, the ship swings around, so no matter what time of day, you're bound to be in the sun part of the time. At sea, it will depend on the time of day, but I still didn't seems to use it much. I would certainly buy an upsell to a balcony again, although that seems to happen rarely these days since the ship seems to be selling very well.

Wendy, yes in the heat of the day I doubt I will be out on the balcony, should be up at the pool if we are not out on an excursion. I like to use the balcony when it is cool, early in the morning and late in the afternoon, and sometimes late in the evening with a cocktail before bed.

And, our cruise is selling very well, only 5 porthole cabins left today, all other categories sold. Although one veranda suite keeps coming on and off availability every couple of days :confused:.

Doug