iD docs questions

brtls5

We are booked to cruise next March. My adult daughter is coming with her daughter who will be 2 years at the time. She is a single mom. I think the plan is to get her a passport but will she need to bring a birth certificate to show she is the only parent? Anyone have experience with this?

We are booked to cruise next March. My adult daughter is coming with her daughter who will be 2 years at the time. She is a single mom. I think the plan is to get her a passport but will she need to bring a birth certificate to show she is the only parent? Anyone have experience with this?

We did this several years ago with our daughter and 10 month old granddaughter. We obtained a passport for her, and I do not believe our daughter brought the BC. But it seems like it might be a good idea, and extra assurance, so no harm to bring it along also.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Theoretically, having a passport for a minor child would be sufficient because in order to obtain a passport for a minor, each parent named on the BC must agree to the issuance of the passport, implying that travel outside of the US is granted by each parent. However, a parent could argue that their permission to travel is not world-wide, e.g. by agreeing to the passport, they are agreeing to have minor child travel to Country X but not Country Y.

Therefore, Mom should have additional documentation to back up her assertion that she can travel alone with the minor child.

1. If the BC names only one parent, that is sufficient proof and can be submitted in lieu of or in addition to the passport for a closed loop cruise. (If it is not a closed loop cruise, the BC and PPT must both be submitted.)

2. If the BC names 2 parents, then the parent taking the child must either: a) provide a notarized authorization from the non-traveling parent allowing the travel or b) provide a legal document showing that the traveling parent has sole custody of the child.

Theoretically, having a passport for a minor child would be sufficient because in order to obtain a passport for a minor, each parent named on the BC must agree to the issuance of the passport, implying that travel outside of the US is granted by each parent. However, a parent could argue that their permission to travel is not world-wide, e.g. by agreeing to the passport, they are agreeing to have minor child travel to Country X but not Country Y.

Therefore, Mom should have additional documentation to back up her assertion that she can travel alone with the minor child.

1. If the BC names only one parent, that is sufficient proof and can be submitted in lieu of or in addition to the passport for a closed loop cruise. (If it is not a closed loop cruise, the BC and PPT must both be submitted.)

2. If the BC names 2 parents, then the parent taking the child must either: a) provide a notarized authorization from the non-traveling parent allowing the travel or b) provide a legal document showing that the traveling parent has sole custody of the child.

Where did you get your information from?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Right from Carnival website

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Guests should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel

documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper

travel documentation.

I am a single dad that adopted my two boys, my name is the only one on the Birth certificate.

I called carnival and they said to bring birth certificate, I am using the boys passport.

I leave tomorrow I will tell you all if they ask for it.

I am a single dad that adopted my two boys, my name is the only one on the Birth certificate.

I called carnival and they said to bring birth certificate, I am using the boys passport.

I leave tomorrow I will tell you all if they ask for it.

They won't.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Great thank you everyone! Yes she is the only named parent on birth certificate.

If she is the only named parent on birth certificate then just bring a copy of that with you in case they ask and she will be fine. There is no other parent of record in her case to worry about.

Does the letter need to be notarized?

quote=wemjam;55713333]Right from Carnival website

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Guests should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel

documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper

travel documentation.

Does the letter need to be notarized?

quote=wemjam;55713333]Right from Carnival website

Traveling with a Minor

travel documentation.

Yes, should be notarized. Someone (a grandparent) just posted another post about what a difficult time they had getting through customs on way home with their grandchild

Everyone likes to say things like Oh, the never ask, don't worry about it, etc. But you never know when you are going to get the customs agent that wants to stick to the letter of the law

You will only (possibly)have an issue at end of cruise when customs officer may ask for information. But I assume her last name and yours are the same...so I doubt they will even ask for a letter

Yep my daughters last name and grandbaby's name are the same as ours. Maybe they'll just assume they're both our children 😂

Thanks for replies. I feel much better

You will only (possibly)have an issue at end of cruise when customs officer may ask for information. But I assume her last name and yours are the same...so I doubt they will even ask for a letter

I've been on 4 cruises with only my son and myself. He had a passport for all 4 and the 1st 2 I brought a letter from his dad but was never asked for it. I was told that the passport serves as the letter. If possible I would bring the letter, notarized, but only present it if asked. Never brought his birth certificate since he has the passport.