What Ship and where are you going Summer 2019?

Been making enquiries. Tui had so many complaints about using Alba Star out of Glasgow that they are no longer using them. Result is they have only one plane from Glasgow hence the reason for afternoon departures for cruises. This plane would be flying early in the day to a resort then returning to Glasgow to fly passengers out to the ship. If the first flight of the day is delayed either on the way out or on the way back to Glasgow this means a very late arrival on the ship for passengers.

Some cruise destinations last year originally had early morning flights when first booked and these were later changed to afternoon flights near to the departure date.

Arriving late on the ship means you have to attend the safety drill for late arrivals, miss the sailaway deck party and the first day of your holiday has gone.

So even if your cruise next year has an early flight it's quite possible that it could change after you have booked leaving you with what is in effect really just a six day holiday.

Why would arriving late on the ship and having to attend safety drill mean missing sailaway deck party?

We fly from gods country every cruise,thankfully from our capital which is normally early doors

If you have a late flight to the ship you have a late flight home so you don't lose a day, what you lose on arrival you gain back on departure. Think about departing from Southampton. the ships leave late afternoon so on a 7 night cruise you get 6 days and an evening.

You might be requested to attend a late muster drill when the deck party is in progress but that would vary by ship and departure port.

Why would arriving late on the ship and having to attend safety drill mean missing sailaway deck party?

We fly from gods country every cruise,thankfully from our capital which is normally early doors

We flew from Glasgow to Malaga with Alba Star last year to join the Celebration. Afternoon flight was delayed by 1 1/ 2 hours. We boarded the ship at 10 pm. The safety drill was held in the theatre for late arrivals. MDR was closed nothing left to do but have a snack in the lido, unpack and go to bed.

If you have a late flight to the ship you have a late flight home so you don't lose a day, what you lose on arrival you gain back on departure. Think about departing from Southampton. the ships leave late afternoon so on a 7 night cruise you get 6 days and an evening.

You might be requested to attend a late muster drill when the deck party is in progress but that would vary by ship and departure port.

Hi Dave, The flights from Glasgow to Palma this season depart about 2:30 in the afternoon with arrival on the ship after 8pm due to collecting bags, transfer to ship, check-in and one hour time difference.

You leave the ship on departure day at 7:45 am for the flight at 11:15 am.

If the flight home was a late one it would be more acceptable but you have no time to visit Palma either on arrival or departure day.

And yes the muster drill for late arrivals does take part during the deck party.

If the flight home was a late one it would be more acceptable but you have no time to visit Palma either on arrival or departure day.

This is why I love doing back to back cruising, so you get a full day to explore the Base port.

Or fly out a day earlier and spend a night in a hotel. Then a nice easy morning to arrive to the ship. I have done this a couple of times.

Going to the Eastern Med on Celebration in just under 2 weeks on 10 May, then Far East on Discovery in Jan 2019. Have just come back from a week on Spirit so I think that will be my lot this year

The only port we haven,t done is Valletta.

Dont ask me why but we,ve always wanted to visit Malta

I should be in Valletta 2 weeks today, never been so really looking forward to it

Going to the Eastern Med on Celebration in just under 2 weeks on 10 May, then Far East on Discovery in Jan 2019. Have just come back from a week on Spirit so I think that will be my lot this year

So nothing Summer 2019?

Enjoy your cruises, but this is a thread for Summer 2019. Just trying to keep it on topic.

Apologies. I answered on the wrong thread
Don't worry we all do, we did Valetta for the first time last year it was May day absolutely fantastic time. Caught the lift up from the port and you can pickup the BRB for a trip round Malta. Be on deck for sail in and out [emoji3]

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

Don't worry we all do, we did Valetta for the first time last year it was May day absolutely fantastic time. Caught the lift up from the port and you can pickup the BRB for a trip round Malta. Be on deck for sail in and out [emoji3]

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

Thank you :D

• 5 months later...
Firstly, thought I would start this new thread to replace the "Don't book with Marella...etc" one.

So we can post positive statements on what we friendly people are doing over Summer 2019.

I know you can't book anything until 5th April 2018 but we have to start somewhere, and as I already have a brochure and have been answering questions in Summer 2019? thread, I thought this new one would be better for posting what we are upto rather than asking questions on "What ship is where?, doing what ports of call? etc"

Ok I confess I am jumping ships. I am going on the new MSC Seasde out of Miami in the yacht club :halo: ok it is for a special occasion. If Marella did this then I would not think twice.:rolleyes: Saying that I got a great deal and as a canny Scot you need to look at the penny's. Really looking forward to this. I think it would be good if Marella did what other cruise lines do and give royalty credits to their loyal customers and look at their premier status as they don't offer the same great value. However this will not stop me from cruising with them as this is what got me into cruising and love the feeling of the smaller ships. Off on the new Explorer on Saturday :D

I am glad I liked Explorer as apart from the Fire and Ice cruise next July I have also booked the Transatlantic Homecoming.
We had Fire and Ice earmarked,but then saw Cities and Ice from Southampton in Sept.Belfast,Dublin and Amsterdam are 3 places I haven't been.Been to Oslo and Southampton more local for us.We booked it on D2 a few weeks ago and was cheaper than booking online.

We had Fire and Ice earmarked,but then saw Cities and Ice from Southampton in Sept.Belfast,Dublin and Amsterdam are 3 places I haven't been.Been to Oslo and Southampton more local for us.We booked it on D2 a few weeks ago and was cheaper than booking online.

Belfast has been replaced with Cork☹️. We booked last week so knew when we booked. Bit disappointed as Belfast is somewhere I’d like to go at some stage.

Belfast has been replaced with Cork☹️. We booked last week so knew when we booked. Bit disappointed as Belfast is somewhere I’d like to go at some stage.
Bit of a bummer.As long as we see Southern Ireland.Thanks for info.

JB9302 - we've just got back from this cruise so assume 2019 will be the same

Livorno - All day trip to Florence and Pisa a must do

Savona - trip to beach was cancelled

Monaco - trip to Monte Carlo - very good

Toulon - trip to St Tropez and Port Grimaud - very good - loved both villages

Barcelona - stayed on ship been 3 times Recommend HoHo bus for the whole day and visit Gaudi House and Famila Sagrada ( book a ticket on line to enter or you will have to queue a long time)

If you arrive early at the ship as most flights do get the courtesy bus to Palma Cathedral and have a wander cos you will have an early leave at the end if your cruise

Love Dream have been on her many times - Waters Edge is great and the shows are fantastic

If you like steak order this in the MDR for a supplement of £9.95 well worth it

Have a super cruise the weather should be good