Single thread - New website issues and discussions

canadarocks

[begin quote=jabcruiser;56334452]I know I am not the most computer savvy person in the world but I generally figure it out after awhile and, if not, my DH always comes to the rescue . But we can't figure this one out so am looking for help. No derogatory comments please as am looking for information relative to the new HAL website and yes I do hate it. Thank you.

Well, the problem I have encountered is that I like to download a copy of the Shore Excursions (EXC ) brochure for my particular cruise then I print out pages I want (I know, so 20th century) , or use it on tablet for quick referencing. Much quicker than signing into website each time I want to reference it and going thru steps on HAL site to get to it. So on new website go to EXC tours and click "download personalized e-brochure" and absolutely nothing downloads, or if it does sure can't seem to find it anywhere in my download files. Any info much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jane[/endquote]

==

I use Safari on Mac. Same area you click "Download Brochure" will pop up "Open Brochure" on same page for you to click.

It is not in your download files.

Hope this helps.

Jane, HAL's website doesn't work the same way on every machine, so the following solution that works for me on my MacBook Pro using Safari might not work for you.

Having logged on to the website and again to access my bookings, I went to EXC Tours, then Buy EXC Tours and Download Personalized eBrochure. Rather than that command actually resulting in the document being downloaded, I was then given the option to Open Personalized eBrochure. With that option chosen, the brochure opened in a new tab. While I wasn't able to download the brochure from there, I was able to print it. Furthermore, my print options allow me to Save As PDF, so I did so.

Hopefully some of the foregoing will help you work it out.

Problem solved. Tried Firefox and worked perfect. Downloaded pdf no problem. Thanks for all the input. But also came across another strange thing. When trying book cruise couple weeks ago I tried signing in using my Samsung tablet and never was successful. Kept getting wrong username or password. So used laptop and sign in fine using my email and password and have been using that to access my booking. Wanted try download the e brochure to the tablet so tried signing in again and still error message. So after several tries decided to use my mariner number instead of email. It worked. Downloaded e-brochure first try also. Just thought kind of strange that email ok on PC but tablet would only take mariner number.

Anyway, all set now. Thanks again. CC community comes through again.

Jane

Problem solved. Tried Firefox and worked perfect. Downloaded pdf no problem. Thanks for all the input. But also came across another strange thing. When trying book cruise couple weeks ago I tried signing in using my Samsung tablet and never was successful. Kept getting wrong username or password. So used laptop and sign in fine using my email and password and have been using that to access my booking. Wanted try download the e brochure to the tablet so tried signing in again and still error message. So after several tries decided to use my mariner number instead of email. It worked. Downloaded e-brochure first try also. Just thought kind of strange that email ok on PC but tablet would only take mariner number.

Anyway, all set now. Thanks again. CC community comes through again.

Jane

I don't even try to access HAL's website on my iPhone or iPad. I'll try to find solutions on my MacBook Pro or Mac, but I'm not going to waste my time finding solutions for multiple platforms.

Someone mentioned a downloaded cruise atlas on the thread about ordering a printed copy (that never arrives). Tried to download one and I could not find it on the website. The old site had a search function for finding information other than a cruise, like the cruise contract or smoking rules. I could not find such a search function on the new site. A google search of HAL's website did not find the cruise atlas.

The Holland America website reeks, but it has always reeked. The new website might be no worse than the old one. The claim that other cruise line websites are as bad is no excuse.

I buy a lot of stuff online, but would never consider searching for and buying a cruise on HAL's website. Maybe it is HAL's way of supporting travel agents. It has to be deliberate, even if it Carnival's new French IT people doing it.

Amazon, Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Choice Hotels, Von Maur, Sears (!), Target, Menard's, LL Bean, Woolrich, Duluth Trading, Zappos, and many more companies, including travel agencies, make online shopping quick and easy. Holland America doesn't.

Someone mentioned a downloaded cruise atlas on the thread about ordering a printed copy (that never arrives). Tried to download one and I could not find it on the website. The old site had a search function for finding information other than a cruise, like the cruise contract or smoking rules. I could not find such a search function on the new site. A google search of HAL's website did not find the cruise atlas.

I had better luck with a simple Google search:

https://cdn.coverstand.com/45926/419531/7cff7632c35b0bff86487c9d8dcfe0527c8ad08c.1.pdf

Thanks, Fouremco. That is quite a brochure, 196 pages. Has to be expensive, I can see why HAL would hesitate to send them out. Makes more sense to send it to travel agents who could share it with a number of people.

Thanks, Fouremco. That is quite a brochure, 196 pages. Has to be expensive, I can see why HAL would hesitate to send them out. Makes more sense to send it to travel agents who could share it with a number of people.

You're very welcome.

DW and I have recently given some though to expanding our cruise repertoire and book a river cruise. Filled in online request forms for several companies and received thick, glossy brochures within a couple of weeks. I'm sure that HAL doesn't pay any more to produce or mail their brochure, but maybe they have adopted a different marketing strategy.

Well, I have been using the old web site to search cruises because on the new one I have never been able to search, although I can do some things, such as find my current booking, search for items to purchase, find the "check in" page, etc. Yesterday afternoon I was searching the old site for future cruises. After I signed out, however, and then went back to try and check something, the old site would not load, and the new site still will not let me search for new cruises. Six hours later, the old site is still unavailable. I hope it is just a glitch.....:(

• 4 weeks later...

The new HAL website is TERRIBLE. Logging in is an excruciating experience. It doesn't take my saved emailed or my password. I have to retype each multiple times to log in. Then when I do, it's painful to do a search and then end up with a Guarantee. Then there's the process of selecting an ocean cabin in a specific category and seeing the price sometimes double. I'm flabbergasted that HAL would allow their name to be placed on such a poorly designed website. Then older one was clunky and frustrating, but in comparison with the new one, it was much much better. I give up.

I was sitting beside my friend last night as he tried to check his "private sale" rates for some upcoming cruises. He kept clicking on a cruise that was clearly labeled Nieuw Amsterdam, but it was linking to a similar itinerary for the Oosterdam. He tried it three times because he didn't believe it was happening. So, he found that Oosterdam sailing, clicked the link and it sent him to the NA listing he was looking to buy. These were links on the actual website and not from his email. Oy.