Manhattan cruise terminal/parking

We are planning to drive from OH the day before the cruise, probably staying an hour or two away and driving in the next morning. I am a bit apprehensive about the drive into Manhattan, as big city driving is not something I'm used to. When is the rush usually over in the morning to start into the city?

Also, I notice at the Manhattan pier parking garage, it says exit by 1:00. We were hoping to visit the 9/11 Memorial in the morning after we disembark. Can we get to the car, drop our luggage and taxi to the memorial? And what happens if we don't make it back by 1:00? Does the garage actually close so we wouldn't be able to retrieve our car?

The terminal parking (on the roof of the port) is only staffed during the hours people are coming and going. You risk not being able to get back to your car. The entrance to the port is right off the Henry Hudson, so once you cross over, its right there.

The 9/11 Memorial is at the southern end of Manhattan, where the port is at the northern end. I'm not sure I would do a taxi anyways.

Rush hours usually calm somewhat around 10AM but accidents, road maintenance, weather, etc. can change this. Also as one drives to the cruise port the local streets can bog down. A suggestion .... don't stay too far away and leave a bit early even if you become a part of the morning rush.

We are planning to drive from OH the day before the cruise, probably staying an hour or two away and driving in the next morning. I am a bit apprehensive about the drive into Manhattan, as big city driving is not something I'm used to. When is the rush usually over in the morning to start into the city?

Also, I notice at the Manhattan pier parking garage, it says exit by 1:00. We were hoping to visit the 9/11 Memorial in the morning after we disembark. Can we get to the car, drop our luggage and taxi to the memorial? And what happens if we don't make it back by 1:00? Does the garage actually close so we wouldn't be able to retrieve our car?

So here's the thing. If you come to the cruise port from the north, along the Henry Hudson Parkway, you don't need to do any city driving -- the entrance to the port is directly at the end of the highway.

Assuming you're coming in along I-80, you have two major options:

(1) Many cruisers stay in the Parsippany area before the cruise, and then come in on the morning of the cruise over the George Washington Bridge. The GW can be somewhat scary and congested (two levels, 14 lanes), and you need to know to take an exit immediately afterwards to get onto the Henry Hudson. But it's the shortest route.

(2) The other option is to come a little bit north the night before, cross the Tappan Zee bridge, and stay in the Tarrytown area (disclosure: we live near Tarrytown!) If you get on the Saw Mill River Parkway, you'll have a direct shot (neither turning to the left nor to the right) onto the Henry Hudson Parkway to the port. I've driven this often right after the rush hour, and as long as you're hitting NYC after 9:30 or so (have a decent breakfast and you will) it's a pretty clear run. It's about 45 minutes from Tarrytown to the port.

As for going to the memorial afterwards, I'd actually recommend loading up the car and just driving down the West Side Highway (the extension of the Henry Hudson) to the memorial area. Use SpotHero (website or app, Google it) to reserve a parking space in a garage you're comfortable with driving to. Most likely that will be another $30 or so, but the advantage is that your luggage will be packed in the car and you can get on the road directly afterwards. Don't forget that they'll usually charge an extra $10 for a decent-sized SUV or minivan and that you'll need to tip the valet when you pick up the car, but that's how I cope with driving into Manhattan :)

I'm wondering about parking at Port Imperial and taking the ferry to the cruise terminal. After the cruise, ferry back to the car to drop luggage and the ferry to World Financial Center. I like the idea of not driving into Manhattan, but is that too much back and forth? And the ferry is a bit pricey compared to the PATH train. Or after the cruise, ferry back to pick up the car and drive to a PATH station?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We are staying the night before our cruise in NJ and the hotel will transport us over. I am thinking of changing to another option, which would include driving to the port via Henry Hudson. It does look quite easy to manage, esp on a Saturday morning.

However -- how easy is it heading NORTH on the return? Is the access to the highway easy? (also a Saturday morning)

I'm wondering about parking at Port Imperial and taking the ferry to the cruise terminal. After the cruise, ferry back to the car to drop luggage and the ferry to World Financial Center. I like the idea of not driving into Manhattan, but is that too much back and forth? And the ferry is a bit pricey compared to the PATH train. Or after the cruise, ferry back to pick up the car and drive to a PATH station?

I think that would be a really huge hassle even if you weren't intending to return to Manhattan to see the 9/11 Memorial. You really can't beat the convenience of parking right at the pier.

IMO you need to get ride of your luggage at your car.

Driving into Manhattan will cost you a $15 tunnel toll plus a chunk of money to park your car for a couple of hours plus, as you mention, the overall hassle of driving into Manhattan. Consider taking the Hudson-Bergen light rail from Port Imperial to Exchange Place where you can transfer across the Plaza to PATH to World Trade. The light rail is less than 25 minutes to Exchange Place and costs $2.25 for adults and half price for children under 12. PATH is $2.75/pp.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0100.pdf

This schedule is a bit confusing to read. Basically the way it seems to work is that on weekdays trains run about every 20 minutes. You want to take a 8th Street Bayonne train.

We are staying the night before our cruise in NJ and the hotel will transport us over. I am thinking of changing to another option, which would include driving to the port via Henry Hudson. It does look quite easy to manage, esp on a Saturday morning.

However -- how easy is it heading NORTH on the return? Is the access to the highway easy? (also a Saturday morning)

Here are the GW Bridge directions to the Henry Hudson:

Crossing the George Washington Bridge eastbound

If you end up on the upper bridge, you want to be in the far right lane and take the very first exit at the end of the bridge to get onto the Henry Hudson Parkway. If you end up on the lower bridge, you want to be in the far left lane to take the very first exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway.

From either exit you choose the Henry Hudson Southbound.

Driving in Manhattan is not difficult if you don’t attempt to go across town. On a weekend there should be no problem. I actually prefer city driving as opposed to driving with the 18 wheelers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My cruise leaves on a Thursday. Looks like DuckTollerFans' cruise leaves on Saturday.

Ok. Now I see. You’re gonna have the trucks. Lol. Personally, if you can drive all the way to Weehauken you might as well cross over and park at the port. The driving is not much different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I was just going to the cruise pier and nowhere else, I would be more interested in driving to the port. Driving down to the World Trade Center area and parking and finding my way back out makes me more nervous.

As I continue to look at options, I'm wondering about parking at Exchange Place parking garage, taking the ferry across from Paulus Hook to Midtown/Pier 79, returning the same way, then taking PATH from Exchange to WTC after dropping luggage at the car. It looks like an easy walk (about 15 minutes) from Pier 79 along the Hudson to the cruise pier. We will just each have a small roller bag.

If I was just going to the cruise pier and nowhere else, I would be more interested in driving to the port. Driving down to the World Trade Center area and parking and finding my way back out makes me more nervous.

As I continue to look at options, I'm wondering about parking at Exchange Place parking garage, taking the ferry across from Paulus Hook to Midtown/Pier 79, returning the same way, then taking PATH from Exchange to WTC after dropping luggage at the car. It looks like an easy walk (about 15 minutes) from Pier 79 along the Hudson to the cruise pier. We will just each have a small roller bag.

The Paulus Hook Ferry has limited hours that might not fit well with your embarkation and debarkation timings, particularly on a Thur morning. The last weekday morning ferry to 39th St is 9:45 am. The last morning ferry to Paulus Hook is 9:30 am. That's why we always talk about parking at Port Imperial, which has frequent service from 6 am to 1 am weekdays and almost as good service on the weekends.

From the NY waterways web site -

"And now there's a new convenient covered walkway from the station to the terminal across Port Imperial Boulevard."

http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenRoute.aspx

The Paulus Hook Ferry has limited hours that might not fit well with your embarkation and debarkation timings, particularly on a Thur morning. The last weekday morning ferry to 39th St is 9:45 am. The last morning ferry to Paulus Hook is 9:30 am. That's why we always talk about parking at Port Imperial, which has frequent service from 6 am to 1 am weekdays and almost as good service on the weekends.

From the NY waterways web site -

"And now there's a new convenient covered walkway from the station to the terminal across Port Imperial Boulevard."

http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenRoute.aspx

Thanks for all the helpful information. It's a lot to consider. Those last ferry times to/from Paulus Hook may actually be doable for us, but we will take some time to consider all the options.

Thanks for all the helpful information. It's a lot to consider. Those last ferry times to/from Paulus Hook may actually be doable for us, but we will take some time to consider all the options.

They may be doable, but if you miss either connection, you've got a logistical issue with luggage in tow.