Skagway White Pass Railroad Tour

carlsbadguy

Traveling on Celebrity Solstice this August and want to do the White Pass Railroad in Skagway. There are many tour options to chose from both from the ship and privately. There is a 3.5 hour excursion or I am leaning towards the 7.5 hour Yukon Rail and Bus Excursion through Chilkoot Charters. For people that did the 7.5 hour tour was it too long?

My very favorite is the Lake Bennett excursion. It covers a long section that no one ever sees by road. I will also do the 7.5 hour excursion. I love getting into the Yukon! I don’t do the summit at all. It’s too short and you miss much of the best scenery. Of course, I’ve also done the train a dozen times or more, so the summit trip isn’t as enjoyable for me as it might be for a newbie.

We went on the White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion last time we were there. I don't know that I would want to be on the train both ways. I would take the bus one way and the train back if that is an option. We liked the shorter trip we could explore the area around Skagway and the town itself. I think the Bennet lake would be fun to see.

I did the Chilkoot 7.5 hour Yukon Rail & Bus tour last July. We left at 8:30 a.m. heading north on the van. We probably had 18 people on the van that held about 25. We then made about a dozen stops on the way up and our driver coordinated the stops so we weren't there with the full size charter buses. He was quite informative and offered to take pictures of us at several of the stops.

After lunch, we caught the train to return to Skagway and the ride was under 2 hours which was just right to me. Our driver met us back in Skagway and offered to drop us off downtown or back at the ship. I chose downtown and took my time walking back to the ship.

If you choose this route, sit on the right side of the van going up and on the right side of the train returning. That will give you the best views. Our train car had plenty of open seats so it wouldn't be a problem to switch around.

Enjoy Alaska!

Patti

We would like to do the 7.5 tour but it will leave no time in Skagway { 1 HR. } We really have no choice but to do the 3.5 train tour !

There are choices. With your short time preference, you can either the round trip train, or the one way train, one way summit road trip.

I too will always prefer the Lake Bennett train, all the others, above are referring to the summit/Fraser train with is different.

These are all excellent options- depending on the preferences. for history and superior scenery, Lake Bennett is the winner. Second for the history slant is the Fraser/Emerald Lake combo. shorter time investment, is either a round trip train, or Fraser/summit combo.

Add to the mix at least a 5 hour time investment for a South Klondike Highway road trip

I'm a long time customer of Dyea Dave who has great tours, with the options for the train combos.

We did the Bus / Train combo tour to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot and enjoyed it. It was not too long for us and we still had time to spend in town when we returned, but our ship did not depart until 8:00 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To piggy back on the question, how MUCH better is the 7.5 hour Yukon/train option vs the summit/train tours? I originally booked the 7.5 hour yukon/puppies/train trip through Chilkoot. But, then switched to the 3.5 hour summit/train tour after my husband asked if we really want to do a bus/train ride for almost 8 hours with the kids. I think the 10 year old could handle it but not my particular 7 year old. We did Sequoia/Kings Canyon/Yosemite last year and the now 7 year old’s disillusionment at going to see trees AGAIN (as opposed to playing in a pool or getting ice cream) was pretty funny.

To piggy back on the question, how MUCH better is the 7.5 hour Yukon/train option vs the summit/train tours? I originally booked the 7.5 hour yukon/puppies/train trip through Chilkoot. But, then switched to the 3.5 hour summit/train tour after my husband asked if we really want to do a bus/train ride for almost 8 hours with the kids. I think the 10 year old could handle it but not my particular 7 year old. We did Sequoia/Kings Canyon/Yosemite last year and the now 7 year old’s disillusionment at going to see trees AGAIN (as opposed to playing in a pool or getting ice cream) was pretty funny.

I have done both and the Yukon Trip is substantially better, in my opinion. Only you know your kids and how they may react. If you do the longer excursion, I would suggest the bus first. That way if they get bored on the way up you can always remind them they’re going to get to play with the puppies soon. After that you can remind them that they have the train ride to look forward to. And they wouldn’t be the first to take a nap in the train if they get bored / tired. [emoji846]

In your case- I'd suggest- if either you or your husband has the interest. 3 of you take a one way train to Fraser, and the other drive to Fraser and all of you continue on to Emerald Lake. You can stop when and where you want, including a superior kennel compared to the inclusion of Caribou Crossing with the Chilkoot tour. I'd suggest, if even a remote possibility you rent a car from Avis NOW. Then cancel if needed.

No worry about the kids. let them out of the car, and enjoy the adventures.

Here is the alternative kennel vendor to consider. very well run, and I had another stop there last season. http://www.tagishlakekennel.com/ Superior option for "crowds" and "real". :)

My very favorite is the Lake Bennett excursion. It covers a long section that no one ever sees by road. I will also do the 7.5 hour excursion. I love getting into the Yukon! I don’t do the summit at all. It’s too short and you miss much of the best scenery. Of course, I’ve also done the train a dozen times or more, so the summit trip isn’t as enjoyable for me as it might be for a newbie.

I've just booked a Princess Alaska cruise and looking at excursions. DH and I took the White Pass Railway/Yukon excursion to Carcross. Bus up, train back. We loved it. This time DD is coming with me...her first time. The trip to Lake Bennett is significantly more expensive. Have you done both? Pros and Cons? Thanks for your input.

Sandy :)

I've just booked a Princess Alaska cruise and looking at excursions. DH and I took the White Pass Railway/Yukon excursion to Carcross. Bus up, train back. We loved it. This time DD is coming with me...her first time. The trip to Lake Bennett is significantly more expensive. Have you done both? Pros and Cons? Thanks for your input.

Not Wolfie, but, anyone who has done the Lake Bennett train has done, "both", trains. A reason to consider the Lake Bennett train is for the historic stop and ability to walk about, along with the scenic vista that is not available to experience any other way.

I have done- "both", separately, multiple times.

We did the Bus / Train combo tour to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot and enjoyed it. It was not too long for us and we still had time to spend in town when we returned, but our ship did not depart until 8:00 PM.

JT Was there are reason you chose to do the bus first vs the train? I am considering the exact same tour with Chilkoot. My thoughts is that it would be less frantic getting off the ship in time (with the bus leaving at 8.30) but my real deciding factor would be based on the best choice for seeing the sights. And did you get enough time playing with the puppies?! I am travelling in the USA/Canada for 2 months and will be missing my beagles so I will need a dog fix by then.

If you choose this route, sit on the right side of the van going up and on the right side of the train returning. That will give you the best views. Our train car had plenty of open seats so it wouldn't be a problem to switch around.

Enjoy Alaska!

Patti

Thanks for your seating suggestion. I was just wondering about that!

JT Was there are reason you chose to do the bus first vs the train? I am considering the exact same tour with Chilkoot. My thoughts is that it would be less frantic getting off the ship in time (with the bus leaving at 8.30) but my real deciding factor would be based on the best choice for seeing the sights. And did you get enough time playing with the puppies?! I am travelling in the USA/Canada for 2 months and will be missing my beagles so I will need a dog fix by then.

We chose the bus first on the theory (unproven) that there is a higher potential for fog in the morning than the afternoon. It worked out for us that there was a slight amount of fog on the way up, but was clear on the way back down on the train.

We also seemed to be ahead of the larger crowds / buses on the way up and the train was not crowded on the return trip. We also saw 2 bears on the bus portion, but probably was more luck than time of day.

We did the dog cart ride, so we didn’t have a lot of time with the puppies. If you don’t do the dog cart ride, I believe you can still get in to see the puppies and have more time with them. Just note that they were probably 3-6 months old and not very playful. They were more interested in sleeping then they weren’t playing during the time we were there.

I wasn't under the impression that you get to choose whether you do the bus first or the train first. Where is that option?

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I wasn't under the impression that you get to choose whether you do the bus first or the train first. Where is that option?

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

https://chilkootcharters.com/reservations/ this is the link for my date of travel. If you look in the details it says bus first at 8.30 and train 7.30. Not sure if this is available on all dates though. Based on what I've been reading and for the slight delay to all the disembarking craziness that I've experienced cruising in the South Pacific I'm planning on doing the bus first.

If you look in the details it says bus first at 8.30 and train 7.30.

Our excursion (from a different source) is at 7:30 but that could very well be a bus first. We don't know. It is the only time the excursion is being offered.

I did the Chilkoot 7.5 hour Yukon Rail & Bus tour last July. W

After lunch, we caught the train to return to Skagway and the ride was under 2 hours which was just right to me. Our driver met us back in Skagway and offered to drop us off downtown or back at the ship. I chose downtown and took my time walking back to the ship.

Patti

Was the lunch included in the price with Chilkoot? It says on the website that 'lunch is waiting for you' which I assumed means included but in my emails with Dyea Dave to compare the 2 companies you have to buy your own (email says under $15).

Was the lunch included in the price with Chilkoot? It says on the website that 'lunch is waiting for you' which I assumed means included but in my emails with Dyea Dave to compare the 2 companies you have to buy your own (email says under $15).

While at Caribou Crossing Trading Post, a piping hot BBQ chicken lunch with coleslaw, baked potato and all-you-can-eat cake donuts awaits you as well as “FREE ADMISSION” to the Yukon Wildlife Museum. Visit an authentic dog musher camp and enjoy “FREE ADMISSION” to pet the husky puppies!

I copied the above statement from the Chilkoot website for the Yukon Bus & Rail Tour. Lunch is included but it's not a huge amount of food. And you get wooden utensils for eating! We didn't have to wait long to eat and then there's time to wander the property. The Wildlife Museum is pretty impressive and you can take a look at the outdoor animals, etc.

I liked Chilkoot because everything was pre-arranged and we had about 18 folks on our tour. The tour guide was also informative and enjoyable. I chose the 8:30 a.m. time slot just because I had 14 hours in port and didn't want to be leaving the ship at 7 a.m. to join a tour. After the tour, I walked through downtown Skagway and back to the ship.

Enjoy your trip!

Patti

Oh! Thanks for the reminder. It is quickly getting to the point in time when we need to let our excursion operators know of dietary restrictions. Does anyone have any info on what the "hearty lunch" often included on White Pass excursions to Bennett Lake includes?

Not Wolfie, but, anyone who has done the Lake Bennett train has done, "both", trains. A reason to consider the Lake Bennett train is for the historic stop and ability to walk about, along with the scenic vista that is not available to experience any other way.

I have done- "both", separately, multiple times.

Thanks Budget Queen. DD and I decided on the train which includes Lake Bennett. It is train first, then bus so thinking best views would be on the left. Am I correct? Also wondering if anyone has tried the caribou sausage.