Royal Caribbean does not care about disabled people

I am so happy that so many people offer useless advice to me without knowing my situation. I'm glad you can rent a scooter for $125.00. Good for you. Does that help me with my father who is severely visually impaired? I think not. Do you really want someone driving around on the ship on a scooter that is visually impaired or can not walk without assistance? He can't drive a car and you want him to drive a scooter onboard. Great. My father is fiercely independent and if he needs a little help along the way, what is the issue? Again, walk in my shoes then open your big mouth.

Before blasting a person’s attempts to be helpful, please reread what he has written. He was able to PURCHASE a transport chair (which appears to be what your father needs to board the ship) for $125. How do you intend for him to get around once on the ship or on excursions? My mom went blind from a stroke in her early ‘80’s and needed her own chair to get around when out and about even though she could walk around the house fairly well.

The last cruise my mother came on was Oasis. She could walk, but did have difficulty after short distances so we rented a wheelchair for her. The crew couldn’t have been nicer to her. The waiters would see us coming and would come and push her to the table and help her to her seat. There were many examples of that. However, the last time we left from San Juan, we were at the pier before they were letting people in the terminal. There was a long line outside in the heat. This was a couple of years before we started renting wheelchairs. I went up and asked security if it would be possible for my mother to go just inside the door where I could see some chairs. No dice. So maybe the problem is with the operations of the San Juan terminal. Not sure who is responsible for that.

The last cruise my mother came on was Oasis. She could walk, but did have difficulty after short distances so we rented a wheelchair for her. The crew couldn’t have been nicer to her. The waiters would see us coming and would come and push her to the table and help her to her seat. There were many examples of that. However, the last time we left from San Juan, we were at the pier before they were letting people in the terminal. There was a long line outside in the heat. This was a couple of years before we started renting wheelchairs. I went up and asked security if it would be possible for my mother to go just inside the door where I could see some chairs. No dice. So maybe the problem is with the operations of the San Juan terminal. Not sure who is responsible for that.

Thank you for confirming my issue. Finally someone gets it. :D All the wheelchair, scooter and transport chair advice did not apply to my original issue.

Ok, since some members on this thread take great pleasure in attacking me and assuming that I am an irresponsible cheap person, I would like to clarify my personal situation. I did everything possible to inform Royal Caribbean of my father's disability and still I had the experience I relayed in my original post. Whether I had my own chair or not, he still needed to be wheeled onboard by the staff as I could not do it. Whether I had a long flight (which I didn't) or not, what does that have to do with my situation? I'm not venting, I am simply relaying my experience. I get it, my father is not special, but he deserves to be treated in a dignified manner as did the other guests that were waiting out in the heat for at least an hour. Maybe a holding area inside could have been provided, I don't know, but it seems to be common sense that you do not let elderly people stay out in the heat for an extended period of time. I'm glad others had great experiences with their wheelchair assistance, but I did not. That is my experience and no one here can speak or assume anything on my behalf. Having said that, Royal Caribbean can work with the local port authorities by pointing out the flaws in their operation and suggesting changes to the way things are handled. Is it acceptable for Royal Caribbean to say oh well, we can't provide input to the port management to make improvements in dealing with persons with disabilities? I think not. When you walk in my shoes you can criticize, otherwise keep the personal attacks to yourselves. If people do not have the right to freely express their opinions without being attacked by insensitive people that can not comment on my personal situation, then what is the point of posting anything on this board.

Not all was bad, I will say that my experience with disembarkation today was excellent. I made sure I was up early so that my name was first on the list and we got off the ship at our allotted time. The person that was handling the disembarkation was excellent. No problems with disembarkation.

When you give your thread a blanket title like "Royal Caribbean Does Not Care About Disabled People," I'm afraid you're going to provoke some heated responses. I would like to know if, after your time on board and your disembarkation, would you still make that statement?

My wife is a stroke survivor and in a wheel chair. We have never had a problem. If your father was in wheel chair, could you have pushed him on board yourself?

My husband requires wheel chair assistance as he cannot walk more than several feet without excruciating pain and needs to rest. He uses a cane with a seat, but must stop for several minutes. It’s just too hard for him to navigate the long lines and crowd. He does not bring a wheelchair. If he did, there is no way I would be able to wheel him up the gang plank. I am amazed at the crew members’ strength when they push him up the steep ramps. We tip them very generously to express our appreciation. I think there have been some folks who have abused the service - those who could walk but feel they’ll get on board faster with assistance. Royal used to be very accommodating to all. But now, unfortunately, Royal has put these guests and guests who truly require assistance at the end of the line. It’s happened on our last few cruises. If there was a better way for us to get onboard, we would love to do it. PS.....we have witnessed many people who, after becoming frustrated with the long wait, give up and walk onboard.

When you give your thread a blanket title like "Royal Caribbean Does Not Care About Disabled People," I'm afraid you're going to provoke some heated responses. I would like to know if, after your time on board and your disembarkation, would you still make that statement?

Ok, I guess in retrospect, making a blanket statement like I did was probably not the ideal thing to do, but at the time I believed it to accurately reflect my personal situation and that of the others waiting outside in hot humid conditions. No one did care--whether it is the ultimate responsibility of the local port authority or Royal Caribbean, I can't say. All I know is what happened to my father and the others sitting outside showed a lack of caring and empathy for those that are less fortunate healthwise than that of the masses that were quickly getting out of the heat and inside the terminal facility. Why can't a small area inside be dedicated for persons with disabilities to wait for assistance? If it takes an hour to board, so be it, but at least elderly people are not out in the heat. Yes people do take advantage of disability assistance and for that they should be ashamed, but to make others suffer because of the lack of moral character of some should not be tolerated by Royal Caribbean or any other organization. As I did mention in an earlier post, Royal Caribbean did do a great job with disembarkation no question about it. The staff onboard were professional and made disembarkation process go smoothly. The ball was dropped at embarkation.